Your Druid Space

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
AFDruidAlex

Your Druid Space

Postby AFDruidAlex » 14 Jul 2012, 21:27

How does where you live influence your Druidic views? Does your home or the surrounding area have any significant meaning to you as a Druid? Have you made any additions to encourage your spirituality?

I was thinking of this earlier, and I've had a look around my house and yard just to feel the energy. At my home, we have a very large oak in the front yard surrounded by landscaping stones, and this tree to me has significant meaning. Generally larger, older trees are seen as "Guardian's of the Forest." That's what this tree is to my home, it's a guardian. You can feel it there, and it's an amazing feeling. I wanted to hear from all of you, about your homes. I want to know if anyone else has a connection like this, or if you've modeled your home to support you on your path. The place where you live is sacred, it's where you spend all of your time.
Living for the beauty of all nature, from the greatest tree to the smallest seed.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Your Druid Space

Postby Aphritha » 15 Jul 2012, 04:27

I do what I can to add spiritual reminders in the home. I have a wreath with a pentacle in the middle decorated to celebrate the seasons on my door. We have various fountains around the house, placed in specific spots to help with cash flow(though our potty is in a bad spot, according to Feng Shui!).
I wish I had more of a yard. I share it with other neighbors, but we do manage to keep a garden. Thinking about planting a tree in the front yard, if we can keep the landlord from mowing over it.

AFDruidAlex

Postby AFDruidAlex » 16 Jul 2012, 22:12

It's good to hear you're doing what you can with what you have, that's what it's all about! The house we lived in before my current one was in a neighborhood... And we didn't have a yard so it was very depressing. Now that we're in the country with a few acres it's easier to do what I want! Even though I'm only 18 and still live with my Christian parents... I sneak in what I can here and there.
Living for the beauty of all nature, from the greatest tree to the smallest seed.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 17 Jul 2012, 19:28

Having a few acres must be wonderful! You've always got place to hide and do your own thing. :D
I remember having to disguise stuff...how are some of the ways you've managed to? Though I will say with Druidry, it tends to be natural looking so there's less questions asked from those who wouldn't view it as positively!

plaidcat
OBOD Bard

Postby plaidcat » 29 Aug 2012, 17:13

I don't have much devoted space, because we are between apartments right now and living with my mom. Aside from an altar in the bedroom, I make do with visits to local and state parks. I've found some really magical spots during hiking and backpacking forays, places I didn't want to leave! One day I'll have a yard with a personal space!
Kestrel ~ Kayla

Image Image

Dragon

Postby Dragon » 04 Sep 2012, 23:09

My yard has ivy growing up the walls and at the base large pots with numerous shrubs. This makes a backdrop for meditation and ritual work. I can really lose myself in this small space and find welcome access to the Otherworld spirits and power animal friends/guides I have grown to know so well.

This year I knocked the outhouse down (before it fell down of its own accord !) and built an altar space with murals of green man amidst leaves cascading down the wall and mini waterfalls to the side corners. I have places for small animal figures, candles and incense. It has a different quality of magic to the other side of the yard with the ivy and shrubs. Here feels more formal for specific deity salutations and journeying to the upper realms of the Otherworld.

The concrete of the yard itself I divided into crazy paving and cheerful coloured gravel for the shrub area with the other half leading to the new altar area
being divided into brightly coloured squares each with a Celtic motif or animal or druid symbol. The effect is quite pleasant to the eye and gives a sense of power and vitality especially when the sun shines down on it.

Cheers. :gulp:

EmilyRaven
OBOD Bard

Postby EmilyRaven » 15 Sep 2012, 06:34

I live in an apartment, but I have an herb garden on my window ledge. There are rocks I have collected from hikes and rock shows all around my apartment. I do see my home as my Grove right now, even though it's temporary. Finally, I have cedar incense and a bunch of dried sage that I burn from time to time to add to the feeling of natural enchantment inside.

cypresseyes
OBOD Bard

Postby cypresseyes » 15 Sep 2012, 20:38

I plan on moving to Tennessee in a few years and making my new home my spiritual retreat. A few years back I purchased 15 acres of rolling hills. The land is alive with nature spirits. Plans are in place for a grove. The acres are 20% in grass, 25% wetlands with a creek running through it, and 55% hardwood and pine. It is the place where my heart dwells and my spirit soars.
"I am in the midst of my true life, I am most deeply myself. At times I feel as if I am spread out over the landscape and inside things, and am myself living in every tree, in the splashing of the waves, in the clouds, and the animals that come and go, in the procession the seasons..." Carl Jung: Memories, Dreams, Reflections

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 18 Sep 2012, 17:03

We live in an urban renewal area, meaning it was the edge of town in the 1890s, and now it is part of downtown.

Even in the relatively leafy cities of the midwest, it is difficult to find a quiet space you can make into something special. We had to sacrifice the back yard for a garage after we couldn't come to an agreement with a landlord who owned a parking lot. We have a herb container garden which is doing well, but we are on a major commuter route, so it never gets really quiet.

We have a picnic area at work that is alongside a river where I can take a few minutes in the morning. There's all sorts of wildlife and the banks are well-treed, muffling the sound of the city, and that seems to be the best I can do.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Kitty
OBOD Ovate

Postby Kitty » 28 Dec 2012, 03:47

My house is in the historic part of town, which means that not only is my house at least a hundred years old with wood everywhere inside, but we have two trees (one in the front and one in the back) which are just as old as the house. They are HUGE and cover practically our whole yard with shade. I have a screened in front porch, which is wonderful to sit in during the summer (but a bit too chilly this time of year), and we are saving up to add a retaining wall and fence for the back yard, since right now we are on a corner where there are always people wandering by and the neighbor's dogs randomly visiting, making it not the most ideal for setting anything up. I do have a small garden set up that I can grow a few herbs, and a compost in the far corner, but until we have the fence, that's about all I have for outdoors. Inside we took out the carpet on the main floor and refinished the gorgeous wood floors there, and repainted everything in browns and blues and greens. Then I made curtains in blues and greens for the whole house. All in all, it has a very calming and natural feel to it. So far the only room I've really 'finished' decorating is the bathroom, where I found a brown and blue shower curtain, I made a curtain that matches colors with that, we have green walls and brown towels hanging, along with TONS of photos I've taken of various places out in nature. I've had friends say it feels like being outside while inside.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?" Garth Nix, Old Kingdom Series

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 21 Jun 2013, 06:29

I live with my husband, a non druid, in a very small first floor apartment, overlooking a small residential car park. However, the car park and my home are encompassed by a grove of huge hornbeam trees. The sounds of birds early in the morning, particularly in summer, as now, makes you feel like you are living in woodland, rather than urban.

For all those with knowledge of trees, do you know anything about the hornbeam?

BB

Shirley
Try to live each day as if it were your last

Rebecca
OBOD Ovate

Postby Rebecca » 23 Jun 2013, 01:07

I live on a little acre plot. The house is all the way to one end and the rest of the property is pasture and garden with several stands of VERY large Douglas Fir, Western Red Cedar, and Western Hemlock. The property is surrounded on three sides by towering Firs. Birds sing constantly and eagles and hawks circle overhead (hunting rabbit). I have a lovely colony of Thatcher Ants (the mound is about 3 feet tall).

There is, unfortunately, a freeway in the distance, but I have convinced myself it is a river. A very loud river that is rushing from one place to another. The only thing I cannot change or imagine away is the neighbors. They are loud, profane, and disgusting. I spend much of my time outside with my back to that side of the property. I get lost in the great trees as I lay on my deck and look up.
Formerly known as blodyn

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jun 2013, 01:17

Hmm...could you plant a hedge?

Rebecca
OBOD Ovate

Postby Rebecca » 23 Jun 2013, 02:13

Hmm...could you plant a hedge?
Yes, but sound travels. And it doesn't help that their house is just slightly higher than ours. And the county says that I cannot build a 10 foot fence with concertina wire on it.

However, we DID have a hedge. A beautiful hedge of blackberries. And one day whilst we were at work, she cut them all down. Actually went right through the fence and snipped the poor things off at the ground.

However, the blackberries of Washington state are not so easily defeated. She was told in no uncertain terms that if she EVER cut anything on our property again, she would be prosecuted. And the blackberries are happily growing. Not quite as full as they were before, but it won't take long!
Formerly known as blodyn

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jun 2013, 05:01

Blackberries are a nice way of coping. :) We have a chain link fence around our yard that grows whatever-it-is-that-comes-up. A neighbor does not appreciate it, but she isn't overly aggressive about it. After all, we don't share a fence(she's on the driveway/garage side). She doesn't trim our shrubs, as she'd have to come onto our property to do so, but she does hint and offer us lawn clippers quite often. Nice woman, but she's the spray the lawn and sweep the driveway type, while we're more "lets see what grows if we let it" type. We manage to coexist, though.

Rebecca
OBOD Ovate

Postby Rebecca » 23 Jun 2013, 05:40

Blackberries are a nice way of coping. :) We have a chain link fence around our yard that grows whatever-it-is-that-comes-up. A neighbor does not appreciate it, but she isn't overly aggressive about it. After all, we don't share a fence(she's on the driveway/garage side). She doesn't trim our shrubs, as she'd have to come onto our property to do so, but she does hint and offer us lawn clippers quite often. Nice woman, but she's the spray the lawn and sweep the driveway type, while we're more "lets see what grows if we let it" type. We manage to coexist, though.
That sounds great! Our neighbors are the gun-selling, flag waving, NRA, scream profanities type. We practice common courtesy and hope they move. She did try to cut down one of our madrona trees once. ONCE. My husband read her the riot act. They have this incredible urge to cut trees - they had two beautiful trees in their backyard - and they cut them down. For no reason I could ascertain. Of course, one of them got even and smushed a part of their house. This was a VERY large tree. They had an apple tree in the front yard - cut it down. A perfectly health tree. I wonder if that is why all the trees are sprouting on our side of the fence? Because they know we won't cut them down?? Hmmm...

I like the "see what comes up" approach myself. Our biggest problem is fir trees. Douglas Fir is prolific and they are taking over everything. We have to be quite firm as to where they can and cannot grow.
Formerly known as blodyn

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 23 Jun 2013, 15:10

That sounds great! Our neighbors are the gun-selling, flag waving, NRA, scream profanities type. We practice common courtesy and hope they move. She did try to cut down one of our madrona trees once. ONCE. My husband read her the riot act. They have this incredible urge to cut trees - they had two beautiful trees in their backyard - and they cut them down. For no reason I could ascertain. Of course, one of them got even and smushed a part of their house. This was a VERY large tree. They had an apple tree in the front yard - cut it down. A perfectly health tree. I wonder if that is why all the trees are sprouting on our side of the fence? Because they know we won't cut them down?? Hmmm...
Sounds like you have a bunch of survivalists trying to deny cover and open up fields of fire to turn the house into a stronghold.

Common courtesy is the way to go.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 23 Jun 2013, 15:49

Sorry for your neighbors, blodyn...they sound absolutely irritating!

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 24 Jun 2013, 18:57

I live on a small plot of land, in a 100 year old house, surrounded by field and forest in the Gatineau Hills. This part of the country is integral to my spiritual work - inseparable, really. Since I moved here (from a very different life, I grew up in Toronto) I've made it my goal to learn every plant, bird, rock, stream lake and animal, as much history, both of the land and the people, as I can- an ongoing process! I feel inextricably linked to the land; my family on my dad's side have been here for a very long time, relatively speaking (Europeans, mostly Irish) but my inner link is to something much older here. I have felt like a guardian long before I came to Druidry. I do hope to move a little further out and onto more acreage in the years ahead, but it won't be easy to leave this particular spot. I just hope to leave it touched by some blessing that carries forward. One of my tasks here has been to ease the damage done by farmers spraying along the roadside and trying to wipe out every wild carrot, Solomon's Seal, milkweed etc they encounter; if the work I am doing helps enlighten these men, and ease the burden on the land, I will move to my final home with peace in my heart. but it will never be easy; the thought of saying adieu to my guardian Oak, the shimmering silver maple and my sweet, dying aspen, not to mention the garden I have tended with such love, is incredibly difficult.

I have an amazing array of plants on this plot; almost everything I could need, as a herbalist. Over the Solstice weekend I started building a fairy corner, by the Northeast tip of the property, where a row of cedar connects with a tangle of apple, hawthorn, raspberry and black currant, and leads out to a hedge of (transplanted) comfrey. I've honoured the spirits of the land here for close to a decade, and they have been so good to me. I suppose that will be something of value, whether I am able to influence the hearts of the poisoners or not.

I'm blessed to be here.

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 22 Jul 2013, 14:53

I have a rather awkward relationship with my space, as I am actually not very fond of where I live and it is causing some grief in my own mental happiness (I think I'm mostly just home sick). I live in a downtown area, in a place which does not readily give you access to much nature unless you own a car, which I do not. We have a pretty small apartment, but we have finally moved somewhere that has a balcony, and our windows are surrounded by a couple of big trees. Being on the fourth floor means that we are level with the foliage, and can watch it change throughout the year. From the balcony, you can also see the ocean (though you have to look through a lot of old buildings and smoke stacks...)

We want to make our balcony into more of a green space, but winter comes around so quickly :gloomy:

Return to “Druid Living”