The non-electric life

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Whitemane
OBOD Bard

The non-electric life

Postby Whitemane » 09 Apr 2013, 20:20

I thought some of you might like to know, or be reminded of, a place called Lehman's http://www.lehmans.com.

It serves the Amish and conservative Mennonite community in Northern Ohio, and has extensive selections of non-electrical household items that can be very useful for those of you seeking to live closer to the land.

It did very well in the run up to Y2K and achieved some fame as one of the last places in the US where you could by a non-electric can opener. (There are even bus tours to their main store, which is in Kidron, Ohio :???: )

For those living in Britain and Europe, a lot of what they sell is made in Europe, so you may get ideas on manufacturers and suppliers to turn to.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Spanish Moss

Re: The non-electric life

Postby Spanish Moss » 09 Apr 2013, 20:28

This is all kinds of awesome. I have been buying a lot of none electric items at antique stores. It is where we got our can opener when the old one broke.

I dare say one of those coffe mills will be mine. :wink:

Thanks for sharing.

Blessings,
-Spanish Moss

"Lost in a thicket bare-foot upon a thorned path."

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 09 Apr 2013, 20:43

I've never used an electric can opener, what's one of those?
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

Ulchabhán
OBOD Bard

Postby Ulchabhán » 09 Apr 2013, 21:40

I second Skydove. I have never owned or used an electric can opener. I don't know anyone who has one either! (Well that's not strictly true, my Grandfather has one that he and my Grandmother were given as a present, but it remains in the box it came in. He never saw the point of it and happily uses a non-electric one like the rest of us :grin: )

nightfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby nightfire » 09 Apr 2013, 22:03

I LOVE Lehman's and have ordered from them on several occasions. Great line of non-electric and other misc. products and outstanding customer service. :)

Nightfire

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 09 Apr 2013, 22:21

I've never used an electric can opener, what's one of those?
An exercise in laziness, or is that a contradiction in terms? :oops:
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 09 Apr 2013, 23:41

I thought it was much more work to figure out how to use the electric can opener...I lived with people that had one, but I used the manual one. Seemed easier.

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 11 Apr 2013, 15:30

Not to take the thread too off topic, but I had no idea it was hard to find manual can openers...I bought my latest one a couple of years ago in the kitchen tools aisle of the grocery store. Reminds me of a young man I used to know who worked in the tools and hardware section of Sears...one day a customer came in asking for a cordless screwdriver (and yes, that's a screwdriver with a rechargeable battery powering a small motor so you don't have to turn it by hand); the young fellow led him to the display of regular ordinary screwdrivers (he didn't misunderstand, he was just making a point). The customer was startled, then thoughtful, then bought one of the traditional-type screwdrivers.

I'm glad to know there still exists a lot of "cordless" devices and that places like Lehman's carry them. The Vermont Country Store has a lot of old-fashioned (as well as modern) products, too.
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Spanish Moss

Postby Spanish Moss » 11 Apr 2013, 16:16

I can't speak for others but it was crazy finding one here when the old one broke. We tried several different stores looking for a manual one. It wasn't until we were browsing things at an antique store did we find one.

Blessings,
-Spanish Moss

"Lost in a thicket bare-foot upon a thorned path."

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 11 Apr 2013, 17:48

We have a very sturdy manual can-opener from Kitchen Aid, and I think IKEA has a nice manual opener too.

I have a friend whose sole preparation for Y2K (she was cynical about the whole thing) was to buy a manual can opener - hence the origin of my comment.
All love surround you,
Guide your way on.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 11 Apr 2013, 19:45

I have a friend whose sole preparation for Y2K (she was cynical about the whole thing) was to buy a manual can opener -
I suppose it is better than being stuck with a year's supply of baked beans. :thinking:
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Opal

Postby Opal » 20 May 2013, 17:39

Has any one gone non-electric in their own homes ( and besides while camping)? Obviously if you are reading this you are using electricity right now, but I have often thought that, one year, during the summer I would like to try an electricity fast (barring necessary use such as in cooking). I would do it for the experience as well as to raise money for charity.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?

BCPantheist
OBOD Bard

Postby BCPantheist » 17 Apr 2016, 21:55

Has any one gone non-electric in their own homes ( and besides while camping)? Obviously if you are reading this you are using electricity right now, but I have often thought that, one year, during the summer I would like to try an electricity fast (barring necessary use such as in cooking). I would do it for the experience as well as to raise money for charity.

Does anyone here have any experience with this?
I would love to do this, as well. I think it would be interesting to gather a group of like-minded pagans to create a non-electric community-hall sort of space that is completely non-electric.
We are earth-born, children of nature, and related to every living thing. (Steven Foster)

Woodwose Radio Podcast: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/woodwose

WhitePine
OBOD Bard

Postby WhitePine » 19 Apr 2016, 03:25

On trying the "electric fast", I've had a couple of good experiences.

Last spring, I went one full lunar cycle without using any electric lights in my home (and without using the computer, etc. after dark). I really looked forward to lighting a couple of candles in the evening, and it had the unexpected benefit of significantly improving my sleep: naturally going to bed earlier, easier to fall asleep, and deeper sleep once I was there.

I also have friends who do something similar, not for a full month, but for a day or two around each new moon, to really lean in to that darkness. I've had good luck with this at certain periods of my life, and should probably try to resume the habit.

Journey
OBOD Ovate

Postby Journey » 22 Apr 2016, 15:50

I loved the store and there are some things on that list that I want! Unfortunately the can opener is not one of them as I cannot turn the handle due to the arthritis . Sad face... :-(
I do want the floor sweeper! :yay:
Brightest blessings,
¸.•♥•.¸¸.•♥• ☽❀Journey❀☾•♥•.¸¸.•♥•.¸

Life's Mystical Journey Spiritual Supplies
http://lifesmysticaljourney.com/

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 23 Apr 2016, 06:25

I know I live in the backlands but in all my life I have only once, in the early nineties, witnessed the operation of an electric can opener. :o

Great link though... I'm currently pondering the acquisition of a rolling sweeper. Got the idea from my Roomba (yes, I do have one of those, it's an essential if you have three cats shedding up the place) that uses the same technology basically and picks up a lot more pethair than the vacuum from our carpets.

Edit: no, my cats don't ride the Roomba ;D
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Màiri
OBOD Bard

Postby Màiri » 24 Apr 2016, 15:46

This reminds me of a joke:
A politician, a priest and a physicist stranded on a desert island. :adrift:
The only thing they could save was a can of baked beans but they had no can opener and thought about a solution. The priest suggested to pray, the politician said "Let's wait and see" and the physicist said "Supposed the can is open" ...
"Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky" (Khalil Gibran)

Return to “Druid Living”