Starting to learn about druidry

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
TheMopPetal2

Starting to learn about druidry

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 15 Nov 2013, 00:01

Hello! Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes... I found a free course through the Druid College and started reading it but I keep finding myself falling victim to to the fact that i have a low attention span and end up reading a little bit about druidry and then i go off and do something else or research something else to keep my mind going and the gears in my mind turning. Its really hard for me to sit down even for 15 mins at a time and just concentrate on one thing. No matter what I always have to be doing 50 thousand things at once to keep myself from feeling bored. This has allowed me to learn a lot of things but a lot of the times it keeps me from learning a lot of things too.

My question is, how can I soothe my ADD and need to be concentrating on multiple things at once while only concentrating on one thing at a time?

WildOak

Re: Starting to learn about druidry

Postby WildOak » 15 Nov 2013, 06:18

My partner with ADD finds it helpful to have background noise on almost constantly. Would it help if you had music on while you were reading? If the thing you're trying to concentrate on is already audio, maybe try keeping your hands busy with a craft or doodling in a notebook.

(Maybe also consider if it's easier for you to concentrate on reading or listening, and try to find information in that format.)

I don't know if either of those ideas will work for you. Different things work for different people. But basically, try to find sources of sensory input that complement each other instead of one distracting you from the other.

From what I've seen of ADD, it seems that you need more than one type of input, to keep ALL parts of your brain busy, in order to be able to focus on something for more than a few minutes. Of course I'm only basing this on my experiences with a couple people; your needs might be different. Most importantly, don't be afraid of doing things differently than other people, if that's what works for you.

Return to “Druid Living”