Advice for my cat

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
TheMopPetal2

Advice for my cat

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 03 Mar 2014, 08:30

I have a Maine Coon cat and he's around 13-15 years old and i took him to the vet to get a checkup for him and get some tests done as he has started pooping and peeing on the floor within the last couple weeks and found out that he has diabetes and we'd have to give him insulin shots everyday to keep him healthy.

We feel like it would be a diservice to him if we resort to giving him shots everyday just to satisfy our selfish need to keep him around even if he's suffering. I also dont want to put him to sleep willy nilly so i feel like I'm caught between a rock and a hard place with this one. I dont want to come home from work obe day and he ended up dieing alone and unhappy. We're seriously considering putting him down but i wanted to see how other people feel about this situation as well before we do anything. He'slike a best friend to me since weve had him since I was 9 or 10 years old so I dont want to do anything that'd be disrespectful to him.

Given the fact that he's been peeing on the floor(seems like everything we do to get him to stop doesnt work) what does everyone think we should do, give him shots everyday or just put him to sleep?

TheMopPetal2

Re: Advice for my cat

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 03 Mar 2014, 08:31

Feel free to move this question around if I posted it in the wrong place.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 03 Mar 2014, 17:11

I would very strongly suggest to give him the shots. My childhood cat also turned up with diabetes at age 9. We opted to give her insulin; she made it quite happily to age 17. Hers was pill form instead of shot; you might inquire if that is an option.
Diabetes isn't necessarily a death sentence, and if managed, he shouldn't suffer. The eliminating all over the house should stop once his symptoms are managed. He may be doing this jus tto let you know he feels ill.

Kiara
OBOD Bard

Postby Kiara » 03 Mar 2014, 17:33

I also agree with giving him the shots. We had a kitty who also had diabetes. After three months of insulin shots and a terrifying night in the pet hospital, his body kicked in and started producing what he needed. No more shots. Just because a kitty has diabetes now, doesn't mean he will forever like a human. We were shocked to find this out (the terrifying night in the hospital) but happy he lived another 5 years afterward. He eventually died of unrelated stomach cancer.

As for the peeing, you must be extremely diligent. Once a spot has be peed on, you must clean like you've never cleaned before (highly recommend getting odor destroying spray). Once a kitty has made a spot a bathroom, if they even get a slight whiff of pee (they have way better smelling abilities than us pink skins), they'll use that spot continuously. The peeing might actually just be him trying to adjust to new situations (ie: diabetes and daily shots). Most kitties are not highly adaptable. This might clear up once the shots becomes routine. Just give it time and be super diligent with cleaning.

I understand your internal conflict completely as I've had to make this choice five times now. The last kitty we had to allow to pass on was receiving daily bags of solution for kidney failure so I really understand the conflict of "am I being selfish" or "is this really making him better". But I guarantee that diabetes isn't a death sentence and actually has the possibility of reversal, as in the case of my kitty. Right now, your kitty is having a rough spot but once the medication becomes routine and evens things out, he'll feel better. Daily insulin shots is not you being selfish; patience and compassion is what you have.
ImageImage

TheMopPetal2

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 03 Mar 2014, 21:57

Thanks for the answers so far! I will definetely look into other alternatives to the shots. I really do feel like we would be treating him unfairly if we just put him down without trying anything first. Weve been feeding him softer food that has lots of protein and he has been gaining more weight since then.

Kiara
OBOD Bard

Postby Kiara » 03 Mar 2014, 22:21

If you do manage to change to pill form (much easier for sure), don't struggle giving the pill to Mr. Kitty unless it's necessary. We once spent three days having horrid pill-giving experiences only to find out on day three when the pill slipped out of his mouth, that our Mr. Kitty would eat it right out of my hand. Three days of "hold him while I pry open his jaws and throw this pill down his throat" could have been adverted if I had just let him sniff the pill from my hand from day one. After that, pill-giving was easy peasy. They do wonderful things with the pills now (ie: coat them in yummy, whiskerlicious, kitty-approved flavours). :grin:
ImageImage

TheMopPetal2

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 04 Mar 2014, 00:55

I will try to give him the shots myself as well if i have to. I still live with my mom(I'm only 22 though) and she just wants to get him euthanized even though I told her that I will pay for and give him the necessary meds myself. So idk what is going to happen. I keep trying to tell her that it would be even more selfish and unfair if we just give up on him this easily but she wont listen to me unfortunately so idk whats going to happen...

TheMopPetal2

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 04 Mar 2014, 05:29

I was finally able to convince my mom to let me buy whatever meds we need so I'll be doing that asap! Im glad i was able to convince her because something was telling me that it would have been unfair and mean to just put him down.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 04 Mar 2014, 05:45

I'm glad everything is worked out. :) Best wishes to your feline; I'm sure he'll be back to normal in no time.

TheMopPetal2

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 13 Mar 2014, 05:06

Well I've been giving my cat insulin shots for almost a week now and its not as bad as i thought it would be as long as its quick. If theres any anticipation then he gets a little nervous. I came home from work today to notice that there is no (noticeable) pee or poop on the floor and on top of that we dont have to pull teeth to get him to go in his box as much anymore, most of the time we dont even have to tell him now. He seems more lively and not quite as lethargic as he used to be. He hasnt gained much weight yet as he weighs around 8-9 pounds but im sure if we give it time he will get to a healthier weight. When I gave him his shot today all i had to do was call him to the kitchen and he came without question and laid down tright away as if he knew what i was going to do. I think he knows he needs the insulin and thsts why he doesnt give me a hatd time when I give hime his shot which is once every 12 hours.

I'm glad we didnt put him down! Maybe we wont have to give him shots at all eventually!

Thanks for the advice everyone, it really helped me and my mom have peace of mind knowing that we're doing the right thing for him and what seems like a recovery for him is confirmation of that! I feel like this is allowing me to become closer to my cat as a member of the family instead of just a pet as weird as that sounds. I love that cat just like anyone would love another member of their human family!

Thanks again!

Kiara
OBOD Bard

Postby Kiara » 13 Mar 2014, 14:30

This is excellent news! :yay:
It wonderful that Mr. Kitty is taking to the insulin so well.

As for the family member opposed to a "pet", it's not weird at all. I've had cats all my life and each one of them was a family member for sure. We've always considered them all our fur kids.
ImageImage

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 13 Mar 2014, 20:14

So delighted puss is ok. It is hard to see them suffering and not be able to help but what you are doing is clearly giving him a new lease of life.

I have lost two cats as an adult and they were way more than just pets in both cases it was like losing a close friend or family member which is in fact what they both were.

May you and yours have a long and happy time together
Fire Oak

ImageImage

TristessaKC

Postby TristessaKC » 25 Mar 2014, 21:27

How is Kitty doing?

I had a cat dumped at our campground a while back. We took him to the vet and found out he was about 12 years old. Poor thing was skin and bones and was terrified that we were going to hit him. Anyway, I took him to the vet and he had to have 8 teeth pulled. After four years of happiness with him he started peeing everywhere and was losing his fur on the backs of his feet and nose. I took him in and he had diabetes. I did try and give him shots but he would have none of it. He would scream and pee all over every time I gave him one. I'm a vet assistant and I've been trained how to give shots and I just couldn't bear doing that to him all the time. I asked about pills but apparently my vets are in the dark ages and it wasn't available. After about a month of this he got a bladder infection. Every week for a month I had to drag him back to hear him scream while they stuck a needle through his side into his bladder to get a sample. I felt I was torturing the poor thing. I made the very difficult decision to put him to sleep. I miss him everyday. He had a good last 4 1/2 years with me. I have his ashes. I have lots of pictures and video. He is by far the most talkative cat I've every owned. "Meowf" at ya Frankie!
Life is not about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain

TheMopPetal2

Postby TheMopPetal2 » 10 Jun 2014, 06:34

Sorry its been so long since I've posted an update. I have read and valued everyone's input on this thread and others I've made concerning my cat Bailey. The decisions I've had to make concerning Bailey have been probably the toughest Ive had to make in my young life thus far but everyone on here has made it a little more easier for me since you guys have posted your personal experiences and decision making processes concerning things like this. Thanks everyone for putting yourself in my shoes and caring enough to post an informed and empathetic/caring reply!

After a month in a half to two months or so of giving him insulin shots(which he didnt seem to mind much) and repeated vet visits for checkups and more meds for him with little to no positive results, we decided to put him to sleep. Its been a month in a half or so since he passed away and even though it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make, I think it was the right one. I looked at pics i took of him barely 6 months before he passed away and he looked so much more healthier and lively. His health took a turn for the worst pretty much overnight. He went very peacefully from what it looked like. Im glad the people that he loved and loved him was with him when he passed. I love Bailey Boy very much and think of him every day. This forum was one of the few places where I could get good/solid advise for what we should do to help Bailey.

Thanks again everyone!

Whitemane
OBOD Ovate

Postby Whitemane » 10 Jun 2014, 13:22

Sad news. It's always a difficult decision, but when all other possibilities have been exhausted, it is the right one.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Return to “Druid Living”