Organic vs Local

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Harv
OBOD Ovate

Organic vs Local

Postby Harv » 30 Mar 2014, 20:59

Good evening all,

I wonder if I could call on the collective wisdom here to help with my current dilemma.

I am a vegetarian in the UK and like to eat as much organic food as possible. Usually I purchase this during my weekly trip to the (dreaded) supermarket, however, a lot of the organic fruit and veg is imported from outside of the country, thereby racking up a lot of food miles.

I am able to obtain more seasonal food from a local farm shop, but the fruit and veg cannot always be guaranteed to be organic (some is labelled as such and some not).

Therefore, my dilemma is, do I buy organic labelled food from the supermarket (with possible high levels of food miles) or do I shop local for low food mileage but with the acceptance that the food is possibly not organic?

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts...

Apologies if this has been asked before (although a search did not show anything).

Many thanks,

Harv.

Wolf Dreamer
OBOD Druid

Re: Organic vs Local

Postby Wolf Dreamer » 31 Mar 2014, 02:17

Hi Harv,

Its such a personal choice and a tough one at that. I prefer organic as much as possible because I don't like to eat pesticides, but if you know a local grower and trust their methods that might be a good choice too. It might be a little selfish on my part but I'd rather have a few more food miles and get better food. Just my humble opinion.

Blessings,

Wolf Dreamer
:wolf:
"Follow your bliss. If you do follow your bliss you
put yourself on a kind of track that has been there all the while
waiting for you, and the life you ought to be living is the one you are living.
If you follow your bliss, doors will open that wouldn't have opened for anyone else."

- Joseph Campbell

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 31 Mar 2014, 07:54

A lot of local food in my area is for all intensive purposes organic. It isn't sold as organic because to be able to label food organic where I live it needs to be certified organic and our local small market gardeners and backyard gardeners just don't have the financial resources to become certified. The important thing is to know where your food comes from. If it's local and grown just like your grandad use to grow it with a bit of chook poo for fertilizer and nothing more than a garlic spray to curb the bugs well I'll purchase that anyday as my first preference over factory farmed organic hydroponic glasshouse vegies.
Crinia
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 01 Apr 2014, 10:19

Have you talked to the farm shop about the produce they sell ? For some producers it is too expensive to obtain "organic" status or they are too close to non organic producers to qualify.You may be reassured if you get information direct .

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 01 Apr 2014, 18:02

A lot of local food in my area is for all intensive purposes organic. It isn't sold as organic because to be able to label food organic where I live it needs to be certified organic and our local small market gardeners and backyard gardeners just don't have the financial resources to become certified. The important thing is to know where your food comes from. If it's local and grown just like your grandad use to grow it with a bit of chook poo for fertilizer and nothing more than a garlic spray to curb the bugs well I'll purchase that anyday as my first preference over factory farmed organic hydroponic glasshouse vegies.
Crinia
This is also the approach I take. A visit to the farm can be fascinating, anyways.

iceantia
OBOD Bard

Postby iceantia » 20 May 2014, 23:53

Hi Harv,
Not sure what country you are from (I am in the UK) but I get my fruit/veg from a 'organic veg box' website and I get a box of veg delivered to my door each week
Unlike the supermarkets the drivers have rounds and as such deliver to loads of people in one round rather than doing trips to and from a depot like the supermarkets would so reducing their carbon footprint on the deliveries. (also means delivery is only 99p a week!)
They have all the countries of origin on their website and you can swap any items you do not like as they tell you in advance what you should be getting (assuming there is no problem with the supply which you sometimes get problems with certain items during droughts/floods etc)
I also get meat from them too as all their meat is either freerange/organic - they also do a full range of organic produce so it is possible to do a full weekly shop with them.
Hopefully if you are not UK based there are similar things where you are!
If you want their information just ask :)

Nathan
OBOD Bard

Postby Nathan » 21 May 2014, 12:22

Have you talked to the farm shop about the produce they sell ? For some producers it is too expensive to obtain "organic" status or they are too close to non organic producers to qualify.You may be reassured if you get information direct .
This is precisely the case with a number of small farms here in the U.S. Coupled with the fact that our organic certification is almost meaningless, the best thing to do is have a conversation with the growers.
ImageImage

Return to “Druid Living”