Yuck!

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Yuck!

Postby Aphritha » 12 Jun 2014, 01:32

We've discovered we have bed bugs. We decided we didn't want to share living quarters with them, however. We tried to charge them rent, but this did not seem to encourage them to leave. An exterminator isn't possible. Any tips for sending them on their way, or at the very least, controlling them?

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Yuck!

Postby DJ Droood » 12 Jun 2014, 03:00

We've discovered we have bed bugs. We decided we didn't want to share living quarters with them, however. We tried to charge them rent, but this did not seem to encourage them to leave. An exterminator isn't possible. Any tips for sending them on their way, or at the very least, controlling them?

Not going to be a quick/easy job....collect up everything in your apartment/home...wash all the clothing you want to keep....good time to throw out anything you don;t want....and wash *everything*, especially all bedding, including pillows, stuffed animals, etc....If there is stuff you can't wash, or you just have too much stuff to wash, put as much as you can in a car (preferably your own or someone you know) on a hot day...the heat will kill them in about an hour...cold does nothing, so it is good to have them in the summer. Push all your stuff to the middle of the room and get the place sprayed...pro is best, but DIY if you have too...around the baseboards.... Get your pets out and stay with a friend for a couple of days...Put a mattress cover over your mattress...special bed-bug mattress cover. Call your city's social services department...bed bugs are endemic (or maybe pandemic...they are everywhere...), and they will probably have tips and maybe even stuff like bed bug covers. Put masking tape around the legs of your bed.

Don't panic...they are gross, but they don't carry disease...they do bite, though....if you notice little pimply things in a triangle, those are bed bug bites. If they are bad enough, their excreta can cause rashes, especially on your upper arms/shoulders, where you make contact with your pillow.

Stay vigilant. Check places like the corners of your sofa cushions, corners and folds of your mattress, etc...you may have to repeat the whole process a couple of times as the bed bugs go through their life cycle.

Don;t beat yourself up....they are everywhere...it has nothing to do with housekeeping...you can pick them up on the city bus, movie theaters, hotels, restaurants, friend's house, etc.

This has all the info you need:
http://bedbugsinfo.ca
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 12 Jun 2014, 04:38

It was almost a relief to find them; turns out I'm allergic to them, so it finally gave explanation to the constant hives. Good idea with the car; I think that might be a way to save our bedding(not so sure many people are going to want us using their washer to wash it). We discovered them when we were replacing our bed, so at least the old mattress is gone now. I feel very fortunate that we have hardwood floors. Should make things a bit simpler, I think.
Thanks for the advice. :)

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 12 Jun 2014, 04:39

Cold actually does kill them. But that reqiires sometyhing like -20 C and at least a day or two. If you were living in a cabin in the north of Canada or Sweden, without any waterpipes and this was winter you would have an easy solution. But in summer, you are basically going to need an exterminator. I would expect that your homeowners insurance would cover the cost, but I have no idea if this is the case.
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 12 Jun 2014, 05:02

Unfortunately, we're not homeowners, so no insurance. Renter insurance isn't required here, so we don't have that, either. Extermination would be out of pocket, and simply isn't affordable, unless they'll go off of my husband's good looks... :grin:
I'll be happy if I can keep them down to a dull roar.

TristessaKC

Postby TristessaKC » 24 Jun 2014, 10:04

Oh geez! Well, like you said you have found the cause for your hives....one mystery solved!!!

I know it's been a bit since you posted this...how are things going?
Life is not about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 24 Jun 2014, 16:30

I've thrown some bedding in the truck, but haven't gotten it out yet(with it being in the 80s, haven't been too worried about stuffed comforters). Everything's been scrubbed pretty well, but they reappeared on the new mattress. I put on my war paint and came screeching out of the shadows at them with a can of lysol. Did this for a few days, and they haven't come back. If they do, I'll be ready.
At least it'll be obvious when they're around; hives don't lie.

Moonleaf
OBOD Bard

Postby Moonleaf » 17 Jul 2014, 08:16

I heard that they don't like light, especially sunshine...so maybe when you get up in the morning don't remake the bed but leave the sheets off it and let the sunshine in. Maybe take some Echinacea to boost your immune system too - if you haven't already. I think most beds get them unfortunately but there are things that help to make it less of a luxury hotel for them! I guess Google will have something on it somewhere!

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 17 Jul 2014, 12:44

If you can borrow a germicidal ultraviolet light, you could irradiate the bed with it. Close the door and leave the lamp on during the day. After a few hours the room will smell like peroxide, which is good because it will kill anything small in the room.

Air the room out afterwards.

You shouldn't need to do this more than once, and also put anything delicate in a cupboard, wardrobe, or drawer. Ultraviolet will bleach anything.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 17 Jul 2014, 14:18

If you can borrow a germicidal ultraviolet light, you could irradiate the bed with it. Close the door and leave the lamp on during the day. After a few hours the room will smell like peroxide, which is good because it will kill anything small in the room.

Air the room out afterwards.

You shouldn't need to do this more than once, and also put anything delicate in a cupboard, wardrobe, or drawer. Ultraviolet will bleach anything.

I won't bother posting links...you can find the same stuff I did by googling "does germicidal ultraviolet light kill bedbugs"...but it doesn't look promising...I wish it was that simple...I bet a lot of property managers do too!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 17 Jul 2014, 16:18

So far, we've got them pretty low. Everything's been cleaned, and as far as the bed goes, we check all the hot spots daily, and flip the mattress every few days. If we see a bug/s, they're sprayed, but they've been pretty sparse. Thank god they haven't made their way to the kid's room...its the only one with carpeting. I do think they live in the baseboards. I found a clever idea about putting double sided tape around the bed so when they crawl up the legs at night, they get stuck. Haven't done it yet, but I mean to...
Being as they don't like light, maybe I should move my bed to the corner of the room with the windows...

Return to “Druid Living”