Approaching An Injured Tree

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Approaching An Injured Tree

Postby Aphritha » 31 Aug 2014, 17:55

We've got two trees on our property; one is an elm, the other a basswood(it took me quite some time to figure out the species of them, but I've got it now). The elm's in fairly good shape, but I never feel much 'communication' between us. It does its thing, I do mine. I suppose trees can be introverts, too....
The basswood in the front yard is quite gorgeous. It provides shade, and has a peaceful aura to it. However, half of it is missing. We live on a fairly busy street, and there's powerlines on our side of the street. Occasionally, the electric company comes and shaves off the half of the tree that faces the road. There isn't much I can do about it.
Sometimes I feel hesitant in building a relationship with the tree due to this; I feel alot of guilt over the situation. After all, even if I didn't chose what's going on, I still benefit from it. When I go to sit under it, I always come back to the thoughts of how uncomfortable it must be for the tree, to have to deal with limbs being torn off to make life easier for everyone else.
Maybe I'm being silly, but I figured the sentiment might be tolerated here amongst Druids...
How would you respond to a similar situation? I'd really like to form a better bond with this tree.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Approaching An Injured Tree

Postby DaRC » 01 Sep 2014, 14:07

Hmm an interesting point, the ent (or is it my favourite tree) in me says
"Limbs get shorn by ice, wind & lightning fire as well as men, hmmmmmm I just grow another."
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

andromeda
OBOD Ovate

Postby andromeda » 01 Sep 2014, 16:33

You can have a talk with the tree in question and suggest that it starts growing in a different way because the humans that mutilate it will not change their behavior.

Unless the tree dryad is trying to make a point it is likely that will ponder about your suggestion

In the other side of the road where my house is, there is an old conquer tree which get battered by all the wind storms that are common on the sea side. I always felt sorry for it until one day I asked why it was growing that way where the wind will get it. The tree told me that his work was to protect the others behind him which were much weaker and young so it didn't mind. Aesthetics are a human thing not a tree thing it told me, just because it was dishabilled it didn't mean that there was anything wrong with it. Then the lady that owns that patch got it cut last year and rather than looking better now it looks worse but the tree is happy enough. I see it every day through out the day from my home office window.

Trees have mysterious ways too
ImageImage

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 01 Sep 2014, 16:58

That's a good story, andromeda. Perhaps this tree doesn't care, either....or maybe its used to it and doesn't think about it anymore. This house has been here close to 100 years, and I'm betting the tree was here most(if not all) of that time. I'm not sure what the timeline for power lines being added were. Probably long enough for the tree to adjust. I did notice it tries to 'pull back' close to the lines, and doesn't grow as thickly on the one side. Sometimes the smaller branches are what reaches towards it...maybe they're so small to the tree it just considers them like hair or fingernails. I'll have to ask it.

Return to “Druid Living”