Life Without the Internet

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Life Without the Internet

Postby Aphritha » 23 Sep 2014, 18:34

The powers that be have decided we are to be without internet. Or, more like the random signal in the neighborhood that was showing up is gone now. It was nice while it lasted. I feel fortunate it was there as long as it was. And to be honest, life hasn't been TOO hard without it. I think the thing I have the most trouble with is communicating to others that internet is not a daily reality for the family. We don't have it in our home, we don't have it on our phone, and we're not in places daily that allow us access to such. (I am able to use wifi on laundry days, Tuesday and Friday mornings.)
In a day where I'm getting letters sent home on how I can download ebooks for my son's school and instructions to go online to get the newsletter, and I'm in groups that are counting on me having access to websites, how do I properly communicate that this isn't going to work for me? How have others here made the internetless life, or using LESS internet work for them?

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Life Without the Internet

Postby DJ Droood » 24 Sep 2014, 02:06

I feel that our lives have become so dependent on the internet for so many things, for better or worse, that free wifi access in urban areas should be a basic human right, along with decent clothing, food and shelter. Call me a commie :shrug:
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 24 Sep 2014, 09:21

Hmm for work reasons I have to have Internet connectivity (overnight on-call support), in the old days I used to have to get up & drive into the office!

However, here in the UK it has been a recognised problem and for that reason most county councils (if not all) have free wi-fi in libraries. As children reach secondary school the lack of wi-fi does become a much greater problem because homework is set on-line. Libraries and after school clubs mitigate this so that kids without wifi can do their homework then.

This is an old link about Guerilla Wifi networks... maybe your area has one OR do you know someone who could download the ebooks etc and transfer them to a hard drive for you?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... le-online/ Merakis ultimately was bought out by Cisco (who provide the web's hardware) and so the project stalled in 2012. It's the sort of problem big techy companies (e.g. Google, Accenture) and also smaller local techy companies may be interested in supporting or helping with.

Adding a strapline to your email correspondence, texts etc... stating which days you can get access to Wifi is probably the only way to indicate that you're not on-line 24/7.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Sep 2014, 15:43

I feel that our lives have become so dependent on the internet for so many things, for better or worse, that free wifi access in urban areas should be a basic human right, along with decent clothing, food and shelter. Call me a commie :shrug:
Yeah, I agree. If you want people to use it, provide it, or provide the means to obtain it. Its not anything that would cost to offer...simply open a connection here or there, and don't add a password. Everything needs a password. Restaurants, hotels, personal homes(of course). If you're not offering money, why help out? I've been on both ends...have shared my signal, and jumped on an open one.
Why does being a commie have to be an insult, anyways? :shrug:
That's a pretty cool concept, DaRC. It would be a great idea to put into place everywhere... our area doesn't have one, but it would be nice. I wonder if its still obtainable...I could afford a one time hardware fee. I just can't do another monthly bill.
We do have free wifi at our libraries, too. I've taken advantage of that in the past, but trying to take a 10 month old to the library to do anything other than entertain the 10 month old is about as hard as trying to thread a needle in the dark on a raft in the Atlantic ocean.
Strapline seems like a good way to do things. Now to figure out ow to do that...
Sometimes I think its nice not having the internet. Forces me to find something to do other than read bothersome articles...

MountainGnome

Postby MountainGnome » 26 Sep 2014, 18:20

To previous generations this question may have been,

Can you imagine life without telephones? (All communication by either by physical visit or written letter, unless you use telegraph!)

Can you imagine life without automobiles? (Honey, have you fed the horses today?)

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Sep 2014, 18:30

My son and I watched Fiddler On The Roof the other day. He was unable to concentrate on much of it because the thought of 'no electricity' was incomprehensible to him... he kept stopping to ask questions and wanting clarifications.
If winters didn't get so damned cold here, I'd say shut that off, too! :D
I don't think life would be bad if none of these things had been invented. Society would have just turned out differently(but its hard to say how).

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 26 Sep 2014, 22:20

Try and get your son to write a story set in the 1970s when there was no internet or mobile phones, or tablets. That should get the steam coming out of his ears, and it will be good lesson for him, and maybe for you too. :old:
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 30 Sep 2014, 15:54

Over the summer, we sent him to stay with Grandma Gemini for a few days. That was more like taking a trip backwards in time, which was why we sent him. He seems to learn best through example/hands on, so we figured we'd let him live it out. He had alot of fun. Probably way more fun than he'd have had hiding in his room with his gadgets.
I believe I've been without internet for about a month now, at least. I thought I would share some of the positives and negatives of this.
Negatives:
I miss church news announcements, or at least I get them too late to be relevant.
No online phonebook/map.
Lost usage of my organizational tools.
People automatically expect you to have access.

Positives:
My stress level/depression has gone done by at least 75%. Probably because I can't check on things I 'liked' to check on, like obsessing over the Ebola virus, or checking my email every 10 minutes to see if anyone wrote me yet.
I am doing things I probably wouldn't do if I could waste time on the computer, such as write a song or draw outside with chalk.
More time to read things of quality.
Relearning ways to do things is fun(such as using pen and paper for agendas, or committing more to memory).

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 04 Feb 2015, 01:36

An update:
The little time I did have to set aside for the internet has become even more sparse. Its very seldom a thought in my mind; I no longer have that urge to get up and search up something on the web. I wait for my newspaper or the evening news if I really care. The newspaper has become a routine, with me anxiously waiting about 11am at the window. I realized IPTV World is really an awesome channel. I got off my butt and made the dress I'd mentally planned for the last year. My husband made a quilt.
We're somewhat of a social oddity. We get excluded from some events. I don't think its that we're not liked, people just become uncomfortable when being asked to communicate in a way they don't prefer, or they just plain out forget. I don't take it to be personal. Its not. Despite how hard bonding with others without the internet seems to have become, we made friends with the neighbor, who doesn't have the internet either. I find it curious that those who do not understand our budget usually assume we're not readily available online due to bad manners or a desire to hide away. It is interesting how etiquette changes over time. I hope one day burping the alphabet is considered acceptable... :wink:
I feel slower, mentally. Not in a stupid sort of way, but I don't have that gogogo urge as strong. I enjoy my time more, and the pull to see what comes next is lessening.
There are some lovely things online. I do miss these boards. I feel a bit divorced from the group without being able to connect with members here. For me, people and interacting with them are part of what makes my experiences real. And its nice to look up almost any song you want and be able to hear it. But I don't think I want the internet back. Its about to the point where I believe we could afford it, but why? I can say I wouldn't lose all the the activities I do now, but I don't believe I would. I think the pull of checking just one more site would get the best of me; the sewing machine would collect dust, my books would remain unsummarized(I like to write brief reports on books when I'm done, to help organize the information), and my recipe books would remain in stacks, unused. I like the peace, the time to meditate. Not formally, but to sit and ponder the cats fighting, or thinking about the patterns of the neighborhood snow removal. It sounds trivial, but I think I've learned more in a few simple observations than I did in thousands of articles online.
Life without the internet has been feeling...real.

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 04 Feb 2015, 09:52

I used to refuse to take a mobile phone on holiday me - I'd leave details of the travel company/trip with my parents and then if there was an actual emergency I'd still know.

The last couple of years I've not been as strict, and I think the divide between "holiday" and "real life" has narrowed, but from the wrong side.

I think I'll experiment with limiting my online time while at home - much like when as a kid I was only allowed 1HR per day of screen time.

Thank you, Aphritha, for sparking this thought train.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 04 Feb 2015, 13:14

But I don't think I want the internet back. Its about to the point where I believe we could afford it, but why?
It is just a communication tool at the end of the day, the only risk is that as more administrative 'stuff' (electricity, government etc...) goes on-line it will be difficult to sort thing.
It sounds trivial, but I think I've learned more in a few simple observations than I did in thousands of articles online.
Experience is often more effective than book learning :) Glad to hear you're enjoying life without t'internet.
Have you subscribed to Touchstone?
http://www.druidry.org/about-us/journals
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 14 Feb 2015, 17:42

But I don't think I want the internet back. Its about to the point where I believe we could afford it, but why?
It is just a communication tool at the end of the day, the only risk is that as more administrative 'stuff' (electricity, government etc...) goes on-line it will be difficult to sort thing.
I figure in the case I REALLY need to use it, I can drag the laptop to my dad's house of the grocery store(there's free wifi and a snack bar). I did need it today....had to buy some buttons for the dress I'm making. The selection at the local stores stink.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/158002781/ ... pe=gallery
It sounds trivial, but I think I've learned more in a few simple observations than I did in thousands of articles online.
Experience is often more effective than book learning :) Glad to hear you're enjoying life without t'internet.
Have you subscribed to Touchstone?
http://www.druidry.org/about-us/journals
No, I haven't, but that's an excellent idea.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 15 Feb 2015, 09:29

Life without the internet has been feeling...real.
Somehow I missed this thread coming up so I PM'd you to see if you where allright. :oops:

This sentence above is truly a powerful one. I'm gonna let it sink in a while... :hug:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 15 Feb 2015, 12:06

I take an Internet break whenever we go on holiday. I leave a message on my phone for clients, turn my phone off, leave my iPad at home and go. Total peace :)

I also try and do this one day a week when I am at home if I can and what I am finding, says she who is on here before settling down with the Sunday papers :roll: is that the more I can do it the less I want to pick up my iPad and go online at other times. If I have missed something so be it, if I have missed what everyone else is doing I really don't care any more.

Whenever I top up my phone I have free mobile Internet which I used to worry about incase it wasn't enough when I'm out. What I now find is that I never turn it on so when I am out I am never online in any way.

I have also noticed how much more time I have for other things for the Internet is really the biggest consumer of time I know.

Here's to an Internet free time as often as I can make it happen.
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Return to “Druid Living”