Being Diplomatic

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Crystal Cat
OBOD Druid

Being Diplomatic

Postby Crystal Cat » 24 Sep 2014, 16:51

Just wondering what other fellow druids do when dealing with difficult members of their grove or seed group. The one I belong to has some very strong characters and as a lover of balance I find it very hard to constantly be overridden by them. I don't want to be rude, just to be validated. How do others deal with this? :shrug:

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Being Diplomatic

Postby DJ Droood » 24 Sep 2014, 20:20

Do a cost/benefit analysis and decide if you would be happier doing awens to the Sun quietly alone in the morning mist or reading the scripts the Arch Druid Pendragons write for you. I suppose you could try expressing your feelings to them, but something tells me nothing will change.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Crystal Cat
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Cat » 25 Sep 2014, 21:04

I think you are right DJ Droood and thank you for the advice. Very much appreciated. :)

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 26 Sep 2014, 15:58

I'm a balance lover who also gets overridden alot.
Sometimes with us peaceful folks, we're so concentrated on trying to keep the peace, we don't properly speak up for ourselves. People aren't even aware we're upset with things because we haven't given any indication...
Might be worth it to take a deep breath and voice your concerns if you haven't done so. Easier said than done sometimes, I know...

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 28 Sep 2014, 04:38

Just wondering what other fellow druids do when dealing with difficult members of their grove or seed group. The one I belong to has some very strong characters and as a lover of balance I find it very hard to constantly be overridden by them. I don't want to be rude, just to be validated. How do others deal with this? :shrug:

I'm done with most groups.

Along the way I've learnt I am an Ambivert and don't really dig the group setting.

It's hard for an Ambivert because we struggle with not being Extroverted enough. We think there is something wrong with us.

But now I try actively to embrace my introverted side (The one society says is bad).

The only groups I'll be in, in future, are the ones I will lead,and I will be very selective about who the group members are.

Sorry, but life is too short!

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 29 Sep 2014, 02:20

I find the script itself is like a paper wall between myself and losing myself in a ritual...I think I would prefer to just close my eyes and listen to a group ritual being performed, than furiously scan the pages looking for my bit and hoping not to screw up and then reading my lines....I know some people dig that, but for me, it is a bit too much like amateur theatre first read through....I'm not sure what the alternative in group ritual would be....memorizing parts would probably be just as stilted....improvisation, maybe, or one performer who is good at it doing the whole thing, maybe?
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Postby scopulus » 29 Sep 2014, 17:21

I am in the same sort of situation rightnow....
At one point we had someone bring her daughter along and middle in the ceremony that daughter claimed to be possessed by the devil , and faked an epilectic attack.
No need to say we were all startled....
Then the people from OBOD decided to make the group OBOD only and we tried to make it work like that.
After three more rituals the Ego's came up. "I am the druidic grade I must be the druid". Or "I don't like this idea, so I quit the group" towards " We heard you tell a lie about us, so we banned you from our friendlist and no longer attend the groups" ...
I am the only one left rightnow, but I refuse to lay down the group and give it up.
There are three more people who attend the rituals now and we may actually build up something far better with this and let go all of the ego's/strong characters.

But we see where this will go ;)

At one point they claimed to have only 2 persons do the rituals. But the beauty of the OBOD ceremonies is to let everyone partake. So fine, but the pages were too much struggle. Ok, I understand, so I suggested we started to learn the rituals by heart and by doing so it might lead to put more energy in it. We all agreed for one ceremonie... then it got wrong again.

Groups are hard in my opinion.. :(
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

Return to “Druid Living”