Philosophy behind a plan

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Chenzen
OBOD Bard

Philosophy behind a plan

Postby Chenzen » 15 Oct 2014, 06:12

I recently had a coworker claim she was "walking out on her shift", i wasnt too surprised by this threat of action by her; the work was getting to be too much for her. However i was very surprised by the fact that ACTUALLY meant to do it by all accounts she was a moral person who believed in quitting things in the most professional manner. Now my brain really began to turn.... Would this person sacrifice their own morals just to make a point? Morals in my eyes have always linked to philosophy because without an understanding to philosophy our morals would be in limbo. Now im hesitant to believe this coworker will actually walk out on us, she is a moral person whose personal philosophy dictates she doesnt do that no matter how rough the work is, for doing that one action could in turn upset the very nature of your moral code ergo upsetting your personal philosophy when dealing with all forms of life. Should anyone ever abandon their beliefs? Morals? TO each his own is what some would say, i think differently however if each one of us simply threw away decades of teaching we would in a very sorry state for morals guide us on a path in life, whether it be bad or good. Good morals shows courage and mindful behavior when dealing with situations (many of you will disagree, good :) ). Bad morals allow us strength and complete lack of others beliefs (again disagree i like talking). The philosophy behind her plan is flawed for i believe she wont allow her morals to be sacrificed for she has good character and cannot see the plan to fruition, so her time is therefore wasted on conniving a plan that will fail.

Mountain Lily
OBOD Bard

Re: Philosophy behind a plan

Postby Mountain Lily » 15 Oct 2014, 07:08

I think this may have been posted in the wrong forum?
SB2014
The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched. --Thoreau

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Postby xidia » 15 Oct 2014, 08:44

I can think of scenarios where the "greater good" as I see it would cause me to do something apparently against my morals by those with a partial view of my life.

Let's say I have an absolute belief that one should never harm animals, and I discovered that my boss's boss going to dog fights in their spare time, and my performance at work affected their monthly bonus (which they spent betting on the dogs). I may decide (in addition to or instead of any legal action if it is in fact illegal) that I could not in good conscience continue to work a) for that person and b) in a way that supported their spending on it. Walking out, which breaching my perceived responsibility to my team mates, would be the lesser of two evils.

This is a hypothetical example.

Mountain Lily
OBOD Bard

Postby Mountain Lily » 15 Oct 2014, 09:17

Yes! There are plenty of situations where having good morals would be demonstrated by quitting a job.

Being employed is a two-way street. One isn't morally obligated to continue at a job, no matter what, until released by the employer. That would be slavery. We're in a bad place, economically, but not that bad. :anx: She might be taking the high road by telling everyone she's about to leave, rather than just not showing up one day, and thus she's giving everybody the chance to be prepared.

There must be more to this story. :shrug:

I still think it should be moved to a different topic.
SB2014
The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched. --Thoreau

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 17 Oct 2014, 12:38

Taking a step back it sounds like this person (for whatever reasons) is incredibly stressed. :x
This means that it's less of a plan and more a reaction.
Under extreme stress I don't think many of us act rationally.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 17 Oct 2014, 15:31

I think I agree with this. Normally calm and reasonable people can make rash decisions under a burst of extreme emotion.

WildOak

Postby WildOak » 10 Nov 2014, 20:58

I think I agree with this. Normally calm and reasonable people can make rash decisions under a burst of extreme emotion.
I agree.

But also, what makes you think that walking out would be going against her morals? I don't see any evidence to back that up. I wonder if we might be conflating "socially acceptable" with "moral"?

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 10 Nov 2014, 23:57

Yes! There are plenty of situations where having good morals would be demonstrated by quitting a job.

Being employed is a two-way street. One isn't morally obligated to continue at a job, no matter what, until released by the employer. That would be slavery. We're in a bad place, economically, but not that bad. :anx: She might be taking the high road by telling everyone she's about to leave, rather than just not showing up one day, and thus she's giving everybody the chance to be prepared.

Indeed..many immoral, unethical employers out there with no regard for their workers. She could be standing up for her beliefs and dignity.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Return to “Druid Living”