Druidry in your house (how does it show)

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
SilaquiNL

Druidry in your house (how does it show)

Postby SilaquiNL » 03 Feb 2015, 10:17

I am curious.
How does druidry show in your household?
I have started a seasons table for instance.
Since we have just moved and I am still new to druidry I am looking for inpiration.
Although I am sure it will come, throughout my journey through druidry.
Last edited by SilaquiNL on 03 Feb 2015, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

Fairy's Treasure. Fantasy miniatures and jewelery.
https://www.etsy.com/nl/shop/FairysTrea ... _shop_menu

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Drudry in your house (how does it show)

Postby DaRC » 03 Feb 2015, 12:33

For me I think it would be subtle signs, :boar: I'm not particularly overt about these things and SHE :D (aka my wife) is an atheist and does the house design although there could be hints of Druidry.
Our food is local and seasonal (which is quite the fashion amongst foodies too at the moment so not overly Druidic).

However, the garden design is my area. The front garden design has a diamond square (white roses) inside a lawn circle. In the back garden this year I should sort out my fire and water areas and introduce an air element into the garden. There might be a few green men's :kernos: faces poking out of the foliage.
Of course there is a high number of herbs and a small functional vegetable patch in a naturalistic (some might say unkempt and messy) :wink: garden.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Drudry in your house (how does it show)

Postby ShadowCat » 03 Feb 2015, 17:40

The first place where it shows is in my bookcases (yes, plural): I'm an omnivore for knowledge and read anything from high fantasy to scientific things. If it has letters on it, I read it. (I was one of those kids reading the labels of the hagelslag every morning :D ). I have four bookcases in the living room, two upstairs and still piles of books everywhere else. And that is with a strict rule of letting go of books that don't resonate with me anymore.

If you look closer, you will find more than a few books on various pagan themes, rituals, oracles, as well as selfsufficiency, canning, homesteading. Also, there are other bits and bobs that might give you a clue, like stones, natural things like pinecones when the season is appropriate. Our garden is a permaculture work in progress (aka a runaway mess in the eyes of most), we have chickens for eggs, eat organic and local. O, and in the basement there is a little setup for making homebrewed mead :D

There are also a few swords around, one actually on display in my office together with my staf, an ancient shield I inherited from my grandma and one of my drums. Clients never are bothered by this my little altar on a filing cabinet really. Since I spent most of my waking hours in my office on weekdays, that's where druidry is too.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

IsabelC
OBOD Ovate
Location: Northern California, WAY above the Bay Area in in the Great Sacramento Valley

Re: Druidry in your house (how does it show)

Postby IsabelC » 16 May 2015, 20:04

I could pretty much copy and paste ShadowCat's post, LOL. We have about as many bookcases. :o
I guess it depends on what Druidry "means" to different people-I am only now realizing that there are a lot of different ideas about what Druidry is and is not, so it may show differently in people's homes, but...

And here I'm extending "home" to mean my outside space too...
We have food and herbs growing and permaculture happening everywhere, we harvest acorns from the tons of oaks around us. Since we live in a pretty dry landscape (northern CA) where it's quite frequently hot or windy, I like to have water around-to balance out the earthy scenery, heat and wind, so I have a pond or small fountain on 3 sides of the house.
The pond is my favorite. I it's only about 3' in diameter, and have three goldfish (that I like to think of as small salmon) and we planted a "clootie tree" (A Hawthorn) right near the pond, so we can tie clooties to it when it gets bigger-sometimes we do ritual or offerings at the pond. The "well"/salmon/hawthorn spot is probably my favorite.

Inside, yes besides the several shelves (and growing) of Druid, plant medicine and permaculture books, we have our alter by the window, and I have several photos of my ancestors in a corner of the living room. I think some of my family find it creepy, but they are my inspiration!
We have lots of herbs hanging in the kitchen and there are always tinctures, projects and food experiments happening. And we also have a "nature table" (1/3 of the buffet in the dining room) that has an array of feathers, wood, stones, and odd bits too.

Recently we got an art print from Jen Delyth http://celticartstudio.com called the Awen-I about sqweeed when I saw it!

I guess that's about it...

Peace,
Isabel

PS DaRC I really want to know where you get those little pagan-y boar etc. pictures... :)
And this our life, exempt from public haunt, 
finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything. I would not change it. -Shakespeare
ImageImage

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 30 Jun 2015, 14:40

I recently purchased my victorian (1887) cottage last year and am still in the process of renovating it. I am just about finished with my dressing room which doubles as my sacred space. I keep bonsai of oak trees and maples and elms. I have a few bookcases with books on the occult and psychology. I eschew most modern technology (the only modern tech I have is a cellphone, my computer and a microwave oven) and have the place furnished with mostly antiques, including a complete depression era kitchen (complete with 1929 stove and 1938 fridge) with a ceiling mounted clothes/herb drying rack in the southwest corner. I have a few equal armed celtic crosses around. My home is decorated in all earth tones except for my sitting room which is white.

Next year I will do my garden in the front and back. I know I will have the green man in my front garden but the spirit hasn't communicated to me what design I should go with as yet. I will have medicinal flowers and herbs throughout and a vegetable garden in the back in 3 raised beds. I am already growing tomatoes on my upper deck which is the only part of my back yard which is in full sun.

Once finished I will cap it all off with an Awen flag flying from my front porch.

/|\ Wesley
Yours in the Peace of the Grove,
/|\ Colley y Bara

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 01 Jul 2015, 08:02

I recently purchased my victorian (1887) cottage last year and am still in the process of renovating it. I am just about finished with my dressing room which doubles as my sacred space. I keep bonsai of oak trees and maples and elms. I have a few bookcases with books on the occult and psychology. I eschew most modern technology (the only modern tech I have is a cellphone, my computer and a microwave oven) and have the place furnished with mostly antiques, including a complete depression era kitchen (complete with 1929 stove and 1938 fridge) with a ceiling mounted clothes/herb drying rack in the southwest corner. I have a few equal armed celtic crosses around. My home is decorated in all earth tones except for my sitting room which is white.

Next year I will do my garden in the front and back. I know I will have the green man in my front garden but the spirit hasn't communicated to me what design I should go with as yet. I will have medicinal flowers and herbs throughout and a vegetable garden in the back in 3 raised beds. I am already growing tomatoes on my upper deck which is the only part of my back yard which is in full sun.

Once finished I will cap it all off with an Awen flag flying from my front porch.

/|\ Wesley
Well, I'm looking really forward to the photospread in next "Druid Living", because this sounds truly magical and wonderful!
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Vera Lucia

Postby Vera Lucia » 19 Aug 2015, 20:25

Well, I'm looking really looking forward to the photospread in next "Druid Living", because this sounds truly magical and wonderful!
I would love a post like that... to see a druid or spiritual touch to homes or sacred spaces of members. :yay: Do we have one ? I find as i get older there are subtle touches here and there though they are rarely intentional. Barn wood, books, antlers, plants galore. Most important is that it feels like a happy home.

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 25 Aug 2015, 10:34

I have one bookcase, of which one shelf is dedicated to pagan books. I live in a very small flat so there is no room for any altar/display or anything like that. However, inside as you come into the flat, I have a corner stand with three black glass shelves. On the top shelf I always have a large vase of fresh flowers. On the second and third shelves I have a clear glass vase on each, one containing dried pine cones, acorns and the like, and the third vase contains a huge assortment of crystals.
ALL THAT WE ARE IS THE RESULT OF WHAT WE HAVE THOUGHT

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 25 Aug 2015, 12:51

Like many of us the area where it shows in the house is the bookcase. I have my OBOD boxes alongside books on trees and plants. There are other small signs around like the natural Quartz crystal and statue of Mother Earth (Pachamama) plus the odd pendulum or two, but mostly here the signs are outside.

In the garden wildlife flourishes, butterflies and bees are nurtured and planting is ongoing to encourage them. More and more the garden is being turned back into a natural state, wild grass areas, wild flower planting, apples, plum, pine, ash, hawthorn, willow and soon to be planted oak, plus of course the healthy heart garden. I used to have a labyrinth but five years after they agreed for it to be there, the spirits of the land asked that the land be returned to its natural state so it has been. I believe there was a stone circle there originally and have vague ideas of recreating it at some point if I can work out how to do so without damaging our backs lifting stones and with minimal maintenence later.

I also work as a therapist and have a log cabin in the garden as my work space and which also is my sacred and protected space. This is full of signs, an obsidian mirror, crystal ball, crystals and stones, rattles, drums, singing bowls, cards, books, a healing blanket, feathers, tea lights (wood so I don't risk candles), a burning bowl and of course loads of things I have overlooked :)
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Return to “Druid Living”