If Facebook has killed Internet Forums

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
LoonyLuna
OBOD Ovate

Re: If Facebook has killed Internet Forums

Postby LoonyLuna » 19 Sep 2015, 19:36

What I like about this forum, is that there is a goldmine of discussions that you could spend weeks reading.

FB and other social media happens at such a fast pace that it would be impossible to go back much beyond 24 hours never mind a week or months. Thus it doesn't allow deeper conversations to happen. I'm a member of several pagan FB groups which have sadly been swamped by those irritating memes (the all sparkly, skinny witch with a heaving bosom that has an often superficial saying written over the top type images). That is the only thing some people ever seem to post, and any decent discussion, if it ever does take place, very quickly gets buried, never to see the light of day again :(

Years ago when I first went in search of fellow pagans for conversation and possible moots, I was met with a rude unfriendly response. That put me off immediately and I then retreated from online groups for several years.

I found another online forum which was welcoming when I retried some years later. At first the discussions were lively and varied, but after a time it seemed that most of discussions centered on only a few individuals who seemed to be sharing in-jokes and meanings, which made it very uncomfortable to try and join in, even if you could even work out what was being said. :( I do pop in on that forum every so often, though it is pretty much dead apart from the same few individuals, so I don't bother posting at all on there any more.

Since I got back into my bardic studies last year (and having now very recently begun ovate :yay: ) I have been reading through the threads on here and have actually been posting rather than lurking :) And I'm loving the topics I'm finding, even if they are years old :)

I think FB (and other social media) has had an impact on forum use, as it has led to the expectation of the fast immediate response. I do think it has also spilt over on to "real" life too, in that the online superficiality is becoming the norm for real-life everyday interaction. As Aphritha has found, in depth "real" life conversation seems to be disappearing too :(

Forums such as this has been a lifeline for me as I haven't found many groups local to me and the few that I had found were either not very welcoming in initial contact (so I didn't go along) or were so consumed with infighting and bullying it was just horrible. (One group I found I got along with great at first; until a friend of mine was bullied by some other prominent members. I stood up for her and refused to join in their belittling of her, which resulted in them turning on me as well, and the person in charge revealing their true colours as a most unpleasant controlling person who was happy to watch others dish out some pretty unkind (non-physical) bullying. That person is a member of OBOD and because I did not wish further dealings with said person, I had avoided all OBOD events altogether until recently when I decided that I shouldn't be the one "hiding").

Anyways maybe the tide will turn, as it is want to do, when people tire of the tedium that is social media. Well we can live in hope :)
ImageImage

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 22 Sep 2015, 00:18

I joined Facebook about a year ago, and it is entertaining, but definitely has shortcomings as a discussion forum. Frankly, it can be quite amorphous. So stick with the DHP, get some discussions going.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 22 Sep 2015, 06:50

Hey Loonyluna,
Thank you for your post. it feels like it was me posting. I connected with everything.
Yes, as Whitemane says we should stick with this forum.

This forum has mature people here.

arddyn

Postby arddyn » 19 Oct 2015, 07:44

I think another downside to Facebook comes if you are not "out" as a druid or pagan. Some have to hide their spirituality from family and this is more difficult on FB. They may not want to post on a druid or pagan group if there was a chance it could be seen by an unsympathetic contact.

The lack of anonymity on FB is designed to make people more responsible for their actions (given how some people behave I'm not sure it works) but can have a downside where anonymity is necessary to express your spirituality.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 19 Oct 2015, 12:19

The lack of anonymity on FB is designed to make people more responsible for their actions (given how some people behave I'm not sure it works)
I think the rules against anonymity are probably designed to more accurately target market and data-mine us, but I get your behavioural point as well.

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 19 Oct 2015, 17:12

The lack of anonymity on FB is designed to make people more responsible for their actions (given how some people behave I'm not sure it works)
I think the rules against anonymity are probably designed to more accurately target market and data-mine us, but I get your behavioural point as well.
If they're trying to datamine me, they must still be working on the overburden. Some of them are so far off-beam that tech support are tired of replacing my keyboards. I keep on thinking that I should respond to them at random and see what happens. I still don't understand why Amazon recommended a book on mediaeval corset making to me...
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 19 Oct 2015, 17:28

If they're trying to datamine me, they must still be working on the overburden. Some of them are so far off-beam that tech support are tired of replacing my keyboards. I keep on thinking that I should respond to them at random and see what happens. I still don't understand why Amazon recommended a book on mediaeval corset making to me...

They must have me bugged pretty good....if I do a search for, say, water-proof cameras, I get lots of water-proof camera ads in my feed...which I don't mind, actually...

Helen O'Cobhthaigh
OBOD Ovate

Postby Helen O'Cobhthaigh » 27 Oct 2015, 06:45

That's it my Facebook account is being wound down. All OBODies who would like to chat to me need to use the forum.

Helen
Helen O'Cobhthaigh

Gun toiseach, gun crioch

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 27 Oct 2015, 09:44

Heh! You can try to shut down your Facebook account but don't hold your breath. I have been trying for over four years to get mine deleted and they say that someone keeps reactivating it but they won't tell me who or stop them from doing it. I suspect it is Facebook doing the reactivation as a friend of mine is having similar trouble. Its getting to the point where I'm going to have to start posting naked pictures of myself just to get kicked out... :fear:

Porpoise

Postby Porpoise » 15 Nov 2015, 21:36

I have been trying for over four years to get mine deleted and they say that someone keeps reactivating it but they won't tell me who or stop them from doing it. I suspect it is Facebook doing the reactivation as a friend of mine is having similar trouble.
It might not be this, but if you're logging on to check if the account has been deactivated that will reactive the account.

Mistanlyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Mistanlyn » 02 Dec 2015, 15:44

I have been trying for over four years to get mine deleted and they say that someone keeps reactivating it but they won't tell me who or stop them from doing it. I suspect it is Facebook doing the reactivation as a friend of mine is having similar trouble.
It might not be this, but if you're logging on to check if the account has been deactivated that will reactive the account.
It's possibly this. I know if you delete your account (https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account) I think they take 2 weeks (14 days) for it to deactivate before it entirely deletes. So within that time period, logging in from any device will re-activate it and cancel the deletion. I've had multiple accounts over the years and have successfully deleted each one using this method. :D Hopefully that works for you!
https://earthlyandethereal.wordpress.com/
"We often forget that we are nature.
Nature is not something separate from us.
So when we say that we have lost our connection to nature,
we’ve lost our connection to ourselves."

- Andy Goldsworthy

"o hear the voice of the bard
who present, past and future sees
whose ears have heard the holy word
that walked among the ancient trees…"

- William Blake, First Song of Experience

Return to “Druid Living”