If Facebook has killed Internet Forums

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

If Facebook has killed Internet Forums

Postby Davin Raincloud » 08 May 2015, 02:16

If Facebook has killed Internet Forums, then where are the worthwhile discussions taking place, because they sure aren't being done on Facebook?

Facebook is the land ruled by the ignorant and loud, and discussions in groups get buried and lost in time.

(Please note, I'm not asking specifically about Druidry or OBOD, but rather in general for all things).

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: If Facebook has killed Internet Forums

Postby Aphritha » 08 May 2015, 02:53

If you find them, let me know.:D

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 08 May 2015, 09:16

Agreed - from what I've seen of FB and Google+ they are very shallow visual image based communication tools.
Twitter is more verbal but the character limit reduces discussion to one-liners, usually for comic or impact effect.

Which is why I find that forums can provide greater depth of discussion and a proper exchange of knowledge, or 'use of the hive mind' as another forum I use puts it.

So I think the OBOD forums have the structure and can provide the place - it's just that we currently have too few active voices. From what I've observed of other popular forums is that you need at least 10 fairly active voices to keep things lively. This then encourages other listeners and occasional voices to return regularly.
So for parents there's Mumsnet, Mountainbikers have Singletrackworld (I think it's still top) and car drivers have PistonHeads, for example.

I am wondering whether, as a forum, we need to be able to interact and integrate more with other types of social media, particularly FB and Twitter to engage with other Druids more.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 08 May 2015, 11:41

I am finding great frustration will all forms on online community. On forums your posts seem to remain and can be searched by anyone on the web. On facebook which I no longer have an account for, people tend to be emboldened to be complete jerks. This is not always the case, but on a whole facebook is a horrid idea. People posts their every move, pictures, locations, contact info. They are creating a data base of who and what they are and jobs are using it to pre-screen candidates. I did not know there was a google+ obod group or do you mean in general?

Google+ seems to be ok, but clunky and hard to use, forums offer so much anonymity that it makes for easy ways to troll, facebook does the opposite that seems to be a remedy for real life harassment
May the peace of the season find you,
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

Fiach MacMara
OBOD Bard

Postby Fiach MacMara » 08 May 2015, 17:15

I first joined the OBOD forums back in the mid 2000's. At that time these pages were alive with discussions. Each day had hundreds of posts and it was fascinating to see the community communicating online. Now there are perhaps 5-10 posts each day.

I don't maintain a Facebook account. My wife spends enough time on it for both of us! I still write letters to friends and meet up with people who are local to have conversations but most "social" websites such as Facebook don't really offer a platform for genuine conversation.
By wind and willow,

Fiach

https://americandruid.wordpress.com/

SeekerOfTruth3

Postby SeekerOfTruth3 » 08 May 2015, 22:08

The Druidism sub on reddit sometimes has more meaningful conversation about Druidry, at least in my opinion. It seems better than Facebook at least. I've noticed that not a whole lot of good conversation about Druidry happens on this forum, but I always figured the members only forums would be better when I get to that point. Other than reddit and possibly the members only forums on here, I have no other ideas as to where to find good conversation on the topic.
Peace,

SeekerOfTruth3

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 08 May 2015, 22:18

The Druidism sub on reddit sometimes has more meaningful conversation about Druidry, at least in my opinion. It seems better than Facebook at least. I've noticed that not a whole lot of good conversation about Druidry happens on this forum, but I always figured the members only forums would be better when I get to that point. Other than reddit and possibly the members only forums on here, I have no other ideas as to where to find good conversation on the topic.

The member only forums are pretty good, but the same happens there are not many posts. Activity is not that high. I think it's a combination of lack of interaction on a forum and not being sure what to say. after a while all topics are touched. The people on the forum and the nature of the topic I believe is what keeps people coming back. I know I tend to avoid posts that have 10-15 replies, cause I'm not sure what is going on :) I tried to stick with fresher posts. I"m sure I'm not the only one who does this.
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 09 May 2015, 00:27

I remember the good old days when there was just some sort of yahoo group email list, then the stupid "discussion forum" came along and ruined everything. People used to have really good discussions on the email list, but just seemed to argue on the forum.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 09 May 2015, 04:59

I find reddit a little too male/literal/fundamentalist and early 20s for me.

A lot of angry dudes on there, whose spirituality consists of Richard Dawkins Books, and yes I'm talking about the Druids on there. :blink:

I've tried with reddit, but it's going downhill fast.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 11 May 2015, 01:10

In sudden reflection, I've found it alot harder to find decent, engaging conversations offline as well...(have you seen the latest on youtube? What color is the dress? What celebrity is doing what/who? Drama, complaints of others). I'm going to remain hopeful and believe its my age group, locale, or some secret pooey vibe I'm putting off without being aware. There's good conversation out there somewhere!

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 11 May 2015, 03:00

In sudden reflection, I've found it alot harder to find decent, engaging conversations offline as well...(have you seen the latest on youtube? What color is the dress? What celebrity is doing what/who? Drama, complaints of others). I'm going to remain hopeful and believe its my age group, locale, or some secret pooey vibe I'm putting off without being aware. There's good conversation out there somewhere!
With Youtube, I came to the conclusion a while ago after bad experiences with a Pagan Youtube celeb on Facebook, that Youtube is a great Vanity Project vehicle for the ego. An immature young person can make themselves look like a soulful spiritually evolved guru by the art of movie making on Youtube.

Youtube is there if you want to be a celebrity. This doesn't make for good spiritual discussion. imho

Some published pagan authors are a bit like that too.

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 11 May 2015, 03:58

With Youtube, I came to the conclusion a while ago after bad experiences with a Pagan Youtube celeb on Facebook, that Youtube is a great Vanity Project vehicle for the ego. An immature young person can make themselves look like a soulful spiritually evolved guru by the art of movie making on Youtube.

Youtube is there if you want to be a celebrity. This doesn't make for good spiritual discussion. imho

The reverse can just as easily happen, a soulful person can look like an idiot. Youtube is more about giving information, sharing ideas and entertaining then it is about conversation. I've always been rather fond of my channel personally. though posting myself out there in videos has lead to negative feedback, trolling and un-needed drama
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 11 May 2015, 07:18

The reverse can just as easily happen, a soulful person can look like an idiot. Youtube is more about giving information, sharing ideas and entertaining then it is about conversation. I've always been rather fond of my channel personally. though posting myself out there in videos has lead to negative feedback, trolling and un-needed drama
Ahh Dude, sorry. I know you have a channel and I follow it. I didn't mean to tar everyone with a sweeping brush, and I did.

I liked the Youtube community back when it was less known, more nerdy.

I actually met my Witchcraft teacher, who has initiated me know through his channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTiplQ ... af0dQ6WyIg

So yes, of course it can have value!

However it can be a tool for seduction and deceit as well.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 11 May 2015, 11:43

So now we are forming a hive mind :grin:
I think you can say this of the whole internet
I liked the ... community back when it was less known, more nerdy.
Agreed - similarly my early days on the alt.religion.druid Usenet forum was fascinating with Searles, Erynn and John Michael Greer having some really good discussions and posting some excellent essays.
I did not know there was a google+ obod group or do you mean in general?
There's no OBOD group on Google+ - the idea that Google+ has circles I think is a good one but whether it has a long term future, against GB, is not so sure.

It seems that there are interesting YouTube channels, I think there are some interesting Twitter feeds too. I'm just wondering how to generate interesting conversations/threads from them that will engage the people on this forum.
I've found it a lot harder to find decent, engaging conversations
Which is what I was wondering about with this forum as a whole.
Although the current discussion around 'Hesus: Jesus of the pre-Roman Celts' is fascinating.

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 13 May 2015, 03:07

Ahh Dude, sorry. I know you have a channel and I follow it. I didn't mean to tar everyone with a sweeping brush, and I did.

I liked the Youtube community back when it was less known, more nerdy.

I actually met my Witchcraft teacher, who has initiated me know through his channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTiplQ ... af0dQ6WyIg

So yes, of course it can have value!

Firstly thank you for following my channel :) second your perfectly fine :) I didn't think you where sweeping a tar brush over everyone and took no offense at all to your comments. Just countering with my opinion ;) and attempting to add to the conversation :D
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 13 May 2015, 03:14

Which is what I was wondering about with this forum as a whole.
I get it :) I think many of us crave community. I find that when I try and talk with others or try to restart the spiritual group I use to run no one wants to pay for anything. The issues I had with the groups I use to run is no one wanted to be out in nature they wanted to be in someone's home. The group fell apart after I had some issues in my home and moved it to the park. Then when I tried to start a new group in my area focused on Druidry I had a few people reach out and contact me eager to learn and get into druidry, I of course directed them to OBOD with the idea of forming a seed study group. This instantly turned everyone off since you have to pay for the lessons.

I find it interesting that people are willing to pay for college but not spiritual lessons. *shrugs* still it's good forums like this exists so we can come together, converse, inspire each other etc. I think it's good things will spin off into different groups. I did find one Google+ OBOD group and was debating making a USA version of it. However I'd rather talk to the main office and run this idea by them first, I feel like it would be different if I had a local seed group google+ page, but think it would be neat to have a universal OBOD one. The issue would be people to maintain and monitor it and it's just more work for someone, that and how much use will it get? and will google+ and circles go or stay?

I always thought it would be cool to get a skype group going sometime, and have people get on and speak as a group. the problem being too many people on and to much talking.
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 13 May 2015, 11:56

I find it interesting that people are willing to pay for college but not spiritual lessons.
Agreed - the course is not expensive and I think that the willingness to pay is the first step on the path... a sacrifice to learning.
I did find one Google+ OBOD group and was debating making a USA version of it. However I'd rather talk to the main office and run this idea by them first,
Not a bad idea - I would be keen on adding it into the Circles. I think there's space for a more generic Druidry presence that brings AODA, ADF and BDO (as well as other Orders) together.
Whether OBOD can maintain the energy for a Google+, FB and Twitter presence I guess depends upon the people.

I think the advantage of a forum is that people can respond in their own time, which gives it an advantage over Skype etc....

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 13 May 2015, 19:30

I find it interesting that people are willing to pay for college but not spiritual lessons.
I took the opposite approach. I paid for my spiritual course without any difficulty(well, unless you count the month I had to clean my car for change to make my monthly payment :grin: ), but thought it would have been silly to pay for college. I felt there was nothing there I wouldn't be able to learn on my own if I really wanted, though I would gladly pay if I felt there was.
I guess it all boils down to what society places value on. Spiritual growth doesn't usually get the public's approval the way a degree does. We(human beings) tend to be motivated by other's approval...

feranaja
OBOD Bard

Postby feranaja » 13 May 2015, 23:46

We've been talking about this on my own forum, where activity has dropped off considerably of late, in every section and not *just* Druidry. I know the trend right now is away from thoughtful discussion and strong community building - but that's one trend I intend to buck. More depth, slowness, focus, contemplation is exactly what we humans need, in a world of twitter and Facebook and instant expert-ism. My forum has dropped from very lively discussion to much less, and far fewer members signing in; that's ok. Quality over quantity! The Druid Grove is the only other forum I visit anymore and I believe it has much to offer as do forums in general. Facebook is fun, I've connected with many old friends - but, it's no replacement for deeper community and discussion.

BlazeLeeDragon
OBOD Bard

Postby BlazeLeeDragon » 14 May 2015, 03:05

Agreed - the course is not expensive and I think that the willingness to pay is the first step on the path... a sacrifice to learning.

Not a bad idea - I would be keen on adding it into the Circles. I think there's space for a more generic Druidry presence that brings AODA, ADF and BDO (as well as other Orders) together.
Whether OBOD can maintain the energy for a Google+, FB and Twitter presence I guess depends upon the people.

I think the advantage of a forum is that people can respond in their own time, which gives it an advantage over Skype etc....
I can sympathize though, It was hard to come up with the payment each month. However this is something I wanted to be a part of. I started researching paths on my own since 1995, and I've found alot of good stuff. However to have a full week by week lesson plan...it's awesome and four years later I'm still working with the bardic grade. Eventually I'd like to do the other grades as well. To me it's no different then paying for martial arts lessons every month for example. I just think there is so many little spurts of knowledge out there people are reluctant to sign up and have to pay until it's done. I think too it can be overwhelming for some and they might be sacred they decide it's not for them but are still stuck paying for it.

Yes skype was just an idea :) I contacted the main OBOD email and mentioned google+ they are gonna get back to me. If nothing else I might start a generic group like you mentioned, if there is not already one there. Or if you start one first let me know and I'll join that :)
Blaze Dragon

Image Image

Return to “Druid Living”