Limited Space for Ritual

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
babblebeth
OBOD Bard

Limited Space for Ritual

Postby babblebeth » 02 Jun 2015, 16:31

I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I have a little altar and a little space in front of it in my bedroom but I live in a very tiny house with a very tiny (and very public) garden. I don't have enough space to make a "circle" except in my mind and it makes it a little cramped to do some things.

How you do manage ritual of any kind if you have limited space? (I also have limited mobility so I can't just go out into the wild to do ritual. I'm pretty much stuck doing it indoors 90% of the time)
older and wiser

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Re: Limited Space for Ritual

Postby Whitemane » 02 Jun 2015, 22:24

Do it in your head. That's where all the important things happen.

You have an altar, try to imagine the circle you need, and your movement in the ritual.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 04 Jun 2015, 04:06

I've been in that position more then a few times (no space indoors, apartment with no garden, -35 C outdoors). As Whitemane said, much can be done in your head. If you can go out a bit, and find a bit more private space in the outdoors away from home to do the larger seasonal rituls that is another good option.
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

babblebeth
OBOD Bard

Postby babblebeth » 04 Jun 2015, 11:08

I suppose I didn't automatically go for "do it in your head" because I'm not very confident in my ability to do so yet. 7 years is a long time between rituals. Yes I was very actively pagan from the ages of 17-24 and I grew up in a very witchy tradition with my mom and grandma (though under the strict understanding we weren't supposed to acknowledge it) but as I said for the last 7ish years...since I fell pregnant with my son and had him I've been doing nothing. Not even tarot readings.

Getting back into it has been easier than I expected.

Also I may have had a message telling me that certain spirits were getting irritated with my insecurity and to just "get on with it" :whistle:

So I have now....
older and wiser

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 04 Jun 2015, 11:48

Congratulations! :yay:

Enjoy your path anew, and stop every now and again to marvel and wonder.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Fil.F.

Postby Fil.F. » 04 Jul 2015, 03:26

I think on this question recently too. My bedroom is a trashed room, and a few space rest me to walking. When I think
on build a circle is a torture path. And I remenber when I start to study and execute rituals: in a little space between two beds.
Today is pratically impossible, I can't understand why. So I had adopted the simpatic magic systems for solve some intentions.

Today if other person knows what you are doing your work fail. There is an alert in a grimoire that says about the presence of
other person on a ray of 10 meters. And today this became really true. 8-)

And I complete the words of this grimoire making an alert about the sacre images of other religions ownered by the person on the
local área.

My unic choice, and I think on this last week, is rent a house with a garden for just one day when I need. And keep the instruments
closed by key on a wood box.

Perhaps, this situatios ocurrs beacause:

Your magic instruments was not complete.
Or perhaps because the salt, that was modified by the industry.
Or other persons enter on your room without permission.

Good luck !!!

mandybard
OBOD Ovate

Postby mandybard » 06 Jul 2015, 00:55

It's possible to draw a circle around yourself if you have just enough space to stand in front of your altar. There may be some things you won't be able to lay out exactly as they are written in ritual but improvise by using your altar as a "centre'. You won't be able to walk in a circle but you can turn on the spot to face the four directions and simply draw the circle by holding up your hand and again turning on the spot. A very tiny circle yes, but a circle nonetheless, and quite cosy too! :)
ImageImage :butterflies:

Love took up the glass of Time, and turn'd it in his glowing hands;
Every moment, lightly shaken, ran itself in golden sands.
Love took up the harp of Life, and smote on all the chords with might;
Smote the chord of Self, that, trembling, pass'd in music out of sight.
(from Locksley Hall by Alfred Lord Tennyson)

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 06 Jul 2015, 03:18

I've totally had to do the 'stand and turn' method. Still do, sometimes.
When laying a circle in my head, I found it more helpful to envision a cone of energy enveloping me rather than picturing myself actually laying it out in my head. Rather than envisioning being elsewhere with no limitations, it worked better to embrace what I had in front of me. Spirit of place, I guess.
Nothing wrong with being cozy! :)

Return to “Druid Living”