The Mystical Garment

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

The Mystical Garment

Postby Aphritha » 06 Jul 2015, 03:43

In my corner of the world lately, we've had a new refugee group(the Burmese) appear in the area, deciding to make humble Iowa their home. I tend to be the nosy sort. I like to worry about what other people are doing, eating, and wearing. My city has always been quite diverse, and when a new group of people showed up, I of course had to go nosing through their shops as soon as I could find one. Good stuff to eat, good stuff to drink(aloe vera drinks all around!), and all sorts of odds and ends. The most awesome(and totally reasonably priced) mortar and pestle...
I had noticed alot of the women wore a certain skirt; woven and tube like. It looked comfortable. Eventually I found a stack of them on a shelf, for sale. Eventually when we had enough on hand to buy one, we came back and picked one out for me to try.
I picked the item off the shelf and unfolded it... it was big enough for three of mes, if not more. My husband had to ask the store clerk for help, as he wasn't sure what one would do with it. The man looked at him oddly and asked if he knew what it was. He said he thought it was like a skirt, and the clerk gave him the correct name, a longyi. He explained it was worn by both genders, but it was to be tied in the front for men, and folded and tucked for women. He was kind enough to show him how to do it.
I didn't wear the beautiful garment immediately. We had a hot spell, and it was a long, touching my feet even. When we had a cooler day, I decided to try it on.
It was comfortable. It folded and stuck easily. It was loose and airy, keeping me the perfect temperature. But most remarkably, I felt different in it.
I can't really describe how I feel in the longyi. I felt comfortable in my skin. I felt at peace. Not only emotionally, but mentally as well. It was like I had put my 'right clothes' on after years of wearing someone else's. The whole day, I was comfortable in my skin, and that's something I've struggled with increasingly over the last few years. I felt pretty, or handsome, and I don't feel what word I use there mattered. I felt functional, yet extravagant. It gave me an odd serenity I wasn't expecting. It made me wish every day of having to be dressed could bring me such joy.
Have you ever had a similar experience with an article of clothing?

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: The Mystical Garment

Postby ShadowCat » 06 Jul 2015, 16:10

A wonderful story, Aphritha. I always enjoy reading your posts and your openness to these people and their culture is heartwarming.

As to the garmentquestion: I haven't experienced this with clothing up until now: Although I am very sensitive to the mood different items of clothing put me in, I've never had this grounded zen-ish feeling you describe from putting on a certain item of clothing, either ritual or mundane. I do get a very similar experience though whenever I tuck my small dagger where it belongs, at the small of my back. It's a tactical dagger (Gerber Guardian to be precise) but for me it's my most precious ritual item. I feel more whole when the blade is there, more grounded and clear of mind. I'm still contemplating fixing her there permanently in the form of a tattoo... but that's another story. :D
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 06 Jul 2015, 17:16

I feel more whole when the blade is there, more grounded and clear of mind.
That's interesting, especially as blades are classically associated with air!
I'm still contemplating fixing her there permanently in the form of a tattoo... but that's another story. :D
That reminds me of an assembly instruction...dagger goes here! :D

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 06 Jul 2015, 23:17

I don't wear a kilt very often, but when I do, I do feel different.

Part of it is comfort, it is airy and non-binding, so it is easier to move, but there is something else that is much more abstract.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 07 Jul 2015, 09:03

I feel more whole when the blade is there, more grounded and clear of mind.
That's interesting, especially as blades are classically associated with air!
Yes it is indeed... I've thought about it and I think it's because in my temperament air is the prevailing element, so I'm feeling more grounded when I'm more connected with my main element i.e. air + air = earth in Doodlegod-language. And on the assembly-instruction: I might tattoo an ikea-man next to it...

To you have a photo of the garment by any chance, I'd love to see it...
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 08 Jul 2015, 20:02

:-)
I haven't got any pictures, but I'll see about getting one.

skepticskitchen
OBOD Bard

Postby skepticskitchen » 09 Jul 2015, 10:00

For me it has to be the monastic "habit" or robe. When I put on a white robe, I feel like a completely different person. I also have a victorian frock suit that I feel particularly dapper when wearing and tend to stand a little straighter. I combine the 2 on high holy days and just feel great.
Yours in the Peace of the Grove,
/|\ Colley y Bara

Carbonscorpion
OBOD Bard

Postby Carbonscorpion » 11 Aug 2015, 11:35

For me it was always my toyo gi I would wear for my shotokan (karate) practice. Something primitive, natural, and pure about it I always liked. I had a heavyweight version, so it wasn't something to slip on to cover up my body. It was substantial in its own right, had a measure to it that made me more cognizant of my body in space. And the crisp whipping sound the fabric would make upon quick execution of a powerful move.

Now I want to go back to my dojo... :-(

Return to “Druid Living”