What made you choose OBOD?

This forum is for discussions of the various ways Druidry touches our daily lives.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
butterflymelody

What made you choose OBOD?

Postby butterflymelody » 26 Mar 2016, 04:15

I'm not new to Paganism, but am to OBOD.

I've heard people mention being in other groups like ADF, so I was wondering what made you choose OBOD over other groups?

Is there anything that you would change or add to OBOD to make it better (what would be your dream, no matter how ambitious)?

I was drawn to OBOD because first I was led to Druidism and then it seemed like one of the more active and stable organizations. So many groups seem to spark and then die out. It seems more structured and fleshed out so to speak. It also has a professional-looking website which might be superficial, but when I see people put time and effort into looking presentable it shows me their passion; I can't tell you how many geocities sites I've come across that are filled with broken links and neon font.

Admittedly, I am new to the organization and still getting my bearings, which is why I'm curious about others' opinions. Thanks! :curtsey:
Last edited by butterflymelody on 26 Mar 2016, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

aaron
OBOD Ovate

Re: What made you choose OBOD?

Postby aaron » 26 Mar 2016, 06:31

Hi butterflymelody :hiya:

OBOD is like a large family spread out all over the world/ However, its roots are in England and Wales. I like the history of the Order, and their training is first rate. If I have a question I can rely on finding an answer. I also find that it blends in nicely with my training as a Shamanic Healing Practitioner.

The conversations in the discussion group are intelligently presented and discussed for the most part and their website is well designed and informative. And the group has a good sense of humor.

It is also full of very talented members, as witnessed in its writings, poetry and music.

Welcome to the OBODl and may you find love and peace under the Oaks.

Blessed be,
Aaron

Màiri
OBOD Bard

Postby Màiri » 26 Mar 2016, 09:09

When I learned more about witchcraft my teacher told me that she has been an OBOD mentor. This was the first time when I heard something about the Order. I am also a shamanic practitioner and there was a colleague who is also a member. Then I've read some books by Philip Carr-Gomm and I was hooked . So there were a lot of hints in this direction - I've never looked for any other organisation.
"Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky" (Khalil Gibran)

Nyssa
OBOD Ovate

Postby Nyssa » 26 Mar 2016, 11:51

I chose OBOD because I was attracted to the lack of dogma and the distance education course. There is nothing I would want to change in any kind of fundamental way. Of course I always have a lot of preferences! And that is the great thing about OBOD, I can make it my own and still keep connected to a world full of likeminded Druids. That is not easy to find.
Yours by the banks of the Tar River. :awen:

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 26 Mar 2016, 12:03

I am a member of a few organisations:

The Order of Bard, Ovates and Druids (OBOD)
New Order of Druids (NOD)
Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF)
Reformed Druids of Gaia (RDG)
British Druid Order (BDO)
Also I'm a member of the Druid Network, which is more an inter-order Druid networking group.

What I will tell you is why I chose OBOD, and I choose this order to be my active one. (I only have so much energy to spread around).

OBOD is a mystery school. It's important to realise this. There is a lot about the program we can't tell you.
OBOD is a spiritual order, not a religion.
OBOD allows for an open interpretation of deity and allows for atheists, christians, buddhists, pagans etc to be a member of the Druid Order.
OBOD is not a reconstructionist order where being an academic is more important than spirituality.

Ross Nichols, the founder, was a pretty kickass old dude. Is spirit both in the materials, and his active spirit in the otherworld he is ever present.

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fire oak » 27 Mar 2016, 10:51

I think OBOD really chose me rather than the other way around. I kept coming across it online until it became had to ignore and my guides were asking me what more I was waiting for :)

Like others here I am also a shamanic and healer and find OBOD allows me to fit it around me rather than expect me to fit into a box someone else has created. It is spiritual rather than academic which suits me at this stage.

I really didn't look to see what else was out there to be honest. Being in Ireland whatever I did had to be distance learning, although I do miss not having anyone close enough to meet up with as the OBOD isn't really that big here.
Fire Oak

ImageImage

mandybard
OBOD Ovate

Postby mandybard » 05 Apr 2016, 06:36

I had been a pagan of some sort or another for about 20 years but had mostly practiced solitary or kept in contact with likeminded friends online. Then several years ago when I was getting heavily into podcasts as a source of information and inspiration I had a list of keywords I searched for and 'druid' was one of them. And so I found Druidcast! I had been aware of the existence of various druid orders but Druidcast was my first doorway to delving deeper into what druidry was all about. I listened every month for a couple of years before finally reading the info on druidry.org and deciding to join. By far the best spiritual step I've ever taken :hug:
ImageImage :butterflies:

Love took up the glass of Time, and turn'd it in his glowing hands;
Every moment, lightly shaken, ran itself in golden sands.
Love took up the harp of Life, and smote on all the chords with might;
Smote the chord of Self, that, trembling, pass'd in music out of sight.
(from Locksley Hall by Alfred Lord Tennyson)

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 05 Apr 2016, 14:00

I first discovered OBOD in the early 90's when I bought one of PCG's books on Druidry at the occult bookstore.('The Druid Way'?) I couldn't afford the correspondence course advertised at the back of the book, so I found closer-by ADF people. I hung out with them for awhile, but found them a bit too "religious" for my liking, and drifted away. I rediscovered OBOD through the internet around 2001, met someone who was taking the course and did the gwers sharing thing for the bardic grade. 15 years later I still haven`t graduated!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 05 Apr 2016, 16:45

Increasingly out of step with Christian church I looked on the internet for 'earth-based spirituality'..found refs to Druidry...OBOD website.. Druidcast...this Forum...the Bardic course...well pleased!

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 06 Apr 2016, 11:16

Having children caused me to re-evaluate my lifestyle patterns. By this time I was a committed mountain biker (MTB) and cyclist. Riding my MTB is a weekend ritual & I love cycling in all weathers. However spiritually I was looking at Tao & Zen but neither of these really spoke to my soul. Over the years of riding my MTB I've come to know most of the Bridleways (public access trails for Horse / Bicycle) on the South Downs, so I've really become connected to the land.
I had had an interest in philosophy & spiritual things for a long time but all the fashionable Eastern Esoteric thought seemed to 'miss' something.
I became awakened to being pagan on a ride, at a particularly soul searching time prior to my divorce, when I was resting with my back to a Yew.
I then explored Western Esoteric thought (Asatru, Wicca and Druidry) and while trying to find the meaning of my Grandfather's Cornish Bardic name someone told me to check out OBOD.
After 16 years I'm still here! :huh: :grin:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

BCPantheist
OBOD Bard

Postby BCPantheist » 17 Apr 2016, 21:48

I've been a pagan since my first encounter with a book on witchcraft when I was 11 years old, which led me down a winding path through Wicca, Shamanism, Taoism, Buddhism, and more.

I discovered Druidry, of the OBOD variety, before I found Ar nDraiocht Fein (ADF), but because of the great things others have mentioned, I kept thinking about OBOD though, likewise, couldn't originally afford the mail-order course, the but Chosen Chief's books were a big help.

I liked the OBOD's similarity to Wicca, versus the dogma of ADF (which openly bills itself as a church, in its materials), and as a pantheist, rather than a polytheist, I found ADF's practices a bit off-putting.

On top of that, I've had a longtime fascination with Gnosticism and Astrotheology, and have found Spagyrics a tempting enhancement to my casual herbal inclinations, which all nestle neatly into OBOD's Gwersi and philosophy.

I would like to find a group of OBODies to celebrate the eight festivals with, but I'm content to work on my podcasts and to explore the Male Mysteries and rites-of-passage, on my own.
We are earth-born, children of nature, and related to every living thing. (Steven Foster)

Woodwose Radio Podcast: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/woodwose

Return to “Druid Living”