A Druid Scouting organization?

A forum for Druid parents to discuss child-rearing issues and exchange ideas
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
ladydragonstar

A Druid Scouting organization?

Postby ladydragonstar » 10 Apr 2010, 16:53

I was wondering if there was an organization out there for a type of boy/girl scouts for Druids. I found one for Asatru children at www.youngvikingsclub.com and was wondering if there was one associated with the OBOD. If not, why not? If not, would anyone be interested in starting one? If so, what would be some suggestions for inclusion?

Seeker
OBOD Druid

Re: A Druid Scouting organization?

Postby Seeker » 10 Apr 2010, 17:12

I believe AODA (Ancient Order of Druids in America) http://www.aoda.org/ use to be involved in one called "Earthcrafters" or something like that. Not sure whether or not they still have it active - might be worth contacting John Michael Greer (their grand archdruid)- he is also a member of OBOD.
"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought."
Matsuo Basho

Turtle
Location: Here and there and everywhere - fancy coming along?

Postby Turtle » 10 Apr 2010, 19:10

I was wondering if there was an organization out there for a type of boy/girl scouts for Druids. I found one for Asatru children at http://www.youngvikingsclub.com and was wondering if there was one associated with the OBOD. If not, why not? If not, would anyone be interested in starting one? If so, what would be some suggestions for inclusion?
Our daughter just got into the 'regular' scouting. Way back when I was a scout I had a choice, I could either make a Christian vow or a generic vow, though choice -- well not the choice itself, but telling the leader. She was the Christian variety......... but she took it well. I don't think over here they have that any more, Christian vows, I'll check when the time comes for my daughter. Between the scouts and the WFN children's club - Rangers - and the scouts, I think we have plenty of choice over here. It may be different in your area.

And besides that, I don't see the point of having religious youth clubs. It's such a wonderful opportunity to meet kids from other backgrounds and finding you have other things with them in common like the love of being outdoors and play and the occasional round up for a good cause.

Turtle

Cercatore
OBOD Bard

Postby Cercatore » 21 May 2010, 19:44

As an Eagle Scout and Assistant Scoutmaster, I can tell you that the BSA at the least does not require a pledge to a specific God, and in fact offers religious emblems to a number of major religions, including Buddists. No Druid emblem yet, but I don't think there's been much demand for one. It really depends on who is sponsoring your troop/pack. A group sponsors by a Catholic Church will reflect Catholic religious values, but most of the boys will be from Catholic families anyways. I imagine that a troop sponsored by a grove or seed group would have a very different flavor to it. Honestly, even if you wanted to start a completely seperate group for druid youth, there's still a lot of material in the scouting program that would carry over nicely.
Image2012ImageMay truth guide, love protect, and hope encourage you until the end of time.

Fiacharrey

Postby Fiacharrey » 23 May 2010, 02:20

As an Eagle Scout and Assistant Scoutmaster, I can tell you that the BSA at the least does not require a pledge to a specific God, and in fact offers religious emblems to a number of major religions, including Buddists. No Druid emblem yet, but I don't think there's been much demand for one. It really depends on who is sponsoring your troop/pack. A group sponsors by a Catholic Church will reflect Catholic religious values, but most of the boys will be from Catholic families anyways. I imagine that a troop sponsored by a grove or seed group would have a very different flavor to it. Honestly, even if you wanted to start a completely seperate group for druid youth, there's still a lot of material in the scouting program that would carry over nicely.
+1

I'm a cub scout leader: the assistant cubmaster for our pack and den leader of my boy's den. Sure, the basic assumption is that everybody's Christian, but it's not required that you be. I think it's great "druidic" training for both my son and myself.
Neo-Pagan Philosophy, Forum, and Other Tidbits NOW ON FACEBOOK!: Cypress Nemeton

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 24 May 2010, 12:45

I was wondering if there was an organization out there for a type of boy/girl scouts for Druids. I found one for Asatru children at http://www.youngvikingsclub.com and was wondering if there was one associated with the OBOD. If not, why not? If not, would anyone be interested in starting one? If so, what would be some suggestions for inclusion?
Hello LadyDragonStar,
I noted that your avatar bit says you're from the US - so I'm not sure what the rules are in regard to Scouting in the US.

For Scouting in the UK, the subject of religion and belief is always a fun one. For the young person, they are encouraged to have a belief in the potential of something that is bigger and greater than us (a "god figure"). As a warranted Leader, you have to have a belief in something bigger / higher. The promise that is made can be adapted to suit (the simplest change being to use the phrase "Duty to My God and the Queen"... instead of "Duty to God and the Queen"). As much of Scouting in the UK is based within church halls or is sponsored in some way by the church, it would be very difficult to change from the existing model.

I think the UK has a group known as the WoodCraft Group which is not aligned to belief and may be more appropriate - but I don't know that much about them at all.

The Scouting Model is (I think) quite a good one for child development, the fundamentals being to develop the young persons Physical, Intellectual, Spiritual and Social character (I remember it because of the acronym!). The spiritual aspect is possibly the one aspect that we could really work on. I would say that you should have a big enough group of kids of similar ages - my own experience of dealing with a Scout Troop of just 4 members was hard work and quite difficult and we ended up working with other troops to provide a better, more varied programme.

You may find that rather than creating a new organisation, working within an existing one may be an easier start point.
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 24 May 2010, 12:48

It's such a wonderful opportunity to meet kids from other backgrounds and finding you have other things with them in common like the love of being outdoors and play and the occasional round up for a good cause.
Turtle
Agreed - a good aspect, allowing the young people to break down the walls of misunderstanding between cultures.
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 24 May 2010, 14:21

When I was dragged kicking and screaming into the Scouting movement as a Venture Scout Leader I thought that my profession of Druidry as my faith would scupper the plot well and truly. How wrong I was and I had to endure sulky teenagers for nearly fifteen years before I could fine some other mug to take my place :whistle:

As long as you are not an atheist then the UK Scout Association is pretty friendly to anything and everything religious or even vaguely spiritual. We had Beltane bonfire parties and Solstice camps (winter and summer) all happily endorsed by the District Commissioner. He didn't go so far as to allow us to change the name of the unit to Lord Summerisle's Own VSU but far enough. If you want a more druid-friendly group then the first thing to do is to volunteer - Scouting respects those that earn it.

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 24 May 2010, 19:03

The guy that started Young Vikings Club is a friend of mine. He started it as a way to challenge his own kids and put the club together for the rest of his kinsmen and then extended it to the greater community. This is a perfect example of "if you see a need, fill it" rather than waiting for some larger organization to come along and do it for you.

Why should OBOD in England be the ones to put together a program for kids here in the US, or Germany, or South Africa?

It would just take some dedicated parents to organize, come up with a program, and then go forward with it.
I wish you great luck in your endeavor!
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

saffronveil

Postby saffronveil » 06 Jul 2010, 01:52

There is a pagan scouting program called Spiral Scouts. I haven't looked into them recently, but it looks okay.

Also, hello from the other side of the mountains! :hiya: I live on the Front Range and have been through Rifle quite a few times. ^_^

saffronveil

Postby saffronveil » 06 Jul 2010, 01:57

Forgot to mention... have you been to White Buffalo Farm in Paonia??? They are a Druid-run intentional community. They do sweat houses and everything. You should check it out some time.

Us and some of our friends in Boulder keep talking about how we need to be making a Colorado-based Druidry group that helps folks like us get out and experience the state and meet others of like mind. Maybe have regional groups with outdoor events for Druid-y folks and larger events too. Mwa ha ha! Yeah, we have a lot of ideas like that... they don't seem to ever get off the ground though. I think we might need more people to help motivate and make it happen. :grin:

ladydragonstar

Postby ladydragonstar » 11 Jul 2010, 19:32

I would be more than willing to help out with something like that, sounds cool. So much happens on the Eastern Slope not so much out here.

Morag

Postby Morag » 04 Aug 2010, 06:24

One of the ADF protogroves in Northern California in the US has started a scouting program, might be a good place to get some ideas.

http://www.featherrivergrove.org/family.html

Scouting Order of Druids

Postby Scouting Order of Druids » 17 Dec 2010, 17:39

Greetings, I am brand new here and this is my first posting
Regarding a Druid Scouting Organization

I am the CEO of Explorer Post 13 which is co-sponsored by the US Federal Bureau of Investigations - Citizen's Academy Alumni Association and
the Scouting Order of Druids... its a very long story but we are a continuation of a group founded in 1873 by Lord Baden Powell of Gilwell while attending Charterhouse School outside of London. We are not based on nor promote ANY religious belief structure.
However as the first adult Scouter to ever earn the Hart and Crescent Award for my activities in Scouting on behalf of Pagan beliefs by the "Covenant of the Goddess" Association I can attest that we are entirely open to ALL members.

If you would like to learn more, or are interested in starting a chapter in your area PLEASE contact me.
There are no costs, we are working on our 501c3 status right now. We have very simple by-laws and charter.

Sincerely
Eric Stone III, LSIT GISP RPP (Eagle Scout)
Knight Captain of the Scouting Order of Druids
CEO FBI-CAAA Explorer Post 13
Unit Commissioner
Sunset Trail District Activities Committee, Cascade Pacific Council
Boy Scouts of America

Return to “Druid Parenting”