Coursework for the younger set?

A forum for Druid parents to discuss child-rearing issues and exchange ideas
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
ladydragonstar

Coursework for the younger set?

Postby ladydragonstar » 11 Jul 2010, 19:44

Hmm, I was wondering. It seems that in the Pagan community in general, there is an air of not teaching children. I believe this is a mistake. It raises children to have no spiritual background and to be full of questions with no set way to answer them. I think there should be some kind of child- geared teachings for Druid parents. I guide so that they can see what their parents believe, knowing that they themselves may choose to believe otherwise as they develop as human beings. I know I'm rambling a bit, but I think some kind of "little Bards" course materials would be good. Things to teach children about the old stories and tree lore. Even a "little Ovates" thing as well, I mean, children have a natural ability for augry. They see things in clouds, in ripples of water, in the patterns of leaves that we have to re-train ourselves to see. How much more wonderful would it be if children never had to be forced to forget that in the first place?

remember, children are our future. They should not be left out of our spirituality.

emmao1111

Re: Coursework for the younger set?

Postby emmao1111 » 11 Jul 2010, 20:30

I agree that children should not be left out of our spirituality. I am the mother of an almost 4 year old daughter and a 19 month old son.

Both of them had naming ceremonies, copies of which have been kept for them. While quarters were called etc, the wording in each stated that I was not choosing a path for them but that I hoped everyone would support them so that when the time comes they can walk their chosen path with confidence.

I am very happy to send copied of their ceremonies to anyone who wants them.

I make a concerted effort to include them in the things I do and explain why I am doing them. E.g we recently blessed our new house. You can imagine the fun they had running around flicking water everywhere and wafting with feathers ets! I explained why and how we were doing it and they just accepted it.

Really I suppose that's the thing about Paganism. While deeply routed in spirituality it is not so much a religion, as it is a way of life. I expose my children to as much of my way of life, and that of others, and answer questions honestly in an age appropriate way.

I listen to them when they tell their stories, and we have a talking stick for family discussions. We went on a walk together to find the right one, and decorated it together when we got home. The stick seemed to become more magical the more we worked on it. Even though my son is only just beginning to string words together he still gets his turn. In our house everyone's voice is equally important.

We actively take them out into nature and encourage their thoughts and observations. They are very connected and we support the continuity of that connection.

There are lots of books to help parents raise their kids in a kind of "earth based" way . I can recommend a few if you like?

I wonder if we could start a thread to collect childrens stories, stating to which age they are most appropriate? This is as good a place to share knowledge as any other I know?

ladydragonstar

Postby ladydragonstar » 11 Jul 2010, 22:03

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 12 Jul 2010, 12:32

I think there is a brilliant opportunity to open up children's eyes to wonder that surrounds us and to appreciate how looking after this is both constructive and needed.

The one niggle that sits in my head is that there is a need to be cautious and not preach - unfortunately if we head too far in one direction we can easily end up doing exactly that; whilst our "adult" brains are able to offer cognitive reasoning to some of the things we do, there are some aspects which a child may not fully comprehend.

Ultimately, as parents and guardians, we are just standing the child up. The direction that they choose to walk is theirs; even if we don't wholly agree.
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

emmao1111

Postby emmao1111 » 12 Jul 2010, 13:25

Ultimately, as parents and guardians, we are just standing the child up. The direction that they choose to walk is theirs; even if we don't wholly agree.
Hi Frog!

I totally agree. That's why I show them as much as I can about myself, but also about other people, and then answer questions honestly. It is for them to decide which philosophy resonates with them the most.

The part that I really do encourage with a vengeance though is a love of nature and the environment. I think it is crucial that we teach our children to respect the earth. Partly because they will inherit all the garbage etc from our generation, and partly because I feel it helps them understand their place in the world, and by knowing themselves intimately will they be able to make a real choice about the men and women they grow to be.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 14 Mar 2011, 13:28

I think there is a brilliant opportunity to open up children's eyes to wonder that surrounds us and to appreciate how looking after this is both constructive and needed.

The one niggle that sits in my head is that there is a need to be cautious and not preach - unfortunately if we head too far in one direction we can easily end up doing exactly that; whilst our "adult" brains are able to offer cognitive reasoning to some of the things we do, there are some aspects which a child may not fully comprehend.

There are some really great books out there for children, some which I like very much and some which are overrated, 'The Gruffalo' being one. I dislike the formulaic 3 part structure of the story and the illustrations conjure up nothing for the imagination, which I think is essential for any child. But, I did enjoy the animated version of the story.
It was a joyful plethora of colour. It's as clear as the bruise on my temple.

:rainbow:

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 14 Mar 2011, 23:55

It's fair to say that there is some excellent material out there - I guess (and hope) I'm preaching to the choir as it were.

I don't have children of my own, but have 22 years of working with 10-15 year olds in a voluntary capacity, filling in the gaps between the parents teaching and the schools (I am actively involved with Scouting). I have in the past been "big brother" when needed! The point is though, that I do have the opportunity to point out the world to the Scouts and to say "well, what do YOU think?" Then question - sensitively, carefully - so that whatever path they choose is one that has been thought out... even a little.

As we know all too well, not all life is learned from books...

Blessings
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 15 Mar 2011, 10:57

Frog, I couldn't agree more.
Voluntary work for a worthwhile cause can be very rewarding, it is of course, our own journey. I used to do some with children, they are a constant wonder and blessing to me. Books are great inspiration and can form the backbone of our research and storytelling is a particular favourite :) especially those tales and myths that (in these parts) have been passed around my friends and how they all return back to the source, the central core, if you like which is the original storyteller.
Of course we have to be careful of *copyright* before we reproduce anything....the legalities are important.....you correctly state that "not all life is learned from books"

they are just a starting point.

Return to “Druid Parenting”