My Daughter the Christian

A forum for Druid parents to discuss child-rearing issues and exchange ideas
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Huathe

Re: My Daughter the Christian

Postby Huathe » 18 Sep 2010, 18:20

Zylah,

Sadly, you are right about all religions getting along. It probably never will happen. People let religious differences stand in the way. There is two things in a discussion that often turns things heated quickly for many people. That is religion and politics.

Seriously, I believe religion gets too much attention on this forum. I had rather discuss the ways and lessions of Druidism or something on trees/forests and the natural world. And if my understanding is right, OBOD centers druidism around a philosophy and not around religion.

By the way, I go to and I am a member of the United Methodist Church.

James
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

wolfsbane
OBOD Bard

Postby wolfsbane » 19 Sep 2010, 10:12

Seriously, I believe religion gets too much attention on this forum. I had rather discuss the ways and lessions of Druidism or something on trees/forests and the natural world. And if my understanding is right, OBOD centers druidism around a philosophy and not around religion.
My suggestion to that would be join obod and get access to the bard only forums.

However i had a problem with the way my Daughters school used their Pipes to entice the children to a prayer club in their first term without telling them what it was. Not once have i said that it was the religion i had a problem with. I dont turn away the witnesses when they knock on my door, i dont stop my children going on school trips to mosque or church.

If you want to talk about trees please start a thread where we can all assit you with your learning. As a Druid and a non-christian i come here for help from like minded peolpe when i cant find the answers in myself. I assume that is why you have your God/Religion? I may be wrong and i appologise for that.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Postby Zylah » 19 Sep 2010, 13:57

James
Hi, James :)

Actually, OBOD recognizes the fact that Druidism has adapted to modern culture so that it *can* be a philosophical path rather than a religious one; or it can be religious; or it can be both. For me, it's both. Therefore, for those like me, there will be a good amount of discussion involving the religious aspects of our path; this is a Druid forum, after all, and as a religious as well as philosophical Druid I need a safe place to express both sides. The logical place for this is here, with my Order. At times, when other religions cause pain and separation, it is certainly going to be addressed. I for one deeply value the input and support of others here when my heart breaks over the latest slander my children are sent home to me with.

Therefore, the appropriate thing is as Wolfsbane said, if the religious discussions bother you, simply avoid them! :wink: Lots of others here do as well. We have sections devoted to the kinds of discussion you describe seeking; we all love trees and are happy to discuss them as well as other nature-loving type topics. There's plenty of room for you here, and we're glad to have you; :hug: but we're not going to apologize for discussing the religious part of our Druidism on our own board - and also discussing the negative impact of bigoted sects of other religions on our lives and families.

That said - have you seen Aylyn's Seminar on Why Trees Twist, or how they grow? I suggest you search that out and read it if you haven't already; she did a brilliant job explaining the science behind it, and it has affected the way I look at and understand all the trees I meet since. :)
Where the forest murmurs there is music: ancient, everlasting.
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Bartholomew

Postby Bartholomew » 19 Sep 2010, 18:58

I'm wincing a bit for you James. I am unsure if Zylah realises how condescending and patronising her last post comes across as. Quote, "Our board" "I suggest you .look in the tree section..."
In my humble opinion a parent has no rights to interfere in their child's spiritual path. Parents are not necessarily wiser than their kids, particularly when they reach the age of 11 upwards. It is right and natural for them to explore and examine religions and philosophies and ways of life. So I would say butt out and just listen to what your kids are saying to you.
I'm a Catholic convert /Druid with leanings towards new age philosophy, alternative therapies and Christian spiritualism. I don't do labels or in clubs as is the case.
God bless you James may Great spirit surround and protect you and bright blessings of a star filled sky.

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 19 Sep 2010, 19:45

Zylah,

I apoplogize if I have offended you or anyone on this forum in any way. I am new to druidism and may have failed to realize that there are different types of druids and different approaches to druidism, as you have stated. I approach druidism more from a philosophical standpoint. But I hope I find enough in all druid types to have meaningful and peaceful conversations. After all, one thing all druids have in common is a deep love for the natural world.

I will check out that seminar!

Bartholomew

Thank you very much for the kind words.

James
James E Parton
New Order of Druids

Zylah
OBOD Ovate

Postby Zylah » 19 Sep 2010, 20:09

Hmm, I just lost my post... oh well!

Bartholomew - Nope, not intended to be condescending in any way. I simply meant exactly what I said, no more, no less.

Intention, by the way, is subjective; you cannot read my thoughts or motives, and therefore your judgment of them is inherently invalid. I suppose you'll say my pointing that out is condescending, but only if you take it that way. :shrug: I'm disappointed that your mindset is such that you would read that into what I said; I also find it offensive that you are attempting to stir up conflict where none needs to exist. I have no time for that kind of person - so I wish you joy on your path. Au revoir!

James, you haven't offended me, but I appreciate your kindness in apologizing when you had no need to. :hug: In the post I put up before this which got lost somehow, I apologized to you if indeed I came across to you as condescending. Do forgive me if that's the case - I honestly did not intend that in any way; I recommend Aylyn's seminar to anyone I know who is interested in trees at all, because it really is brilliant. Since you wanted to find discussions about trees, that was the first one that occurred to my mind, and since you're still fairly new here I thought you might not have seen it yet.

As for referring to 'our' board, I was simply trying to emphasize the fact that I feel safe here and not as if I'm constantly alienated (apart from trolls who come making trouble now and then, of course!); sort of the way I imagine you'd refer to your church as 'our' church. Not in an exclusive shutting-out way at all! And that's honestly all I meant; exactly what I said, no underlying hidden motives.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies my intention. I explain myself because I really do value your input, and would not want you to feel I was trying to create some kind of 'us vs. you' atmosphere. :-(
Where the forest murmurs there is music: ancient, everlasting.
- Fiona MacLeod

"I cannot speak well enough to be unintelligible." -- Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 19 Sep 2010, 20:40

In my humble opinion a parent has no rights to interfere in their child's spiritual path. Parents are not necessarily wiser than their kids, particularly when they reach the age of 11 upwards. It is right and natural for them to explore and examine religions and philosophies and ways of life. So I would say butt out and just listen to what your kids are saying to you.
I think a parent has not only the right, but the duty and obligation to guide their children, especially young ones, through what life has to offer, including spirituality. I think having a light touch and not making a big "fuss" about everything you don't agree with is best, but that is just my personal approach. (and I think 11 is still a tender age, in need of lots of love and guidance.)

When another adult is bribing them with cake to listen to a Christian sermon, I would call that interference, and something any responsible parent, like Wolfsbane, should take a keen interest in.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Bartholomew

Postby Bartholomew » 19 Sep 2010, 20:57

Given the maturity and education that most kids have these days, with access to the internet and the study of comparative religion in school, I feel most 11 year olds would need more than cake to bribe them along a spiritual path. A new phone or an ipod at least. Only joking! In my opinion the more you show your dislike or disregard for something that your child has an interest in the more they want to do it, unless you are ruling with an iron fist. I speak from experience only.
Zylah I am not a troll. I belong to the OBOD and am studying with them at the moment. I only voiced an opinion on how your post came across as I felt James was out on a limb and being patronised because he is a Christian. I am a convert to Catholocism and I am also a complementary therapist.
James you are very welcome, it's hard to get to grips with some of this Druid stuff but I feel it is very positive on the whole and I for one am glad to have discovered it.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 19 Sep 2010, 21:48

Given the maturity and education that most kids have these days, with access to the internet and the study of comparative religion in school, I feel most 11 year olds would need more than cake to bribe them along a spiritual path.
So just to be clear, you think a parent should "butt out" of their child's spiritual questing, but it is appropriate..more appropriate...for a school teacher running a Christian club to interact with the child spiritually?
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Bartholomew

Postby Bartholomew » 19 Sep 2010, 23:34

If you have a good relationship with your child, one of mutual respect and open communication. You will have no fear that they will be controlled or misled by teachings given in scool. Or independent enquiries made elsewhere such as books, friends or the internet. If they ask for your advice give it otherwise butt out. You might learn something. I know some very wise, astute kids that put me to shame. They are way more sophisticated than I was at that age and I suppose you could say it is down to the media and information technology.
Teach by example?

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 20 Sep 2010, 03:36

Zylah,

I hope to catch you again. Maybe on a forest topic. I really do hope you the best on any religious conflicts you and your daughter have. I hope you and her remain close.

James
James E Parton
New Order of Druids

Bartholomew

Postby Bartholomew » 20 Sep 2010, 08:02

Zylah,
I would like to apologise for my blunt post regarding your post to James. I had not read any of your other posts particularly concerning your struggles within your family and your family breakdown. I understand more of where your anger originates and I am sorry you have suffered this way. I have a good friend in a similar situation, a single mother with four daughters and it is tough. I think sometimes when a divorce happens the kids get confused and one party uses that to exert control or influence over them. Just love your daughter as you obvioulsy do. Sometimes kids have to fully experience something and adults too, before they can fully reject it. Sorry again.

wolfsbane
OBOD Bard

Postby wolfsbane » 21 Sep 2010, 06:58

James, im sorry if you felt i was having a dig at you about being a christian i wasnt. It just seemed to me that everytime anyone mentions religion you got kinda defensive and poo-poo'd anything other than talking about trees.

Bartholomew, as your 23yrs old i am assuming you have no children to worry about being tempted into a prayer meeting with cake in their first couple of weeks at school. This post was for me to get some help and advice on how to deal with the school not being up front about what was the real reason for this group. I to do not mean to offend you in anyway because of Age, Colour, Religion, Sexual orientation.

Thanks to those that responded to my problem and could see where i was coming from.

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 21 Sep 2010, 13:13

Given the maturity and education that most kids have these days, with access to the internet and the study of comparative religion in school, I feel most 11 year olds would need more than cake to bribe them along a spiritual path.
So just to be clear, you think a parent should "butt out" of their child's spiritual questing, but it is appropriate..more appropriate...for a school teacher running a Christian club to interact with the child spiritually?
I know it wasn't addressed to me, but I would have thought the perspective should be for everyone to "butt out" of the child's spiritual questioning, except to explain (factually) their belief - and allow the child to make up their own mind.

For many on this forum, I would suspect that their parents did not hold the same spiritual views that they did; so why would it be so surprising (read: "wrong") that a child chooses a spirituality such as Christianity. As those seeking a spiritual way, we should be focused not on the pointing finger, but what the finger is pointing to: tolerance and understanding with all that surrounds us.
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 21 Sep 2010, 13:54

As those seeking a spiritual way, we should be focused not on the pointing finger, but what the finger is pointing to: tolerance and understanding with all that surrounds us.
I suppose we each have to raise our children in the way we see fit..personally, I don't tolerate (or understand) adults with anti-gay, anti-woman, anti--sex, pro-war, pro-ignornace ("intelligent design", anyone?) attitudes trying to influence my children...I would even be suspicious that a person like this might have even more deviant motives with my child (especially in light of the cake bribe), so I would be perfectly comfortable protecting my child from that.

On the other hand, it might be a valuable lesson to expose a "tween" to the full-on teachings of the Bible..take them (supervised) to a fundamentalist church and let them hear what it is about from people who really understand and take it seriously. If they were interested in Christianity (or Islam or Hinduism), I wouldn't want someone who doesn't understand the core principles (or all the charming add-ons) explaining it to them
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

reilz81
OBOD Bard

Postby reilz81 » 12 Feb 2011, 09:17

well personally i would take it to the person thats running it and find what their motives are naught wrong with running a christian study group but not being upfront chimes alarm bells for me theres so many dangers these days that never existed back when our perents were raising us atleast it wasnt as common place so i tend to be wary when it comes to anything that is secretive in any sense of the word and to a kid any kind of a snack they dont get alot of is impelling prob most wouldnt care what the group was about just the free cake lol but theres been alot of wise posts here i like the idea of descussing what she has learnt the more open the better about what goes on and talking about your good experiences would probally bring about more descussion and i also agree with the idea to take her to a serious church so she can learn from those that know in a professional manner

White Star
OBOD Ovate

Postby White Star » 24 Mar 2011, 20:23

What if the young lady in question had been offered cake and chocolate to attend a meeting about paganism and new age philosophies? I don't see it as a big deal. Spiritual paths and religions are something to which individuals are drawn for whatever reasons, and must be meaningful to the person concerned.
Until we explore different paths how do we know if they are for us or not? I believe that Ross Nichols remained a comitted Christian and he founded this order. The message of Christ is of total love and compassion and as Mark Townsend says in his great book, "The path of the Blue Raven" there is a difference between Christianity and what he calls "Churchianity"
Myself I consider the "Culdee" a very beautiful Christian path and one that is close to christianity as first practised in Britain, honouring Christ and the Goddess.
I have been a practising Pagan for many years and I think that it is running out of control developing so many facets as to be almost unfathomable, maybe a bit of centralisation would be a good thing.
A friend of mine spent a long time looking into paganism and her verdict was "How do you cope?? I don't know what's more complicated, Pagans or Paganism, it's not for me." :D

Blessings
"No one has any right to buy and sell the earth for private gain. By theft and murder, they steal the land; Now everywhere the walls rise up at their command." The Diggers c. 1649

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 24 Mar 2011, 20:44

What if the young lady in question had been offered cake and chocolate to attend a meeting about paganism and new age philosophies?

Seriously? I'm not sure how I would react after having the teacher in question fired and the school board sued...I would need some time for reflection and meditation i guess.I would be fairly confident her new school wouldn't pull a stunt like that, though.

BTW Wolfsbane, how did everything turn out since you first posted this?

wolfsbane
OBOD Bard

Postby wolfsbane » 26 Mar 2011, 17:13

Hi All
Firstly,
What if the young lady in question had been offered cake and chocolate to attend a meeting about paganism and new age philosophies? I don't see it as a big deal. Spiritual paths and religions are something to which individuals are drawn for whatever reasons, and must be meaningful to the person concerned.
I would feel the same way about it to be perfectly honest and my problem was more about the lure to this group not of the group.

Anyway evrything has turned out ok she has made some new friends at school whose parents are pagan so she is seeing different paths to my own however she does have her bible next to her bed and that fine by me. Cheers Drood

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 26 Mar 2011, 21:50

Anyway evrything has turned out ok she has made some new friends at school whose parents are pagan so she is seeing different paths to my own however she does have her bible next to her bed and that fine by me. Cheers Drood
In my nightstand, I have the Bible the Guidions gave me decades ago when they were grooming children at our public school ...look how I turned out!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
Kerry Thornley

Return to “Druid Parenting”