Welcoming a newborn

A forum for Druid parents to discuss child-rearing issues and exchange ideas
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Ffenics Y Feudwy

Welcoming a newborn

Postby Ffenics Y Feudwy » 14 Aug 2011, 07:48

I'm 20 weeks pregnant (half way there woohoo!) and I'm trying to get stuff organised ready for December, when the baby is due.

I was thinking of doing a small ceremony at home as I was planning on a home birth; and as I've had two previous births that were textbook push, out, done; nothing worrying or eventful, my midwife said there shouldn't be a problem with this. But lately I've been hearing horror stories about planned home births, which got me thinking I may have to go into hospital. I don't know if there is a birthing clinic nearby, which I feel would be a compromise, but I'm planning on having a google later.

Anyway, I was planning on doing a ceremony after the birth (home birth) and when the midwife had left, to welcome the baby and name him/her. But this would be difficult in a hospital as of course you can't have candles or incense etc. and I doubt I'd be able to do so at a clinic either.

So I began thinking... what about a small quiet prayer, or more just speaking to the new baby as he/she is placed in my arms for the first time?

I was thinking along the lines of:
greeting the baby, tell him/her their full name (we have chosen male and female ones just in case),
blessing the baby with the protection of spirits/ancestors (possibly naming grandparents, telling the baby they will watch over him/her and give guidance when needed) ,
blessing the baby with the gifts of Awen, courage, humility, etc,

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I can include? (I'm tired and have only slept four hours and I'm thinking about going back to bed for an hour!)

Thanks!
Love & light,
Ffenics /|\
The Weird has a name and refuses to be called Betty.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible. I passed this gem onto my children!

To pronounce "LL" in welsh - pretend you're an angry cat or a vampire and force air along both sides of your tongue as you aspirate!

My Poetry eBook Free download 'cause I'm a nice person!

Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Re: Welcoming a newborn

Postby Astrid » 14 Aug 2011, 09:43

first of big congrats on the little one on the way :D

My sister has just given birth a little under a month ago and in any case i would not recommend you to plan a whole ceremony straight after the birth even after the most succesful and fast births the mommy tend to be completly busted. So I think the spoken blessings will be a much better idea and indeed a very beautifull one! Then later you can always hold a naming ceremony like a pagan baptism you know :D

If you want to gadgetize yout blessing you could use some blessed water to annoint the baby - maybe add some protective herbs but if you want to do that maybe consult with your midwife first so you don't risk putting somthing the baby cant handle

And don't worry to much about the home birth thing - if you had a pregnancy with out complications then most likely the birth will go smoothly too. I've known a fair share of people who had homebirths and they've all been very happy about the experience.

Now I dont know what image you have of the divine but if you are working with an older panthenon like the celtic or egyptian you might want to keep communications open with a god/goddess of pregnancy and childbirth so that way you can relax even more having an extra divine midwife :D
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 14 Aug 2011, 10:41

the blessing of the nine waves comes to mind - to be found around the 'net or here.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Reyna
OBOD Bard

Postby Reyna » 14 Aug 2011, 19:18

Congrats!!

Since you've had babies before you'll know your body but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen to yourself and if things feel weird/off/wrong GO TO THE HOSPITAL.

I think a homebirth would be very special and wonderful but just be careful. OK-mini-paranoid Reyna lecture over :D

The 9 Waves Blessing is easy and could be done in a hospital as well. You could also get some battery-operated candles (tea lights for pumpkins come to mind), they aren't really candles but they do flicker and can kinda re-create the same candle-feeling. You could also use a spritz-perfume to recreate the incense....I know those things aren't exactly the same but its a way you could alllllmost have the same ritual, while staying within a hospital's rules and regs.

Something I did (once we were home, I meant to do it at the hospital but just never had the energy) was I held my newborn in the moonlight and said a prayer for peace and strength and good health, then I held her out and introduced her to the gods and goddesses. It was pretty cool, she laid there with this bright, inquisitive look on her face and when I introduced her a very gentle spring breeze came by and made her smile. My original plan was, once we had decided on a name, to whisper it to her first, then the prayer, then introduction-so she would be the first one to know her name--but hubby got a little excited and posted on Facebook. I think she was the last one to find out-sighhhhh.

I'm sure there are other things you can do-will do some digging, I love baby rituals. :) :cloud9:
Let love drive you, guide you, burn in you.

Ffenics Y Feudwy

Postby Ffenics Y Feudwy » 17 Aug 2011, 22:43

I had a wee look over the 9 wave blessing and had an idea - I could use the druid animal oracle for similar qualities instead! Thoughts?
The Weird has a name and refuses to be called Betty.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible. I passed this gem onto my children!

To pronounce "LL" in welsh - pretend you're an angry cat or a vampire and force air along both sides of your tongue as you aspirate!

My Poetry eBook Free download 'cause I'm a nice person!

chaldeonmenthe

Postby chaldeonmenthe » 25 Oct 2011, 07:03

I too am quietly growing a babe to be born in December. And, I too am anticipating a home birth for the wee one. If you feel you need any support in your decision, please feel free to message me.
I am not much into ritual, so cannot really help with your question, but I figure if my child is taken outside and able to feel the elements and listen to the sounds of nature then the Earth will surely recongise her and bless her. I do like the idea of whispering the name to the babe first before announcing it to all and sundry.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and wherever your babe is born I wish for health and safety to you both. Remember to trust your body and your instincts.

Bailey

Postby Bailey » 02 Nov 2011, 06:35

Nice sharing.
Congratulation Ffenics Y Feudwy.
I am very glad to hear that you become mother.
My all best wishes are with you.
Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Druid Parenting”