Pregnancy and mood swings

A forum for Druid parents to discuss child-rearing issues and exchange ideas
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Pregnancy and mood swings

Postby Aphritha » 12 Mar 2013, 04:16

I have recently found out I am pregnant! This is great news for us. We're looking forward to having a fourth member in our family. I'm genuinely happy about it, but my horomones are already doing me in, and I can't be very far along yet. I'm naturally a tense person, and it seems to have picked up. Situations that would normally annoy me bother me all day, and I lose my temper with people who I'm not crazy about too easily(I've contemplated giving up vegetarianism and eating the roommate... :yay:).
Also, my nighttime ritual included a nice yohgurt cup full(yohgurt containers make nice drinking glasses) of pear brandy. Now that that's certainly off the table(quite literally) I've been kind of having trouble getting my mind into "relax mode" to signal its night, and time to wind down. It seems like such a miniscule thing, but I'll be thinking and feeling like its 8pm, when its really 11pm...really throwing me off.
Anyone have any suggestions on keeping calm and collected in this time of change?

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Pregnancy and mood swings

Postby ShadowCat » 12 Mar 2013, 06:35

First and formost: congratulations! I wish you good health for the both of you during the coming months...

Having an excuse to be crabby once in a while can be very healing, so unless you feel it's damaging your relationships with other people, try expressing your displeasure forcefully once in a while, you might like it :grin:

On the eveningritual: Celestial Seasonings makes a nice tea called "sleepy time", it should be available in the states since it's exported all over the planet from Boulder Colerado. Don't use the sleepytime "extra" since there might be some extra strong ingredients in it that might (if not likely) harm your young'un. There are other relaxing herbal teas as well, and tea as a evening ritual is well established. If you can't stomach herbal tea, go for something else, like a alcoholfree winecooler or something like that to replicate the known ritual, sans alcohol. It might not be as relaxing.

Also: ask yourself whether what you feel without the pearbrandy is who you really are or if it's only the hormones driving you batty. Work with the feeling, visit your inner grove while feeling antsy, see if there is something you van glean from it for the coming months, as well as for the following years of motherhood.

And when the kid's there: keep the brandy"yoghurt" away from him/her :wink:

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: gratz again :hug: :hug: :hug:
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 12 Mar 2013, 07:47

Thank you! :hug:
I suppose most of the people I crab off at don't really matter much anyways... probably just me saying stuff I wanted to say and normally would hold in.
I wasn't sure if the sleepy tea would be okay or not, but I talked to a nurse this morning and the said everything's fine except the overly caffeinated ones...which I can't have anyways. Sensitive to caffeine. I really like your idea of a nonalcoholic drink...the familiarity of it might feel good. Nonalcoholic wine is pretty good...my husband bought a bottle by accident once. :D
I'll have to distinguish 'don't drink out of the yohgurt cups' to the baby in later years...funny story that they'd never print in a parenting magazine: My son when he was young used to try to drink out of other people's cups. He made the mistake of grabbing mine when I got up to go to the bathroom. He took a sip, dumped it out. I told him we don't drink that, that's mommy's water! He remembered that, and still calls anything alcoholic 'mommy's water'. It's a good way to keep him out of stuff...just tell him it has mommy's water in it, and he ain't touching it.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 12 Mar 2013, 12:30

Congratulations :grin: obviously I can't offer any advice!

All I learnt (as husband) whilst my lads were growing was the old cold war advice... "duck and cover" :duck:
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Oleane
OBOD Bard

Postby Oleane » 12 Mar 2013, 15:03

C-O-N-G-R-A-T-U-L-A-T-I-O-N-S
:baby:

I don't remember specifically about mood swings while being pregnant for the fact that I could have moods swings without being one every time I had slept not enough.

I can't offer you much advice that you don't already have if you already had children...As my mother said, the first one is the hardest, with every child more it gets easier (or one has obviously to learn to cool down).

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 12 Mar 2013, 15:36

Congratulations!

I remember those mood swings well. You just gotta learn to live with them and coast through them. Hopefully your family and friends will be understanding and will offer you some leeway while you are pregnant. You will be just fine, I'm sure that things will settle down for you soon hopefully and that you continue to bloom peacefully :cloud9:

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 12 Mar 2013, 19:03

This pregnancy seems different than the first... I didn't have many mood swings with my son, I was too busy throwing up to bite at people's necks. Luckily, my stomach is doing fine, so I have plenty of time to be ornary...I've been up 45 minutes and already bit at a nurse, though I'm not so sure she didn't deserve it. I had found an herbal supplement for my son that has helped greatly in improving his energy level/attitude at school, and I needed him to write a note so my son can use it at lunch at school...he wouldn't do it. He doesn't approve of herbal supplements, he should be on 'real' meds. I'm not drugging up my 6 year old. I've been on those 'real' meds, and there's a time and place for them, but not for someone that young, when a less severe method has been proven to work. But that's America for you...everyone knows whats best for the child except the parent!
I think I'll go out and buy some sleepytime tea today...I don't think I've been sleeping well, my back's been hurting too much(I'll take that up with the doctor next week).
I'm trying my best not to take it out on my husband. He's a sweet man, and there are plenty of other people I can go after! :yay:
Thank you for all the congratulations! Much appreciated! :hug:

Return to “Druid Parenting”