Moongazey-ness

A forum for Druid parents to discuss child-rearing issues and exchange ideas
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
mistletoeoak
OBOD Druid

Moongazey-ness

Postby mistletoeoak » 25 Jun 2013, 11:03

HI All,
I am wondering if anyone else experiences with their children or themselves, moongazey-ness. What are your experiences, where can I find any info, resources and so on? My daughter is 22 months and when she was just 2 weeks old she cried and was unsettled, I went near the window and she just gazed at the moon, it happened to be a full moon. I thought no more of it, how sweet etc etc. The same happened the next month, an the next month... all other times she is settled, does not stir and sleeps through no problem. So I sort of made an effort to humour myself that when it was a full moon, let her look outside and then she will settle. The occasions I have forgotten to do this like on Sunday, she was frantic, unsettled and crying. After many hours it only then dawned on me that hang on show her the full moon! Being the super moon and warmish weather, we sat outside and she fell asleep on me after waving and blowing kisses at the moon, albeit nearly 1am in the morning.
I have heard of children being like this with a full moon but always thought it as fiction, clearly not!
I would love to hear if anyone else experiences this or any books/resources that could help
Lisa xx

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Re: Moongazey-ness

Postby Aphritha » 25 Jun 2013, 17:24

My son always enjoys/ed the moon, too. He liked looking for it out the window, and seeing if it was big or small that night. I'm sure you can find some Pagan children's books on the moon on amazon!
I noticed the moon seemed to affect my Cancerian friends more than my child as far as moods went... Could your daughter have alot of Cancer in her chart?

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 25 Jun 2013, 19:39

When she's a bit bigger, maybe you should get her this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sun-Moon-Tides- ... +and+tides

There are several other books similar.
I don't think her interest has much to do with astrology (although astrology can be a useful tool for making sense of the world) - more to do with the fact that she has been exposed to the moon when she was upset and it distracted her because it's really amazing. Now she associates the moon with stopping crying because you have trained her to by repetition. This, along with your observant parenting and the fact that children are naturally very interested in everything until (if they are unlucky) the grown ups in their lives manage to train their curiosity out of them. If you can keep it alive, then who knows what she will do with her knowledge and willingness to explore the world.

If she is interested in the moon, perhaps she will be the next great astromomer, or astronaut given the right encouragement!

mistletoeoak
OBOD Druid

Postby mistletoeoak » 25 Jun 2013, 20:56

Thank you! :yay: Hmm I have no idea about astrological charts?BUT I now someone who does so I will go armed with date and time :)
Kate what a wonderful book - it is now ordered :grin: I have only read about moongazeyness in the Stonewylde stories by Kit Berry, amazing the power of the moon.
xxx

Return to “Druid Parenting”