"Manly" Haircuts in Women Establishing Credibility

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Featherbeard

Re: "Manly" Haircuts in Women Establishing Credibility

Postby Featherbeard » 12 Nov 2008, 22:01

I apologize for nosing into the conversation (especially a bit late!), but as a side question, has anyone had issues with having a long-ish beard in the same sort of 'establishing credibility' issue? My current workplace is perfectly fine with it (A large software company), but as my contract ends at the end of January, I am once again thrust into the job-hunting world. I have an *incredibly* powerful aversion to cutting my beard, but I also don't want it to hurt my chances of finding employment! :)

-Bowser
*Tries to think of something interesting to put in said space...*

blaize

Postby blaize » 12 Nov 2008, 22:18

depends what job you want. Professors require a beard as do Philosophers and software engineers. Sales people both male and femail should not have beards its the law.

Featherbeard

Postby Featherbeard » 14 Nov 2008, 22:03

depends what job you want. Professors require a beard as do Philosophers and software engineers. Sales people both male and femail should not have beards its the law.
Awww, but I think all men look excellent in beards. :(

Jingle
OBOD Ovate

Postby Jingle » 17 Nov 2008, 18:33

Re Beards - I agree it depends upon what job you are doing, and in some cases, what reputation precedes you. When looking for a new job, my husband generally shaves and these days puts his very long hair in a tight ponytail. But once he establishes his reputation, he grows the beard and lets his hair down. In the case of his newest job, he was so highly recommended coming in, that he didn't put his hair back or shave his beard, and he was hired on the spot.

Now what will happen next year when he dyes his hair blonde for his Hallow'een costume, I'm not sure : :o :duck:
Light,

Jingle

ImageImage :ioho: :recycle:
2008 IL
2009 BS
---------------
Young and alone on a long road, Once I lost my way: Rich I felt when I found another; Man rejoices in man. ~ Hávamál
----------------
Avatar edited from http://www.hawkmountain.org - watching and protecting our magnificent birds of prey...

Featherbeard

Postby Featherbeard » 17 Nov 2008, 19:00

Re Beards - I agree it depends upon what job you are doing, and in some cases, what reputation precedes you. When looking for a new job, my husband generally shaves and these days puts his very long hair in a tight ponytail. But once he establishes his reputation, he grows the beard and lets his hair down. In the case of his newest job, he was so highly recommended coming in, that he didn't put his hair back or shave his beard, and he was hired on the spot.

Now what will happen next year when he dyes his hair blonde for his Hallow'een costume, I'm not sure : :o :duck:
I was thinking that too. I hope I get into such a good position as your husband, where I won't have to trim (It's never leaving my face!) my beard. Cutting my beard is like cutting off an appendage! :-)

Fox
OBOD Ovate

Postby Fox » 17 Feb 2009, 11:01

Hi everyone.  Something this semester sparked an interesting thought.  I have two female professors.  Both have "boy" haircuts, meaning they are cut shorter than usual, and are kept trimmed around the edges.  One of my professors is probably in her mid 30's and, quite honestly, would be drop dead gorgeous if she grew out her hair  :oops: .  My question is this: Do you think that by having a "boy" haircut, it establishes their role in a more professional way, eliminating some of the sex-appeal of being an attractive female?  It confuses me either way, because although they are both professors, they could certainly dress in clothing that is still appropriate but fits their figure much better. What do you think?
I'll bet your prof is drop dead gorgeous anyway - shame you can't see it. Who are you to say that they could dress better, in figure hugging clothing? Why? So that you can look at their bodies better? I think that the question really is - why do you think that long hair is attractive? Why do you think women should dress in a certain way? What is making you feel judgemental about someone's appearance?
Bang on! That's what I thought too, Alasdair - what are you checking out your teachers for when you should be paying attention to the lecture? Now you get your nose back in your books and your mind on your lessons and stop daydreaming about your teacher's hairstyles and clothes... :old:
yr pal, Fox

"So good luck came, and on my roof did light, like noiseless snow."
– Robert Herrick, from 'The Coming of Good Luck'

katie bridgewater

Postby katie bridgewater » 17 Feb 2009, 12:44

I've just read this whole thread for the first time and thought I'd chip in - even if I am a bit late!
I am always amazed by the crazy things people do to themselves, and the stinky chmicals they apply to their scalps to make their hair look 'nice' and I just wanted to share my experience of long hair.
I don't use anything on mine, not even soap, I just rinse it in running water when I have a shower. I have to say that since I stopped washing and cutting it some 7 or so years ago, the condition of my hair has only improved and all I do now is brush it when I need to look tidy for work (I work in a school and keep it tied back to avoid little 'visitors'...)
My hair doesn't smell, is quite shiny and the ends are in pretty good nick. Plus I spend no money and very little time on my hair!

lavouivre
OBOD Ovate

Re:

Postby lavouivre » 26 Jun 2009, 16:12

And of course the Pharaohs who shaved their hair completely. Point is, if short hair has some kind of psychological trigger that makes people who have it be taken more seriously. So, if it works for women too, then why not?
Yes but the problem is that women used to shave their heads too, and wore wigs. I think for the Egyptians it might have been a hygienic issue. Maybe with the heat, more lice? easier to cut it all? And the wig would act like a hat, protecting from the sun.

I guess it all depends on the times and geography. For some African tribes, hair woud signify something (playing with braids, colors, height..?), for Greek women in Antiquity or for women in the 19th Century, having your hair down would signify girlhood, while a bun would mean womanhood. Cut hair in the 19th C. would signify that you sold your hair to the barber to buy yourself bread, so it would be a social status showing poverty. Children in Egypt would have one braid, on the top of the head, and the rest shaved.
But women who had sexual relationships with Germans during WWII were shaved for shame and humiliation. In antiquity cutting the hair would also be a sign of deep mourning.
And today shaved hair can show sickness (chimio) too.

So we have the hygienic and practical reason, the social status, the humiliation, the sickness, the sadness... :fear:
quite a lot!

MossyMermaid
OBOD Ovate

Postby MossyMermaid » 14 Sep 2009, 23:33

Time was having a short haircut emphasised a womans modernity and freedom (think Coco Chanel)

Kernos
OBOD Druid

Postby Kernos » 15 Sep 2009, 17:53

Don't have the link, but an interesting recent study has shown than "powerful" females have significantly higher testosterone levels than women without power. Cause or effect? What is your hypothesis.

:thinking:
ImageImageImageHelp I'm Falling Thru A Hole in the Flag

"Time is the Image of Eternity."

Time is the Fire in which we burn.

MossyMermaid
OBOD Ovate

Postby MossyMermaid » 15 Sep 2009, 18:35

Effect. The environment has such a powerful effect on someone which affects how their body works. I think this can be put down to somehting similar to the fight or flight reaction. If you are "dominant" that is openly aggressive, does your lifestyle have an effect on your body?

Stress certainly has an effect

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 16 Sep 2009, 09:58

Well, I would argue "Cause" :grin:

Those of us who have more testosterone are much more prone to fighting and standing up for ourselves, a necessary thing to become successful.

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Ysbryd Blaidd

Postby Ysbryd Blaidd » 28 Jan 2010, 13:33

I thought I would reply as this is something that has effected me recently. Last weekend I had my hair cut it turn out awful, quiet short and looks like a bowl has been put round it, it was done by my sister who is doing hairdressing training, so I wasn't expecting perfection but it is very bad :grin: Anyway the earliest hairdresser appointment I could get is this Friday, and one side of me panicked, but I must admit it has been the biggest eye-opener ever! No one has been bothered at work or whilst I do my daily business, I haven't been given to many strange looks and those I have been given I have had a great sense of confidence, it was like all this time I was worried what people thought of me and now with my daft haircut I have come to understand that most people are wrapped up in their own worlds and those who arn't well it doesn't matter, I can always pretend its the latest fashion craze!

I'm glad I have had this experience, it will continue on, my hair will need a 'boy' cut which I refused to have since I was younger because of bullies, but I don't have a choice now, but I think I am finally over that hurdle! :cloud9: Bring on individuals, we will not be sheep! :yay:

MossyMermaid
OBOD Ovate

Postby MossyMermaid » 28 Jan 2010, 21:03

I am given more respect when I have short hair. If I have long hair I am spoken down to and called "love". The first few timesit happens, I wrote off as irrelevant but this is a trend.

It is perception, masculinity is given respect and femininity is admired as something pretty but weak and ephemeral. I learn to appropriate masuline behaviour, and display it.

This has nothing to do with hormones and evrything to do with power.

Duellist
OBOD Bard

Postby Duellist » 29 Jan 2010, 00:16

I suppose it depends on your situation; I knew a woman who had short hair and it actually made her seem a lot prettier and more ephemeral, but I think she played up her 'girliness' and so the short hair became part of her femininity. On the other hand, with MossyMermaid, I always felt that the short hair was part of that no-nonsense approach which is typically considered masculine.

I have to say that I think credibility is earned through actions and through demeanour, but most first impressions derive from appearance no matter how hard you try to avoid them. That is where the haircut (and a solid pair of DMs) comes in; if your first impression is 'all business', then it is easier to maintain, but carefully-coiffured locks and stiletto heels will make the same feat into an uphill struggle no matter how serious you are.
Sanity is overrated...

Frog
OBOD Druid

Postby Frog » 18 Mar 2010, 14:45

Hi there!
I don't feel depressed about this conversation at all - it reflects the very human natures that can exist within us all.

I think as Duellist has added - there is a lot more than just the haircut that makes the man (or woman). I have a number of friends who have short hair - not all are sporty type (although a few are) but there is the element of practicality that the shorter cut will provide (assuming that you do wash it)

I think it is the overall look that creates the picture - and we are a visual animal, making assumptions from what we see over almost anything else.
"Don't look to the end of the rainbow for the pot of gold; it's already under your feet"
Enjoy this life. It would be a shame if we looked forward to the next, only to find we forgot the one before.

Image ImageImage
ImageI08; 2010 BS, SB; 2011 IL; 2011 BS
ImageSpeakers Corner, 2011

My spiritual blog: http://theblackcrane.wordpress.com
Bardic Inspirations (Stories/rambles): http://frog101.wordpress.com

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 18 Mar 2010, 17:10

I just want to say I am astonished by the 6000+ views this thread has generated!

Sylph_24

Postby Sylph_24 » 11 Jun 2010, 16:28

Honestly... I keep mine long and without bangs because I can just tie it back and forget about it. Honestly, society's obsession with appearance is disgustingly shallow.
But maybe I'm just a non-makeup wearing, jeans and a t-shirt kind of gal. :D
"There's a storm heading this way. Even the weather sucks in my dreams. I feel so charmed. " - April Ryan, The Longest Journey
Image ImageImage
Please click and give my dragons some love. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sylph_24

solenn22

Postby solenn22 » 22 Sep 2010, 04:56

I have no idea if by having a boy haircut establishes their role in a more professional way. But I know that by having a boy haircut or short hairstyle is good for almost any occasion. You can go to almost all occasion having a short hair. Another advantage of the short hair is it reverses the aging process; making the face younger than it usually is.

Oneonine

Postby Oneonine » 22 Sep 2010, 20:05

I find longish hair the best of both worlds. No nonsense, time saving up-do for work. The sensuality of letting my hair down for one special person or a special occassion.

When I was job hunting, and it seemed like I had no control over a lot of things, I felt a strong temptation to shave off my hair, as if it was an act of control, a decision I could make and carry out. I realised I was getting depressed at that point, but suddenly understood Britany's shaved head episode a lot better.

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”