How do you feel about your job?

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.

How do you feel about your job?

Do you love your job?
23%
Do you like your job?
35%
Are you indifferent to your job?
18%
Do you dislike your job?
15%
Do you hate your job?
9%

Total votes: 240

day_2k

Re: How do you feel about your job?

Postby day_2k » 16 Dec 2010, 10:37

~Which one?

I am dissatisfied with my 9-5 job (Educational Technologist, i design pretty learning tools for university students to learn) but not down to the actual work, but the environment I work in, florescent lights, constant bleeping noises, having to look "right" to fit in (and not get fired), the politics, the back stabbing, the power plays..and all I ever get told is to play the game..

I do like the work I do as a freelance multimedia designer (mainly for museums and education) I am hoping to set this up as a company and leave the day to day BS of office work. However the sector has taken a huge hit from the recent government spending review and I just don’t think there are the funds in this sector to make sure I have enough work to keep me afloat.

I also teach occasionally at a university as a visiting lecturer in 3d Design and virtual worlds, this is great, I love teaching but the management and disorganisation of the place is hard to deal with.

Pscht whine whinge whine.. ! :roll:

Finally I often run ghost tours/walks/hunts around the country, this is an amazing job but after I have splashed out on the petrol to get to the place I normally only break even, so only do this when time off from my Masters allows :)

My dream has always been to one day open a bed and breakfast in Cornwall..

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 18 Dec 2010, 13:51

This is helpful for all of us, to gain an understanding of what is going on with us as a group through individual experience.

I am often impressed by other people when I take the trouble to listen to them; when they feel able to speak freely. Too much of that can get tedious, admittedly, but not listening to others enough can lead to false feelings of isolation or that other people are somehow ...not as good or a lot better than oneself. Usually each person is a bit different, thanks to uniqueness but at the same time, all humans are so familiar with what its like to be a human that there's a lot of common ground that just goes without saying...but if we forget that, it helps to to say so as a reminder of all that common ground.

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 16 May 2011, 01:06

My Job,, well for the last 8 years ,,after 20 in the military and 11 in security ,,my job now is kinda nice,,everyone is happy to see me and treats me well feeds me treats during holidays and its a early start to when ever im done job,,its just me and one or 2 other ppl on the truck,,we share the driving the deliveries and look out for each others safety,,We have few rules,,rule 1,, I will come home today,,rule 2,,I will do my best to bring my partners home to day,,rule 3,, only rules 1 and 2 apply,, I get up shower shave get dressed ,, put on my vest,,bullet resistant and my sidearm,,I get in my armored truck and deliver money to everyone that ordered it today,,if your a bad guy you will most likely shoot me in the head first off so ,,thanks,, if you miss ,,, it realy sucks to be you,,we don't have very many restrictions,,and to all that think the armored truck blocking the store or 3 parking spaces,,we are not jerks,, we want our partner in and out as fast as pos,,speed and cover and we are gone,,I'm behind 2-1/2 inches of steel and 3 inches of glass,, I cant hear a word your saying or your horn ,,Its great being the moneyman,,its the only sane break some employees get that day so they milk it and sometimes I don't mind it one bit,,I got all day to deliver the cash,,The sucky part,,sometimes the AC will stop and the temp gets to over 120 in about 5 min or the heater quits,,The worst is bank day,,its not all cash like most of you think,,, Its coin,,Hundreds of boxes of frigging coin,,100 boxes going in and 100 bags coming out,, one box of quarters is 26lb and a bag is 52,,do the math ,,I got 45 to 50 banks,,but the ladies in the vaults take pity on us with cool drinks and sweet cookies
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

rabenfrau
OBOD Bard

Postby rabenfrau » 03 Jun 2011, 19:03

I really have to say that I love my job very much.

As an little information:
I work as a lab assistant in an microbiological lab. We are a part of a company with produces antibiotics and such stuff and we had to test if they work right. Means, isolating the active ingredient, dilute it to different concentrations and put it on a culture medium together with the bacteria or fungus.
And thats only the part I do there at the moment, there is a lot more to do, e.g. testing all substances if they are contaminated with microorganisms which shouldn't be there (coli-bacteria and such things).

I love that biological and chemical stuff, my favourite subjects in school were biology and chemistry. So it's destiny and fate to work there as a lab assistant. :whistle:

Really... I didn't want to to anything else. Good, there is one thing I would do: Selling books at my own bookstore. A little dream, but for this I need a lot of money. ;)
No, it should be a dream and stay as a dream. Reading is enough. ;)

Greetings,
rabenfrau

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 27 Jan 2012, 12:57

Strongly ambivalent.

The workplace environment is fine, the people are fine, compensation and benefits are very good, and we have done very well in the current economic climate. There are some oddballs and eccentrics, and some management decisions that one doesn't agree with, but overall I am treated fairly and have progressed well.

The problem is, it's not the job I wanted to do. I started as a research scientist, and was doing well until I had a disagreement with a major figure in a public forum. Immediately after that, job offers dried up. I was looking at unemployment when I was offered this job, so I took it. I've been here 20+ years. At least I have a horizon for retirement now.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Branflakes
OBOD Ovate

Postby Branflakes » 22 Feb 2012, 02:12

I'd have to say I like my job, which I guess is surprising. I work overnights at a Super Target. Every one of my coworkers hates it there, although they don't try to do something about it. There's nowhere to be promoted to, we work our arses off every night, and are never recognized for it (try explaining to dayside what we do, and all you get is a blank stare). Our raises are nothing, we stay hours after what our schedule says. There's virtually nothing there that really holds my interest, and I'm not doing something that really captures my interest.
With that said, I kinda like it. I like the people I work with (some days are better than others), our bosses are relatable and understanding, and it's almost impossible to get fired (except if you start a fight or are caught stealing.) I don't have to deal with customers (which, IMO, is a godsend), and I'm more of a night owl, anyway. It's a pretty democratic workplace; if there's something a lot of people don't like, our complaints are heard all the way up the chain. A lot of the times, our complaints are never acted upon because of company policy, etc, but that's beside the point. and we get to listen to our iPods! lol.
I would like to work somewhere smaller and more natural, but trying to find something like that around my neck of the woods (which is to be used metaphorically . . . there are no "woods" around here :P) is almost impossible.

Scatterbat
OBOD Bard

Postby Scatterbat » 03 Jan 2013, 08:25

I'm a factory worker.Slave to a machine.People say machines are there to help us in our work,but when you kill yourself trying to keep up with the thing you soon realise it's not true.And there is always the speed freek who want it to go faster....just bacause it can(the person who's better then anyone else and likes to show off to management and has a point to prove).I'm getting older (only in my mid 40's)and am starting to find things that I used to be able to do 10 years ago a lot harder.I've started to slow down and become more thoughtful.
Sometimes I feel indifferent about it but since I have been at this place I work more and more frustrated with it. :(
Just don't seem to feel I have achived anything and certainly don't feel satisfied with what I have done at the end of the day with this particular job.
It was the first job that came my way after a very long period of unemployment.I needed work so I took it. :shrug:
For a long time now I have been wanting to go in another direction.Factory work althow needed in todays society can be rather destroying and mind numbing at times.Always felt the same about factory work.
Most of the people I work with are ok,its just the job itself.Hopeing to find something else this year but it's just the thought of having to start all over again.Had often thought of going my own way and start a little shop or something but the time just does not seem right to me somehow and finance is a little tight at the moment.Work pays minimum wage so there is not much hope of getting much funds or saving towards going my own way anytime soon.
I would like to have taken off certain days last year,but had to miss all 8 of them and work it.Ended up being forced to do overtime on the winter solstice which I felt very uncomfortable with as it seemed to be a big time of change . :-(
Certainly don't feel the same about the company after missing the solstice.
Fingers crossed for something better this year. :whistle:

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 13 Jan 2013, 05:57

Fingers crossed for something better this year. :whistle:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too...the job sounds soul numbing. :( Good luck!

My opinion on my job depends on what you'd say my job is. I worked in a group home for ten years, holding a regular shift. It was good the first few years, but it got really depressing as time went by, watching clients get sick and slowly fade away. By the time I went on call early last year, I was more than ready for it. I loved the people I worked with, staff and clients, but I hated the field. It wasn't something I ever meant to get into, it was just the first place that called when I needed work. Now that I'm on call, I work one day a week. I like this much better. I can appreciate the good aspects of the job without being bogged down by the negative.
I went on call to become a homemaker. This is a job I really love. It sounds easy, but its not. The time management can be hard. Its easy to lose yourself in something and waste the day away. Sounds harmless, but it makes you feel bad, and makes the family none too happy. Its been about a year now, and I feel I've gotten alot better. I enjoy watching the progress I've made and the skills I've gained. Its something I really feel good about.

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 13 Jan 2013, 09:15

I own my own company, I do something I'm quite good at, enjoy it on a day to day basis well enough, yet I'm in essence indifferent to it. It's just a way to make money to survive, while helping others, but in the end, for myself, I'd rather move somewhere secluded and just live a fully selfsufficient live on my own. I'm quite done with modern society. Lately, I've decided to conciously take in less work, be more selective of my clients, and spent the time gleaned that way on homesteading on my 1/4 of an acre.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 13 Jan 2013, 12:34

I like the way you say that a homemaker is a job Apritha , it IS a complete job in its own right and should be recognised as such.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 13 Jan 2013, 15:43

I like the way you say that a homemaker is a job Apritha , it IS a complete job in its own right and should be recognised as such.
Thank you. :) I remember my first week at it...I was so sore! All the furniture moving, rearranging, squating to clean in areas I didn't acknowledge existed before. And then when the garden was planted...I never knew how good of exercise it could be! It was hard work, but it makes one feel good.
I'd rather move somewhere secluded and just live a fully selfsufficient live on my own. I'm quite done with modern society.
This would be nice...

deepwater

Postby deepwater » 14 Jan 2013, 01:48

shadowcat,,i sent you a sidebar,,and think this is just as good,, i too have decided its time i limited my time with the rest of the others,,my work job will be ending soon and i will not be rich by any meens but happy for the time alone ,,well my wife and dogs will be here but they are as much a part of me as is my arm,,im setting aside some room in my 2 acres for any that wish to come and maybe camp or just enjoy the firepit one day at a time ,,all are welcome ,,contact me for details
Through my eyes you still see,, Through my heart you still live ,, For as long as i have breath you will sing,,Thanks Mom

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 15 Jan 2013, 08:11

Hey Deepwater, I replied in a pm...

It's great that you are opening your place like that, I hope you will find a match for your own energy in the people that will come, stay or journey through. I once stayed on the premises of an old castle in france, the folks there also run a natural camping for people seeking solitude, visions, retreats, with respect to all believes and persuations. Everyone leaves feeling furthered in his of her life and guests interact in a special way with eachother, the grounds and the owners. It's very valuable.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Paladorys
OBOD Bard

Postby Paladorys » 10 Jan 2014, 19:20

I work as an AA in a big Agricultural publication in the US. Monsanto is one of our largest clients, to give you an idea of our audience of farmers.

I love the people I work with, I hate the clientele and am starting to mildly dislike the farmers who are our target audience. I told my husband last night "I feel like a Mangrove tree". Trying to flourish and grow in something that should kill me, and managing the best I can surrounded by a yawn-fest of characters.... (I mean really how interesting would a catfish really be if you were to have a conversation with one?)

I would love to do something else, I just have no idea WHAT that might be. I don't feel that the work I do effects the right changes in the world, nor does it particularly excite me spiritually, emotionally, or intellectually. But it pays the bills rather well.

I suppose that at some point the correct path for me will be illuminated, as for now I'll just continue to bumble around in the mud.

TaintedxxBright

Postby TaintedxxBright » 09 Mar 2014, 13:32

I really like my job. I work customer service in a call centre which is something I have done my whole life. Lots of customer service jobs and many call centres. But the place I work now is by far the best. They put a lot of time and effort into training you and making you feel comfortable in your skills to do your work. The job is great because I like to help people and I am a very positive person. Everyone here is very happy and positive. The BEST working environment I have been in ever. :yay:
I am this tainted, brighter shade...
of screams that sing, through clarity's ring.
The pieces, broken, were all....transfixed.

TristessaKC

Postby TristessaKC » 25 Mar 2014, 21:39

I just got a job a couple days ago :grin:

I'll be a hostess at a country club. So far so good. I went in today to fill out paperwork and I start training tomorrow. She kept looking at my pentacle necklace...but was very very friendly and seemed excited that I was so excited to work there.

She wasn't too thrilled that my hair has a purplish hue to it and thank goodness I didn't get another tattoo cause I wanted to get one on my arm and they don't allow visible tattoos or piercings (I also took out my tongue ring and industrial in my ear...miss them both...*sigh*)

Anyway, I don't make it a point to talk about my religion around employers because it usually sparks a debate. Especially since I'm in a very baptist region. When I lived in Michigan it was very...how do I put it..."bible belt?" I went to the store one day was was wearing a shirt that said druid on it and a pentacle necklace and the checkout girl was a grace baptist (I knew this cause she was wearing a cross and a skirt, they aren't allowed to wear pants) and she cocked her head at me and said " I don't know about you." I just rolled my eyes and threw my money at her and walked out not bothering with the change. I never understood how if God is so accepting why can't you accept other people's religious views, sexual orientation or whatever. You are born a sinner...just never made sense to me.
Life is not about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain

Reuils
OBOD Bard

Postby Reuils » 26 Mar 2014, 12:08

Originally I loved my job ,I was a physiotherapist. Latterly like Kernos (page1) the health service politics took over and instead of being a clinical therapist who managed a service ,I became a clinician, who became a manager and shuffled paper and attended meetings.
Happily I am now retired,now this a job I was born for !! We( husband & I) moved to live in a new country,learnt a new language,made new friends. Have caught up with the crafts I always wanted to do when I worked and found Druidry, something for which I have been searching all my adult life.

Rayne
OBOD Bard
Location: Next to a sugar cane field by Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Postby Rayne » 27 Mar 2014, 16:26

The actual job....what I do...I enjoy. Paralegal/IT Techie. However, my boss is the poster child for both the "Peter Principle" and "PEBKAC". (problem exists between keyboard and chair).

Neevàn
OBOD Bard

Postby Neevàn » 27 Jun 2014, 12:57

I like my job pretty well. I work at a fabric and crafts store; the people I work with are amazing and sweet people, and I sometimes really get to help someone with their creative project. Sometimes. Other times the customers feel like a grind. I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned in this environment, but I'm not exactly what it is, or I'm having trouble learning it well enough to feel more satisfied with my work even when the customers are demanding, awkward, and rude. I continue to try.
In the meantime I'm still attempting to build up my career. Quite different from my job. I'm married, and my husband is steadily employeed as a public school teacher. This doesn't shower us with money, but it is a rich career for him and it does give me certain freedoms. I don't have to pull a full time job, for instance. And better yet, if my career starts to give back any dividends at all I can quit the retail work and become a full time novelist.
In the meantime, I continue to try to find my balance in the craft store, appreciate it properly, and not get too worn out or ground down.

Valerie S.
^_^

Greytrack
OBOD Bard

Postby Greytrack » 19 Oct 2014, 11:06

Hi,

I thought this was an interesting thread and decided to add my two cents!

I'm a care worker working in a dementia unit. Now, I don't very often admit that because, as we all know, care workers are evil abusers who only get the job in order to wreak havoc on the old and frail. :???: In my place of work, the boot is very much on the other foot. We are a poorly paid (I defy anyone to live on 13K a year), we are pushed to our limits workwise because we're understaffed and yes, we get all sorts of verbal and physical abuse from the residents (and their families on occasion). The management is unapproachable and chaotic - the manager is coasting to retirement and the deputy is chaos on legs. My work is also a round trip of of 50 miles from where I live and there is no help with travel/petrol expenses.

Why do I do it? Because I have no choice. I live on an island where there is no industry and the tourist trade dries up in the winter. I need a year round, permanent job and this is as good as it gets.

So, that's how I feel about my particular job - I only wish I could have been more positive for my first contribution. Sorry. :-(

The upside (yes, there is one!) is that I live in probably one of the most beautiful parts of the world and my journey to work, although long, takes me through spectacular scenery and plenty of wildlife - the deer are particularly bouncy at the moment :)
Greytrack
Not all those who wander are lost.

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”