How do you feel about your job?

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.

Do you love your job?
23%
Do you like your job?
35%
Are you indifferent to your job?
18%
Do you dislike your job?
15%
Do you hate your job?
9%

Total votes: 240

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 31 Mar 2007, 00:13

I'm just curious as to whether we love or hate our current jobs.  And if we aren't happy, what our hopes are, and what we are doing to change our employment situation for the better.  What would your ideal job be?  Are you working toward it?  What are you getting out of your current job?  How is it leading to better future for you?  How does it fit in with your spiritual practices?
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Postby scopulus » 31 Mar 2007, 02:31

Let me say, I had to cheat on the poll because unemployed is not listed. ;)
I based myself on my previous job, which ended about a month and half ago. I really hated it.
I had to sell electricity and gaz to people, claiming the compagny I represented was the cheapest of our land... Since I worked in other compagnies too, and found a site which calculated the cheapest compagnies, I knew I had to lie to those people.
That caused (with many other factions) a depression. I cannot say it is entirely on this job, but it had to something to do with it.

On top of it all, they fired me after 1 week illness.. and it is perfectly legal too.. even if it wasn't I wouldn't mind hehehe.
That however, is why I clicked that I hated my job.

Warmest regards,
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

Edelgran
OBOD Bard

Re: How do you feel about your job?

Postby Edelgran » 31 Mar 2007, 20:13

I dislike my job at this time, because it requires good physical health, and mine is waning. I work with small children who require alot of lifting and help dressing, etc. Just try dressing 4 2 year olds in snow clothes and boots in 15 minutes flat, :dance:  and see how bushed you get! So I must either cut back or find another job soon. An ideal job would be something requiring less lift and bend. Not having any clerical training is a drawback. Retraining is not fun at my age. :old:   I will have to make adjustments soon. Excellant questions!

Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Postby Garan Gwyn » 31 Mar 2007, 20:43

I was torn as to which choice to make.  I had to choose "dislike" because I hated what my job had become for the past couple of years, but I recently obtained a promotion and soon (I hope!) I will be able to move away from the parts that I dislike so much into the new position, which I believe I will enjoy.

My former position involved constant public contact and interruptions, and having developed some cognitive dysfunction along with my fibromyalgia and low-grade chronic fatigue, was nearly more than I could handle any more.  My new position seems to be still evolving as we are preparing to move to a brand new campus and job duties and descriptions are in flux.

The reason I stay where I am is that I have great benefits and now that I am self-supporting, I can't afford to lose that.  Also, having been with the college for nearly 8 years, I am pretty well tenured in that they would have a hard time getting rid of me!  Also, my schedule, fortunately, is somewhat flexible, which works with my often rocky mornings getting up and around.

I've not yet had to pull the disability card and ask for reasonable accommodation, and I am trying to avoid that until it's an absolute necessity.  Everyone is overworked in my environment, as the system is such that we don't get funding for new positions until we are stretched to the breaking point (which we always are).  But such is the life of non-profit organizations, I guess.

Before this I worked in the health industry for a durable medical equipment company, and while I loved the actual work I was doing, the environment was terrible.  I think it had a lot to do with a publicly-owned company trying to turn a big profit for its stockholders based on other people's illness and misfortunes.  It often put the employees in unsavory positions.

GG
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

"I know that I am one with beauty
And that my comrades are one.
Let our souls be mountains,
Let our spirits be stars,
Let our hearts be worlds."

-From Ansel Adams, An Autobiography
-A mantra of Gaelic origin given to Adams by Ella Young

Image Image :pan: :Cymru:

Crowsfeet
OBOD Bard

Postby Crowsfeet » 31 Mar 2007, 20:57

I like my job, but often I am interrupted too much, have too many phone calls, and put under too much stress so that I go home exhausted both physically and emotionally.  Also, I deal with people having problems mostly or they wouldn't be in the office in the first place.  I don't always have sympathy with some of them as they have broken the law and are criminals, but I always try to put on a good act as my job requires me.  So, I am looking forward to retirement.  There is so much I want to do if I have the energy, which I currently seldom have.

Ellyn

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Postby scopulus » 01 Apr 2007, 00:23

I just have to bring this up.. seems to me I am the only male so far who replied. Does this mean that men are more happily with thier job then women? Just a thought ;)
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

Garan Gwyn
OBOD Ovate

Postby Garan Gwyn » 01 Apr 2007, 02:51

Scopulus wrote:
I just have to bring this up.. seems to me I am the only male so far who replied. Does this mean that men are more happily with thier job then women? Just a thought
I'm not sure about that...maybe it is just that women are more than willing to complain about it!   :grin:  

Or maybe it is that men feel generally unsatisfied but are less in touch with ther feelings so as to figure out what it really is that is bothering them.  I know many men who have not liked their jobs but they felt stuck...so they saw no point in complaining about it and just accepted it.  I've also known men and women both who did something about it.  I am always open to the opportunity to do something I feel is more fulfilling and less stressful, just in case it ever finds me.

GG
Garan Gwyn
Druid of Llwyn Swynedig
/|\

"I know that I am one with beauty
And that my comrades are one.
Let our souls be mountains,
Let our spirits be stars,
Let our hearts be worlds."

-From Ansel Adams, An Autobiography
-A mantra of Gaelic origin given to Adams by Ella Young

Image Image :pan: :Cymru:

padraiginana

Postby padraiginana » 01 Apr 2007, 06:29

I absolutely LOVE my job!   :yay:

I am an oboist, and teach private music lessons...it is, by far, the best job I could ever imagine.

I teach all ages (youngest is 6, oldest is well past retirement), and I get to perform (as a freelance oboist) with a huge variety of incredible and diverse creative talent.

It isn't easy, of course...I am still building my studio, which takes a REALLY long time.  And, in order to get enough work but still afford housing, I have to spend 4 days in upstate New York and 3 days in New Jersey (a 6 hour drive) every week.

I certainly cannot complain though...I get to travel, perform, and teach in an ideal setting.  

There is something wonderful about going to bed utterly exhausted...and happy to know that you have the priviledge of doing the same thing again the next day!

:cloud9:

Ghostrider
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghostrider » 01 Apr 2007, 07:56

I love my job too!!

It has many various sides to it, of which planning is my favourite!
Amazing buzz to get the worlds biggest container-vessels safely loaded.

I know it's not very Druidic, but it's just an awesome sight to see 398 meters of steel being jam-packed with all kinds of goodies, without breaking apart, being trimmed to the best of our ability ( thus making sure less fuel is needed! ).
The same aplies to the same 398 meters of steels being serviced by 5 to 7 118-tons Gantry-cranes....

Sure.. not all of em are 398 meters, but the other ships we service are still impressive!

Oh... and I'm a Marine Planner at a container-terminal, if you haven't guessed allready!

On the Druidic side....  :grin: , it's also great planning a vessel, sitting at the top-level of the control-tower and watching over the North-Sea. Espescially since we have a lot of seagulls often sitting next to the window, almost as though they're checking if you're doing your job properly ( after all.. it's THEIR habitat you're sending those vessels on! ).

Last year we had some of em nesting there aswell and it looks as though more will do so this year! ( poor window-washers.. LOL.. they're not allowed to do their job until after the nesting-season, so we'll prolly have dirty windows again! ).
"I don't suffer from INSANITY!! I enjoy every minute of it!"

R0wdy Atomic WEDGIE-master

2007 SBImage
Finder of lost Message board Souls of the Most Holy (or not) Order of Slightly Reformed Non-Visigoth Circus Performers

Woodfox
OBOD Druid

Postby Woodfox » 01 Apr 2007, 09:42

I'm indifferent about my job.  I have more than one though.  My official contracted job is as a cleaner in the evenings for an office building - being new to a country, one has to start at the bottom again!  I don't mind it.  It's not inspiring or anything, but it's not stressful and not hard.  My last job (in my old country) was as a banker and that was incredibly stressful and I absolutely hated it (when they changed the rules on me - at first I loved it).  

Before getting pregnant, I was also working on the bank as a nursing assistant on the mental ward for elderly care, and I absolutely loved that!  I plan on going back to that once my maternity leave is over, but in the meantime, the cleaning job is the one that pays the bills and is safe for me to do while pregnant (with the NA job is not!).   I actually can't wait to get back to doing the NA job.

Debbi
Blessings,
Woodfox
Image ImageImage

Angsana
OBOD Bard

Postby Angsana » 01 Apr 2007, 10:01

I love my job, but I do not love the politics nor do I love the many ways in which other people dilute or compromise what remains a noble profession to me. So, saying I love my job does not mean I do not have miserable days. In fact, in part because I take my profession very seriously, I find myself getting very unhappy especially w/ regards to unprofessional/unprincipled/unethical attitudes. Also, some days, all I want to do is walk out of the building, cast all my troubles aside and just sit under a tree somewhere, reading. Because I can't do this, I photograph trees during stolen moments, like lunchbreaks.

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 01 Apr 2007, 14:18

Now that I'm Retired I love my "job"! I'm not the average though, since I work part time, self employed, at something that fascinates me. I have a part time practice as a Hypnotherapist, and for the most part, really enjoy working with my clients. I'm not sure I should vote in this poll. I set my own hours, don't work every day, etc., and don't absolutely need to work.

When I actually had a real job I disliked it, at times hated it, but stayed because I was well paid and had excellent benefits - one of which is the pension they pay me not to work! :grin:

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 01 Apr 2007, 15:47

I've been a Civil Service secretary for about 35 years, assigned to diffrent departments, so I've run the gamut from love to hate, depending on where I'm working.  Right now, I'm a police clerk working in a tiny district police station.  It's the best job I've had, and I intend to stay until I retire in 9 years.  It's very intense and thrilling to work around cops, as well as hysterically funny.  As a writer, it's a perfect place for me to get outrageous material!  The positive side of being a secretary is that you can work in any environment, so you can change jobs often with the same set of skills.  (I've worked for the AIDS Office in the Health Department, the Mental Health Department, and the Recreation and Parks Department.) The negative side is that a secretary is always a servant, never the master, and the skills used are usually routine and boring, seldom creative.  

My perfect job would be one that uses my most precious skill - writing.  I would have loved to have been a professional writer, and I still haven't given up hope!
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Postby Silverleaf_Willow » 01 Apr 2007, 16:51

I love my job!
I work in a nursery...tress, shrubbery and perennials all day!
Part of my job involves selecting which plants are sent on customer orders (and part of my job is getting them to the truck dock).  My day is long and busy, all the fresh-air (no covered greenhouses here) and exercise (better than a gym as I spend most of my time loading plants = hours of weight-lifting) and tractor driving a person could ever want.
I live in a tiny apartment surrounded by paving.....if I didn't spend my whole work day in the energy of growing plants and trees, I think I'd go crazy.

Days I only like my job...when it snows heavy or rains hard on us!
Once the bushes leaf out fully, I'll get a picture of a silverleaf willow so I can put up my avatar!

It took a lot of jobs that I did not like and a lot of moves to get to where I am now.  There may come a day when I can't physically do my job and need to find something else, but for now...I am happy to get out of bed in the morning to go to work and I sleep well at night!

-Silverleaf- :treehug1:

wynyfryd
OBOD Bard

Postby wynyfryd » 01 Apr 2007, 18:26

I love my job. I love the goal of it - conservation software engineer. I don't always like the stress, but it feels like a good stress. I was in Aerospace for a very long time and this is still different enough that I'm in a honeymoon. :)
Wynyfryd<BR>

mellifluous
OBOD Bard

Postby mellifluous » 01 Apr 2007, 22:05

I am a MUM!

I LOVE MY JOB!

We are also Farmers and while some see farming as a non eco or non green way to live...  I disagree.  We live apart of the seasonal cycles, our children see the spirals constantly around , within and apart of them.

I could not ask for anything better...

* smiles *
“Nature has no tree so foolish that it's branches fight amongst themselves.”

Native American wisdom saying

mellifluous
OBOD Bard

Postby mellifluous » 01 Apr 2007, 22:11

also looks like we have wicked jobs!
“Nature has no tree so foolish that it's branches fight amongst themselves.”

Native American wisdom saying

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 02 Apr 2007, 10:17

I love my job as I meet lots of different people including parents, children and students.  I am left alone to get on with my job and I have sole charge of it and can bring in subtle druidic influences such as lots of plants etc.  I have recently got a new boss, younger than me but she is absolutely lovely.  She is making my job even more interesting.  Best of all though, is I retire in 3 years!

BB

Shirley
ALL THAT WE ARE IS THE RESULT OF WHAT WE HAVE THOUGHT

Aurora
OBOD Bard

Postby Aurora » 04 Apr 2007, 10:31

I don't like my job! It's very stressful both physically and emotionally, i constantly see people at their worst.

I have gone back to school and am in the process of learning to become a librarian, I'm enjoying the course alot and in the end i'll get to work with books and still be able to help people   :D
ImageImage

Wisdom begins in wonder-Socrates

Kernos
OBOD Druid

Postby Kernos » 04 Apr 2007, 15:45

I put dislike, cause I dont like using the word 'hate', but it is a strong dislike.

One would think being a physician would be fulfilling. It used to be. But the government, lawyers and corporations have totally ruined medicine for me.

I spend 60+% of my time involved with bureaucratic bullshyte. I am only working not so I can afford health insurance. 4 more years till I get Medicare - if I live so long.

:caduceus:
ImageImageImageHelp I'm Falling Thru A Hole in the Flag

"Time is the Image of Eternity."

Time is the Fire in which we burn.

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”