How do you feel about your job?

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.

How do you feel about your job?

Do you love your job?
23%
Do you like your job?
35%
Are you indifferent to your job?
18%
Do you dislike your job?
15%
Do you hate your job?
9%

Total votes: 240

Merlin Stargazer
OBOD Bard

Re: How do you feel about your job?

Postby Merlin Stargazer » 19 Sep 2007, 08:34

I love my current job :) (IT servicedesk)

learning a lot, helping people with their little problems, it's fun :)

we always get a few laughs everyday
"But we were dragons. We were supposed to be cruel, cunning, heartless, and terrible.
But this much I can tell you ape, we never burned and tortured and ripped one another apart and called it morality."
- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

chadly

Postby chadly » 19 Sep 2007, 23:01

I hate my job.... because I don't have one :(

Shandara
OBOD Bard

Postby Shandara » 20 Sep 2007, 02:36

I absolutely love my job.. and I can still say that even though the last two weeks have been very stressful. I'm an cost accountant - I work for a company that makes medical devises. I know.. I know - I'm one of those evil business people.. but really from top to bottom the people I work with are terrific!!

I also work evenings as a massage theraptist - which I also love doing so I think I have the best of both worlds.. I get my steady reliable paycheck so I don't have to worry about paying the bills but I also get to do something a bit more spiritual on the side.
ImageImage

karin_68

Postby karin_68 » 02 Oct 2007, 16:18

I like my job. although, I have to solve all the things no one wants to do, this job and company has enough positive points to hang to. (And I am here already a bit more than 5 years, an absolute record for me!)
I am office manager for a environmental consultancy company. So, also, ... I do like the fact that when I have questions about certain environmental issues, ... I can ask my colleagues some explanation.

Faolan
OBOD Bard

Postby Faolan » 04 Jan 2008, 18:27

I am indifferent to my job. I am an Assistant Systems Administrator for a Mapping/Survey/Engineering firm in Maine. My work mainly consists of keeping all the computer hardware and software working so other folks can do their jobs. Most days it involves installing some little piece of software that "we gotta have to get this project out tonight." That they should have figured into the project at the beginning but did not.

I work with a very fundie Christian man who keeps a bible by his computer and does not understand how I can make it through life and be so "content" when I do not believe in a Christian God. (his words).

Since I have started the Bardic grade I've added a few items to my area, specifically the little Druidry poster that comes in the Introductory packet. I also have a few Tibetan Prayer Flags hanging up, so I make no secret of the fact that I do not follow a Christian path, but no one asks about it either.

My big issue with working here is a few of the big clients we have, we do all of the civil engineering work in the State for one of the national big box companies. We also do work for a national company that wants to build a huge Resort and Housing sub-division on one of the most beautiful lakes in Maine in an area that is still pretty much unspoiled. They are being fought by Natural Resource Council of which I am a member.

I've thought about working elsewhere but there is not alot of call for my job skills in this area and we also own a farm where we raise horses so moving is not an option.
Faolan /|\

~~~
If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day,
he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer.
But if he spends his days as a speculator,
shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time,
he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.
-Thoreau

SidheAingeal
OBOD Bard

Postby SidheAingeal » 05 Jan 2008, 10:42

I chose "I like my job," simply because this is a new job, started this year, so I've only been in it a week. So far I enjoy it and it very close to my dream job, but as I don't really know it very well yet, I thught it better to not jump the gun and say I love it yet!

I hated my previous job. The people I worked with were nice and i made friends with some lovely people but the job itself was soul-destroying.
/|\ Sidhe

tannos
OBOD Ovate

Postby tannos » 06 Jan 2008, 16:38

I love my job too...although I dont get much work...Im a freelance translator so I can incorporate my religion easily...
"[Barbara] Do you know who I really hate at the moment?
[Tom] Me?
[Barbara] No, more than you.
[Tom] Who?
[Barbara] That Mother Nature woman. She has a holiday all winter, comes back and bang, wallop goes raving mad!"(The good life series 3 episode 1)

Vinter

Postby Vinter » 31 Jan 2008, 03:51

I'm unemployed and ill at the moment, but I did as others have done before me and based my answer on my previous job at a lumber mill which I really liked! (Not very appropriate for druids, I know...) I can't say that I loved it, because it was hard work and the exact same thing done each day, but I thought it was very nice and quite calming too actually.. But it busted my shoulder and my doctor wouldn't let me go back there... So here I am soon to be three months later, no job and my shoulder still hasn't recovered even the slightest. At least I still get a decent paycheck though..

Saule
OBOD Bard

Postby Saule » 15 Feb 2008, 19:17

I chose indifferent to my job. Mostly because though my job is not terrible, its also not my dream job (though I don't know what that is exactly, not yet anyway). It keeps my brain going most days which I value but I work here simply to pay the bills. Days like today make me like it less. Its beautiful outside right now I mean a one day early spring, but here I sit in front of a computer. The sun will be going down by the time I leave and with it the temperature. So though its not terrible as a job, if I didn't need the money I'd definitely not be here.

Tuar_Ceatha

Postby Tuar_Ceatha » 17 Feb 2008, 06:25

I love what I do for a living. I wish I could find a job. The poll doesn't leave any room for the between-jobs crowd.

Tuar Ceatha

Duellist
OBOD Bard

Postby Duellist » 17 Feb 2008, 13:44

I would love my job, as a computer-game designer, but the long hours and tight deadlines take it out of you after a while. I like the story-telling opportunities it gives me, the chance to drag someone else into my world without having to be there.
Sanity is overrated...

Aelfarh
OBOD Bard

Postby Aelfarh » 17 Feb 2008, 14:40

I'm a mechanical engineer, I work for an EPC company (well, actually I'm in a year break now, doing a MSc)
but I love my work. It's what I study for, it's very tought provoking, and most of the time challenging.

How ever, I'm seriously thinking in finding a different one, Why? well mostly because the company I work for is mostly involved in the petroleum industry, and I'll love to work for a company that works in green techonologies, specially alternative ways (or combined ones) of power generation. But, there are not plenty jobs on that :-(
Bennacht Dé ocus ainDé fort!
(The blessings of the gods and the non-gods upon you!)

http://al-tirnanog.blogspot.com/
http://www.losceltas.org

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no
idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to
comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos"

Image Speaker's Corner February 2009

Cercatore
OBOD Bard

Postby Cercatore » 13 Jan 2009, 19:04

I'm a mechanical and electrical engineer by training, and I'm currently working on a telecommunications contract. I currently drive 2 hours each way to work, and since my company works for the government, there's a lot of powerpoint engineering and bs, and not a whole lot of design/engineering work. It wouldn't be to bad all in all, except that we have an archaic telecommuting policy in my division. The people who work in our technical support call center, and spend all day answering phones and talking with clients, can work from home once every other week. The engineers, who rarely interact with anyone, cannot. The real kicker is that I could probably maintain my current standard of living working 20 hours a week at minimum wage, if I tapped into some of my investments, but I believe that that would be poor stewardship of what I've been given, so I keep slaving away at a very weird little rat race. I did decide that I'm going to get out this year though. I'm currently working to open a gym in my hometown, in the hopes that I can go from doing desk work, to doing something that will help me stay in shape, have more energy to devote to my family, and let me teach other people how to lead healthy lifestyles.
Image2012ImageMay truth guide, love protect, and hope encourage you until the end of time.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 13 Jan 2009, 20:15

I love my job too...I'm a social worker and my "crew" works in a paper recycling facility. I always feel good about the way I spent my time at the end of the day...and I have a computer with facebook and DHP for breaktime!
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 13 Jan 2009, 23:05

I love my job.

I'm a mom and an intuitive counsellor working from home.

It doesn't bring in much money, though, but I've chosen to live a simple life to compensate for that, and I've ended up being just as wealthy and even happier than the friends of mine that it would be natural to compare myself with. My husband work full time as a paramedic.

Illion
:paw:

crystall_child
OBOD Druid

Postby crystall_child » 14 Jan 2009, 09:25

I like my job. I am a tutor/teaching assistant at a unit educating pregnant teenagers and young mums, and also vulnerable young people aged 14-16 that don't cope in the mainstream education system. We only have 10 students at the moment and I feel as if the work I do makes a difference to these young people although my dream job would be in alternative therapy.
I believe in god, but I spell it NATURE

ImageImageImage ImageImageImage

Paghnar
OBOD Bard

Postby Paghnar » 15 Jan 2009, 14:05

I'm indifferent to my job. I'm a social worker and I really like helping people. The Problem is that currently I'm working on a project with permanently unemployed persons that don't want any help. The only thing why most of them come to me is because the state would shhorten their welfare if they wouldn't. Now try to help someone who doesn't want to be helped ... So that's the bad part of the job. The good part is, that some people do want help and if I can help them its really satisfying.

Donald
OBOD Ovate

Postby Donald » 21 Jan 2009, 01:01

I'd have to say at this point, I hate my job. I'm a Network Engineer for a public school system, and have been for about 10 years. It's not that I hate the work, I'm just bored with it, and begrudge all the time I spend either at work, or keeping updated on technologies and certifications. For the past 4 years I'm been seriously planning on leaving the wage slave life and spend the rest of my days living simple with my gardens and what little bit of livestock I need. (I've been working on the gardens for several years.) This is easier said than done, with others concerned and outside obligations. However, now things are coming into place, and I figure only another year or two before I've tied up all the loose ends, and take the plunge. Shrug off the materialistic world, and live for something that gives a deeper, lasting satisfaction. Pipe dream? Maybe. But I know I'll regret it for the rest of my days if I don't try it.
/|\
Donald

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." - Henry David Thoreau

"I tolerate this century but I don't enjoy it." - Doctor Who

Ioho-Ruis-Duir
OBOD Ovate

Postby Ioho-Ruis-Duir » 01 Feb 2009, 07:12

Hi all

Although this discussion has been going for a while; I would like to add my experience. It is funny my last job initially I loved but it turned out to be a night mare. My job commitment and job satisfaction was linked to goal achievement and value alignment. At the start I had all of them. Then there was some drift. This drift was cased by Change of direction of the organisation and some unethical behaviour from my boss or this could have been imbedded in the culture. Come to think of this the last three jobs there was drift too. The old social contract that my grandfather had is not there any more. It does not do very much for stability and planning ones life.

So I am in between jobs with two degrees that are useless to me because they see them on the resume and the recruiters run a million miles. Some times I have to leave one off. The MBA.

In answer to what am I doing about it. This was also stimulated by my studies of the bardic grade. I am trying to be creative and take advantage of this opportunity (I am being positive) to align what I do next with my spiritual practice but it is harder than I thought as my qualifications and experience are not general enough to make that transition (they like to put people in boxes) may be another degree may be an option however my wife is not happy about the situation we are in and wont except any thing less than what I was doing before.

Just back to when I left my job it was a year in the making savings were planned for so there would not be any disruption of life style. But, two weeks after I left my job what happens, the world goes in to recession.

That was my bit

See you

Barry
Formerly known as barryjohn

Romelia
OBOD Bard

Postby Romelia » 01 Feb 2009, 21:00

So I am in between jobs with two degrees that are useless to me because they see them on the resume and the recruiters run a million miles. Some times I have to leave one off. The MBA.
I found that happens too! If I produce a cv that looks plain and basic, and remove my degrees, I get more interviews! I came to the conclusion a while ago that my employers like to feel more intelligent than the staff! Todays working environment isn’t about how bright you are or how amazing your cv is.....they just want someone to control, who wont debate their actions, works without complaint (or opinion) and can use Microsoft office for them (as they have no idea how to use it!). If you do happen to have an opinion and are more educated than the boss, life can be difficult..... :oops:

Heres a link that is a good chuckle!
http://idler.co.uk/category/crap-jobs/

Romelia
“Millennium hand and shrimp”
http://solitary---romy.blogspot.com/

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”