Do your workmates know of your beliefs?

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: Do your workmates know of your beliefs?

Postby DaRC » 11 Sep 2014, 12:17

Is this a US phenomenon? I'm in Canada and my experience is that asking about someone's religious beliefs would be akin to asking what their favourite sexual position is...
I'm pretty sure it is - over in the UK (and from what I've gleaned from European co-workers is that the UK is not unusual) it's very much like Canada. I suspect the sexual position question would be better received than a religious question.

Michael - chin up, you are obviously a man after Thoreau's heart :shake:
“If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.”
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 12 Sep 2014, 23:45

Is this a US phenomenon? I'm in Canada and my experience is that asking about someone's religious beliefs would be akin to asking what their favourite sexual position is...you'd want to make darn sure you were pretty intimate with the person in the next cubicle or you might be dealing with a harassment complaint.
Now that you mention it...
When I look back at the place I worked, I can acknowledge it was pretty open. Really open. It was a group home for the handicapped. My sister was hired on eventually and was told at her interview "working here, you're going to hear alot about bowel movements. Both those of the clients and the staff..." Nothing was off the table there. I've thought about it before, and I feel due to the depressing nature of the job, we ended up melding and becoming friends. When you're in hopeless situations, you often try to see the humor in things...even if its poop jokes. You also take yourself a little less seriously, which may be why it was alright to discuss religion OR favorite sexual positions.
My husband has a different situation at his job...you're expected to be Christian. If you're not, and aren't willing to pretend you are, your hours will be cut. We attend a UU church, but he's gotta lie about it. He's had members from our church come in and he always has to say "please don't tell the boss where I go, I'll get canned.."

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 13 Sep 2014, 05:29

Sweden is similar to Canada in more ways that north-south geographical population distribution and climate, apparently. Religion definitely falls in the "none of anyone elses business" category.
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 15 Sep 2014, 21:59

Sounds like your husband needs to leave his job (and possibly the country) too. :) Tell him he has my sympathy....... a lot of sympathy.
He's been working on it...the job, that is. He is able to find other work, but nothing that pays well enough...:(
I'd LOVE to leave the country. If only it was as easy as picking up and moving, right?

ennys
OBOD Bard

Postby ennys » 16 Sep 2014, 17:53

Here in the UK people talk ,ore about religion than in France where I lived before (where it falls in the same personal category as your sex life), but at my workplace it really isn't an issue. Then, I have the luck to be in academia, where everbody is really open-minded about things...
Dancing to the music of the Web
Etre ar mor hag an neñv hag an douar

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 19 Sep 2014, 15:18

I generally stay quiet,but if you went on my FB page its pretty obvious. Especially as their are pics of me at Stonehenge fighting as the HollyKing.

Greytrack
OBOD Bard

Postby Greytrack » 18 Apr 2015, 11:47

I stay quiet as I work in a Church-owned nursing home. Everyone there is a form of Christian from Roman Catholic to Free Presbetarians (who are a whole other ball game!). I am, as far as I know, the only person there who is genuinly interested in what people believe and why without getting my knickers in a twist about it! Some of the discussions that I've had - especially with the FP's can be soul destroying. But, hey ho, the job (sort of) pays the bills. :D
Greytrack
Not all those who wander are lost.

sarahd

Postby sarahd » 11 Jun 2015, 02:09

I don't think so. I'm very new, but I'm wondering if just the spirit of Christmas, Yule, and so on, matters more than the technical verbage. Also, I feel like druids are relaxed and groovy. That's why I'm here. No one yells at me when I use a wrong word!

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 11 Jun 2015, 03:17

I don't think so. I'm very new, but I'm wondering if just the spirit of Christmas, Yule, and so on, matters more than the technical verbage. Also, I feel like druids are relaxed and groovy. That's why I'm here. No one yells at me when I use a wrong word!
:applause:

Pathrison

Postby Pathrison » 24 Jun 2015, 20:12

I think most of the people in my "office" would suspect. But then our admin lass is wicken, we have a methodist minister, a coptic christian, a buddist and three jedi's (they take it very very seriously). I suppose work is the safest place for me to talk about my beliefs openly.

Sofi
OBOD Bard

Postby Sofi » 10 Aug 2015, 16:26

I think most of the people in my "office" would suspect. But then our admin lass is wicken, we have a methodist minister, a coptic christian, a buddist and three jedi's (they take it very very seriously). I suppose work is the safest place for me to talk about my beliefs openly.
That sounds like a cool place to work.
Fed up with the capitalists :grin:

Fil.F.

Postby Fil.F. » 11 Aug 2015, 07:18

"And there we go on"...

When I was in trainee at a state corporation on my country I had studied something about alchemy and magic, and I was surprised by my boss when I’m searching the theme online. All the group of work knew about. And I hear some words of disdain and laughers. Today I get conclude the great opus with a production of 1kg of pure gold, actually all people on my homeland knows about. Much of them like my boss, that don’t had believed before and others are trying to execute the same.
This was a tragedy on my life, some reaches of my city are so stupid, and the government and secret societies like free masonry are persecuting me until this date. I was much traumatized with my personal history that I stop at this quantity, keeping for charity. My deception was biggest than when my old Wicca group do not accept the alchemy, however they were founded in cabalism, their posture against alchemy and metals I can’t understand. After that, I knew a Celtic Reconstructionist group, I keep secret of these things and again I have the same problem, the priest of the group believe that metals are artificial as plastic wearing arguments of pollution and nature degradation by metal’s furniture and carbon emission. At this point I understand him, just by the fact that some alchemy emblems show operations at natural locales, I respect his interpretation for someone whom nothing knows about transmutations. But the seasonal rituals also do carbon emission and high level temperatures by fire at nature places and metals general are encountered at the earth’s bosom. However, I never do this at nature, always at home like a hobby, just keeping care about the contact with water.

All government servers and politicians tried to accuse me of impost debts by gold operations, but they didn’t knew nothing about laws, actually the gold financial active receive an exception, and its tax is paid just at the first selling.

The alchemy weel of the year is similarly to the greek year, begin at spring when the sun stay on the zodiacal house of Aries with a lot of pagan beliefs and practices, when in my country is autumn. Unfortunately, without these chemical practices the tragedy on my life could be bigger than… I never imagine the countrymen and government so hostile like that, or the world. I read something similarly about the extraction of “yellow cake” by australian natives and too some conflicts exist there. And also about armed conflicts because the exploration and trade of cattle gallstone or calculus bovis around the world.

Vera Lucia

Postby Vera Lucia » 19 Aug 2015, 19:40

I live and work in a very small town. When i first moved here i was wearing a pentagram and was stopped by a pagan client that quickly told me to put "that" away. Since then i made a pentagram that fits in a locket. Im a private person anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I tell people im spiritual. It's rural "God country" and here it seems to be enough of an answer.

samurai
OBOD Ovate

Postby samurai » 24 Aug 2015, 09:31

Very few know. The union leader does as he is a pagan, and a couple of others know, but 99 % don't. Even though there are enough clues on facebook. I don't like pushing my beliefs on anyone, as there are enough groups of religion doing the hard sell.

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 24 Aug 2015, 13:32

A select few of my coworkers know, including one of Americas leading atheists :o , and they are generally cool with it.

I have decided, as I have the standing and seniority and am close to retiring, not to worry about people at work finding out about my beliefs. It is a very diverse workplace with all of the major religions having significant presences, and we hold some very large government contracts that give all of us strong federal protections.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

MoonPryderi
OBOD Bard

Postby MoonPryderi » 26 Aug 2015, 01:43

I dont think its really necessary to announce it. If asked I am happy to say. I was asked my religion at a recent hospital appointment and when i said Druid the nurse thought i was joking and laughed :) I laughed with her and then said ''no, seriously, I am a Druid''. She apologised and I said 'no problem, there are quite a few of us about you know'' :)
Moon Pryderi

"Words have the power to both destroy and heal. When words are both true and kind, they can change our world .... Buddha"

https://dreamingpath.wordpress.com

2017Image

LoonyLuna
OBOD Ovate

Postby LoonyLuna » 28 Aug 2015, 21:36

I'm self employed and have been for a number of years now, so I haven't had to deal with telling colleagues about my faith. Though in general I tend not to talk about my religion; a few friends know but only because that has come up in conversation and it turned out they are pagan themselves or leaning that way. Other than my children, my family don't know, they might suspect but have never asked. Like others my fb probably gives me away :)
I feel that religion and faith is a private and highly personal matter, and who is anyone else to judge what others believe in (as long as it doesn't hurt or interfere with others, it is no-one else's business).
:)
ImageImage

Geordon
OBOD Bard

Postby Geordon » 01 Sep 2015, 06:50

I was asked my religion at a recent hospital appointment and when i said Druid the nurse thought i was joking and laughed :) I laughed with her and then said ''no, seriously, I am a Druid''.
Oh, I can imagine the look on her face when you said, "No, seriously" as one of shock and dismay. I wonder what the intake nurse would have said the last time I was in, had I said I was a Druid rather than a Buddhist.

kytty
OBOD Bard

Postby kytty » 27 Nov 2015, 01:43

all who I work with and for know who and what I stand for.
I care not in the least what they or anyone else thinks as it is only one mans opinion. ( of which they are rightly entitled to) :shrug:
What I am and stand for - and practicing that as best I can - is what is important to me.
spirits of trees
live within us all

there is as much variation within a breed
as there is between them.

2007 SB [img]http://druidry.org/board/dhp/images/smi ... 08.gif[img]

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 28 Nov 2015, 16:03

What is belief?

The notion of some static monolith known as 'belief' is laughable in the face of secular materialism and general relativity. What I believe necessarily needs to be an ongoing, fluid reflection and discussion, within myself and with others. My question is rooted in humanity's internal thirst to uncover an elusive societal 'Good', with the right human action that personal choice should be founded on.

What do I believe? Who cares!

The deeper question is what is TRUTH? And what is the difference between a 'must do' and an ought?
I guess we have scientific method to prove “truth” but there’s a whole barn full of stuff that I believe that won’t ever be proved in this epoch’s imaginings. Still, it works for me. :shake: :grin:

…to the OP's question though, I have strong ethics that I will calmly share with anyone if there is a possibility that there may be a conflict. My belief system though, well, as some have already observed, it’s not really the ‘done thing’ to discuss such with colleagues or clients. Quietly living it enhances my life and work - I would rather that the positivity of my actions were noticed than my ritual shenanigans. The few times it has arisen in a social context, I have just said that, “It’s a bit like Hinduism but with an ancient British origin.”
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”