Following Your Path At Work

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Re: Following Your Path At Work

Postby Menevengiel » 04 Aug 2013, 19:40

LOL!!! GREAT experience and thanks so much for sharing! I always suspected that paganism raised less "back o' the neck hairs" in the U.K. than here in the States.

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 04 Aug 2013, 20:30

LOL!!! GREAT experience and thanks so much for sharing! I always suspected that paganism raised less "back o' the neck hairs" in the U.K. than here in the States.

Yes, I understand that is the case, but why?

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 04 Aug 2013, 21:51

I could be full of it, but I think it has to do with society here being founded on religion. Our colonies seemed to start out with religion as law, and we weren't too kind to anyone differing from this(including those who were here first!)
Also, we(settlers) didn't hold onto the culture of the land too well, rather erased it as we went along, 'improving' :roll: In my experience, its hard to get a feel for what the land was like originally, as many of the native tribes have died out or changed culture. The Europeans that came over here seemed to be pretty intolerant from the begining! However, I'm no historian, and these are only my guesses.
As to the differing tolerances of the north and south, its beyond me. Any takes?

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 05 Aug 2013, 11:42

I believe Aphritha has nailed it down pretty well. "Freedom of Religion" here in the states should more correctly have been stated as "Freedom for THEM to practice THIER religion." Any other religion was not tolerated and clearly, in their "humble" opinion, the ONLY reasons others did not cleave to THIER religion was because (a) those others were brute savages, and (b) Anyone not yet practicing (notice the YET) simply was not doing so because they had not been PLACED on the right path (by force if necessary).

Northerners like to think they are MUCH more tolerant than the South and MUCH more up to date, modern, and open minded. Allow me to disabuse anyone of that notion.

I lived up in New York for over 30 years. In that time I listened to the ridicule of those practicing witchcraft ("Oh my here comes the Wicked Witch of the West. Let's take her shoe shopping shall we?"), saw ONE (yes ONE) bi-racial married couple, and witnessed a GLBT community that was SO underground that the clubs couldn't be FOUND unless you knew someone who knew someone who knew which back of what warehouse... you get the picture.

I moved down south a little over 10 years ago. They ARE literally scared of witchcraft here and the reaction to my Earth based lifestyle (I don't call what I am/do a religion, it is my life) was first one of disbelief and "horror". They got over it in less than 6 months and come to me now regularly to ask what herbs would help for this or that, what essential oils might alleviate something, and how to best plant (or when) something they've never tried before. I had seen more bi-racial families here in 1 year than in the entire 30 up north. WAY more (and this HERE was one of the last hold outs on slavery and then equal rights!) The LGBT group I am a part of AND Southern Pride group hold their meetings in a local CHURCH. And announce it to the community. And have their Pride events openly. Out of doors. Where children can see. (I know... *gasp*!!)

So... don't let northerners tell you that THEY are more tolerant of differences. Plymouth Rock is still the landing place of stiffly intolerant religious zealots, still up north, and still no more flexible than... say... a rock.

(/soapbox rant)

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 05 Aug 2013, 12:48

Thank you both for clearing that up...it sounds like a bit of a nightmare, to say the least. Good to see that there are trailblazers for tolerance out there though. Every little bit of nudging helps the situation

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 05 Aug 2013, 14:50

Thank you both for clearing that up...it sounds like a bit of a nightmare, to say the least. Good to see that there are trailblazers for tolerance out there though. Every little bit of nudging helps the situation
I agree completely with Menevengiel; often it just takes actually meeting someone who is XYZ that you have always thought was frightening before, and realising that what you imagined they did, isn't what they do at all. It's definitely up North as well, and my extended family are a prime example of that :-(

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 05 Aug 2013, 14:54

LOL as they say be careful what you wish for. Intolerance is peeve of mine. It's not even a "pet peeve" anymore, it's rather more like the elephant in the living room. I scream "elephant!!" when I see one. It's nice to see that the rest of the world is both more tolerant AND curious enough to ask nicely what goes on here. I see a lot of "America basing" going on overseas as well. We all have our warts so nobody should point fingers I think.

@Ghyslaine - You know I never stopped to wonder how it was in Canada. Down here (not just south USA but middle and even some of the north) Canada is seen as tolerant of a lot more diversity, better to it's citizens on a public scale (as in governmental programs and standards), and LESS likely to get their noses out of joint over other country's goings-on. Is that the case?

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 05 Aug 2013, 15:12

@Ghyslaine - You know I never stopped to wonder how it was in Canada. Down here (not just south USA but middle and even some of the north) Canada is seen as tolerant of a lot more diversity, better to it's citizens on a public scale (as in governmental programs and standards), and LESS likely to get their noses out of joint over other country's goings-on. Is that the case?
So far as I have seen, yes. When I mention my family in the North, I do mean in the US, as that's where I was born. I've lived in Nova Scotia for about four years now, and in the city folks are very open-minded (seeming). There is a largish pagan community who do a lot of public rituals, and we are also a hub for the LGBT community. That's not to say there's no hatred or violence, but it seems people can be very open here, without much fear of retaliation. We are also the capital for Shambhala Buddhism, and a lot of Buddhists moved here with their leader at the time when he relocated here. So there's a big mix :) Being a predominantly Celtic influenced society, there's a lot of understanding around Celtic-influenced religions, spiritualities or practises.

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 05 Aug 2013, 16:04

OK now color me jealous *sigh*

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 05 Aug 2013, 18:29

"Freedom of Religion" here in the states should more correctly have been stated as "Freedom for THEM to practice THIER religion."
Haha, freedom to be Baptist, Presbyterian, Methodist...they call that diversity!
Northerners like to think they are MUCH more tolerant than the South and MUCH more up to date, modern, and open minded. Allow me to disabuse anyone of that notion.
My husband's said much of the same against this; I believe him. Here in Iowa, i feel we're technologiclly behind(and I'm fine with this). He says there's little racism in the south, (at least where he's been), but you get alot from small midwestern towns. Our city is a thankful exception, being as we have no dominant race. No use to be racist...there's just too many people to dislike, and you wouldn't get anything done! Much the same with homosexuality...its so common, there's no use making a stink about it.
As to tolerance on an everyday basis, I find northerners to be much more grumpy! We have absolutely no community attitude, though the extremity of this varies state to state, city to city. There are pockets of nice places...just gotta know where to look.
I think the biggest north/south debate we had was the pop/soda thing...my husband was in awe when he saw a sign advertising "pop"...
I've always heard wonderful things about Canada, too...my husband wants to move there, but changing countries seems damn near impossible to us poor uneducated folks(funny, I don't feel uneducated...). Its just as well, I suppose. I don't think I could tolerate the cooler temperatures. If its not over 70, I've got a coat on.

naturewalker

Postby naturewalker » 07 Jan 2014, 03:21

I have a small fountain and a bonsai tree (albeit artificial, but the sentiment is there!) at my desk. I also carry a hematite stone in my pocket to help keep me grounded. A few of my co-workers know my spiritual path, and fortunately, they are fairly open-minded. I am always happy to share and inform friends who inquire about my spirituality, and so far, when I explain it to them, they're okay with it.

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”