Following Your Path At Work

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
ShadowWeaver

Re: Following Your Path At Work

Postby ShadowWeaver » 09 Jul 2012, 19:47

I was also in retail as my last bit of gainful employment. I kept a malachite stone in the sole register. When co-workers would ask, I told them, "It's green. Maybe it will attract some money to our drawer." They thought I was funny, but no one was upset by it.

At the end of the night, as I was cleaning up, I'd "clean up" the energy from the day and think happy thoughts to refill it with good vibes so we could start fresh the next day.

Oddly enough, as soon as I stopped doing these things, I lost that job. I'm not saying that those things kept my employment secure. I think that when I stopped seeing that employment as something sacred (meeting tons of new people and helping them acquire something they want or need is definitely sacred in my book), it was time for the job and me to part ways.

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 07 Aug 2012, 20:39

I am finding some things easier at work.

I leave the house just after 6:00 am and I'm lucky to get home by 5:00 pm. After meeting my domestic obligations, I have very little time to myself.

Even in my temporary accommodations, I can listen to Gwersi (I listen to each CD every morning for a week), and catch up on Druidcast without being interrupted.

Apart from the pile of pale blue cardboard CD sleeves there is nothing obviously Druid in my workspace, but once I am repatriated to my actual office with a real closing door, I will set up a small sacred space.
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Postby Skogsvandrare » 08 Aug 2012, 08:08

I am an upper secondary teacher. Here in Sweden one does not talk about religion (http://satwcomic.com/the-easy-way), so no one cares unless you force it on them. And being a Migrant Education Worker (i.e. not permanent staff) I definitely do not want to be known as the wierd one.

But I teach, and I try to make sure that I teach ecology and "whole earth thinking" (this is even in the curriculum, so I'm supposed to do that *anyway*. When given a chance I also try to teach them to *think*, not just think. But that is *also* pretty much part of what I'm supposed to be doing anyway.
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

Crinia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Crinia » 10 Aug 2012, 09:52

I am the luckiest person in the world I have two great part time jobs.

At one I pick flowers and listen to Druidcast, music and gwers lessons. At the other I work with animals as a farm hand. Mucking out sheds is a great time to meditate and hugging animals is a great time to soak up love a give some back in return. One thing about working with animals you have to be true to yourself - they can sense fake immediately.

Off to work in the morning - I can't believe they pay me to enjoy myself!

Crinia
Gun Toiseach - Gun Crioch

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 10 Aug 2012, 15:09

Those do sound like fine jobs! What great opportunities! :D

LadyKatlinel
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyKatlinel » 30 Jul 2013, 22:53

My current main job is as a corrections nurse, and I never know which one of about six different positions I'll be filling until I arrive for a shift. For safety reasons I don't share personal information of any sort at work when inmates are around. They have great memories and many of them are exceedingly dangerous. (I regularly work with serial killers, amongst other inmates) I do carry a piece of preseli bluestone in my pocket and have a small custom made electrum triskele that I sometimes wear on a breakaway chain, but otherwise I play things close to the vest (or robe?) at work. One inmate did spot my celtic knot and thistle flower wedding band and ask if I was an Odinist. LOL. I wouldn't confirm or deny anything so the rest of the shift he kept suggesting other religions, and yes, he did come up with Druid. :old: I still wouldn't confirm anything though. I don't want any of them trying to track me down when they get out, especially since most of them are pretty well unhinged. In general, most jewelry is out at work. Dangly earrings can be ripped out of your ears and necklaces can be used to strangle you.

The biggest thing that I carry with me into that workplace is my calm demeanor and ability to be patient and de-escalate aggressive inmates. I often get comments from other staff about how they are amazed at how patient I am with the more obnoxious inmates. I don't let them walk over me, but I also don't feed their bad behaviour and the calm I exude does tend to calm them down.
Eternal student of life
Druid of the Bardic grade

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 30 Jul 2013, 23:32

Goodness, LadyKatlinel, that sounds harrowing. Rather, it would be for me as I don't think I'd have your resolve.

LadyKatlinel
OBOD Bard

Postby LadyKatlinel » 31 Jul 2013, 00:00

I will say that it is never boring. I'm used to the environment so it generally doesn't bother me, but you can never let your guard down. What makes me happy is when some of them get released, they don't come back. It is a very small percentage of them, but every one that learns to value their freedom and stay out of jail/prison is a win in my book. I've taught many inmates self hypnosis techniques to help them with anxiety disorders and panic attacks whilst incarcerated too. I keep it very simple and general and it has been well received because it is effective and they have plenty of time on their hands to practice the skill. I simply describe it as creating a special safe place inside their mind--a place that will always be there where they can feel safe and relax.
Eternal student of life
Druid of the Bardic grade

Willowen
OBOD Bard

Postby Willowen » 31 Jul 2013, 02:56

I will say that it is never boring. I'm used to the environment so it generally doesn't bother me, but you can never let your guard down. What makes me happy is when some of them get released, they don't come back. It is a very small percentage of them, but every one that learns to value their freedom and stay out of jail/prison is a win in my book. I've taught many inmates self hypnosis techniques to help them with anxiety disorders and panic attacks whilst incarcerated too. I keep it very simple and general and it has been well received because it is effective and they have plenty of time on their hands to practice the skill. I simply describe it as creating a special safe place inside their mind--a place that will always be there where they can feel safe and relax.
What a wonderful way to spread light into a very dark place. You are truly making a difference in the world. I am quite impressed by your efforts to help others and your wisdom.
Bright Blessings to you
"The Way itself is a strengthening of spirit, a growing closer to the balance that governs the world. Progress is slow along the Way, but every step of the journey is like a note in the oldest tune of all. When you have the tune complete, you complete yourself." from Moonheart by Charles De Lint

Whitemane
OBOD Bard

Postby Whitemane » 31 Jul 2013, 16:07

Good one Michael! :yay:
May the long time sun shine upon you,
All love surround you,
And the pure light within you,
Guide your way on.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 31 Jul 2013, 16:14

That's great! I wonder what kind of aura the place will have now, and I wonder if others will notice it. :)

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 31 Jul 2013, 16:43

Hats off :) I am glad that there are still some who hopefully never have to go back.

And my multi-quote didn't seem to want to work: that's great, Michael!

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 02 Aug 2013, 13:52

I am rather fortunate that my workplace is my home (I run a home Daycare). My faith was something I kept well under wraps for the first few years (I live in the bible belt and people are not at all educated here about Paganism) due to my fears on how it would be received. Up north where people are said to be more tolerant, I was mocked (not a hardship really but it hurt) by even those that I cared about, from time to time, but not punished. Down here people get UGLY if you do not follow Christ. Around the time my ex walked away, however, I felt I was done hiding and if I was going to "start over" as folks around me said I should, I was going to show ALL of my facets. Slowly I brought out those things that were symbolic, and allowed people to witness in one way or another, my different holiday practices... and then I met my life-partner (I'd say husband but it's so much more complex than that) and when the time was right, we had our handfasting. Since these people had been a part of my life for YEARS, I invited them all, and those that hadn't noticed a change in my habits (I guess I was a little more "openly pagan" than I thought LOL) were curious and interested as well as delighted. Those that were "in the know" were over the moon that they would get to attend their firs pagan ceremony. It was a WONDERFUL night (not just because it was our handfasting, but also because of how much FUN everyone had!), and since then, though I respectfully honor and reinforce the children's Christian faith for their sake, I am open about my own belief and practices, and they are all quite fascinated. I am even protected by some who had initially been detractors (one neighbor went so far as to knock on doors and INFORM people I was a non-believer and "how could they not be upset!?" - she is now one of my most affectionate neighbours and has repeatedly thanked me for being there for her son). It's so cool to have a parent (when they are chit chatting during pick up time) yelp at their kid who has strayed from the outdoor play area and approached my Circle; "Hey! NOT there! Leave that be it's SACRED!!" I had helpers this year too, preparing our Lughnasadh feast. HUGE fans of corn bread and deviled eggs LOL. VERY willing to lend a hand or tastebuds to make sure everything was just right. I am even considering inviting a couple to one or more of our feasts if they are interested, to help spread understanding in our community.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 02 Aug 2013, 15:19

I. My faith was something I kept well under wraps for the first few years (I live in the bible belt and people are not at all educated here about Paganism) due to my fears on how it would be received. Up north where people are said to be more tolerant, I was mocked (not a hardship really but it hurt) by even those that I cared about, from time to time, but not punished. Down here people get UGLY if you do not follow Christ.
I've heard this...my husband is from the south(8 of those years were in Georgia), and when he moved to Iowa, he let slip that he wasn't Christian at work. He came home so stressed out, afraid he was going to be beat up or fired... I told him people might not be overly pleased, but no one's going to do anything like that over it! I've always been quite open, and while I might get people who don't like it, I've never been harmed for my faith. Its a curious thing how much other's belief systems can mean to a stranger...
However, I'm glad you've made such a positive situation about your religion being accepted. Its great to know that people are becoming more aware!

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 02 Aug 2013, 22:43

It's so cool to have a parent (when they are chit chatting during pick up time) yelp at their kid who has strayed from the outdoor play area and approached my Circle; "Hey! NOT there! Leave that be it's SACRED!!" I had helpers this year too, preparing our Lughnasadh feast. HUGE fans of corn bread and deviled eggs LOL. VERY willing to lend a hand or tastebuds to make sure everything was just right. I am even considering inviting a couple to one or more of our feasts if they are interested, to help spread understanding in our community.
That's so nice to hear; the South can indeed be an interesting place for those who aren't Christian. I lived for a long period in Virginia, and I don't think some folks who live outside of these areas realise to what an extent communities can just assume you're a believer and get uncomfortable when you're not.

Menevengiel
OBOD Bard

Postby Menevengiel » 03 Aug 2013, 20:42

I've heard this...my husband is from the south(8 of those years were in Georgia), and when he moved to Iowa, he let slip that he wasn't Christian at work. He came home so stressed out, afraid he was going to be beat up or fired... I told him people might not be overly pleased, but no one's going to do anything like that over it! I've always been quite open, and while I might get people who don't like it, I've never been harmed for my faith. Its a curious thing how much other's belief systems can mean to a stranger...
However, I'm glad you've made such a positive situation about your religion being accepted. Its great to know that people are becoming more aware!
I can imagine your husband's panic. I was completely stressed out when the neighbor was going to others to try and drum up some hate against me. Some people are still a little leery of it but even those have become respectful. It IS strange how so many people think they have some sort of SAY or that their judgment of your particular path is required. Especially those of the faith in which , "Judge not, that ye be not judged." comes into play.
That's so nice to hear; the South can indeed be an interesting place for those who aren't Christian. I lived for a long period in Virginia, and I don't think some folks who live outside of these areas realise to what an extent communities can just assume you're a believer and get uncomfortable when you're not.
I know that I for one had NO idea how much more uptight people here would be. I felt (as I toured around looking for the right property), that with all of the signs everywhere and all the churches with all the OPEN professions of faith, that FAITH was a thing welcomed here. Nope... not so much. Not unless it's the SAME faith. Still, it could be SO much worse.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 03 Aug 2013, 21:55

with all of the signs everywhere and all the churches with all the OPEN professions of faith, that FAITH was a thing welcomed here.
Its always struck me as odd how hostile people can become over beliefs of what name to call God/dess(or whether or not there is one). And its something that isn't usually relevant to a person's relationships, or shouldn't logically be. (I think the question of mashed potatoes or baked potatoes would come up more often...)
Iowa has a quiet snobbery when it comes to religion. It won't come to physical harm usually, but there is nowhere for anyone of Pagan faiths to meet, and any attempts at making these are usually pretty discouraged. To say you are of one of these faiths usually gets you alot of ridicule, unless you're well prepared for the discussion that's about to take place(I've gotten good at them! :D )I am pleased to see the Muslims are starting to stick their necks out and take their place in the community, however. Can't let the Christians think they run this place! We all gotta share! :)

Gwion

Postby Gwion » 04 Aug 2013, 10:25

On a lighter note and not directly related to the workplace:
Not being very social, I’ve only ever been to one pagan moot. It takes place in a village of about 2000 inhabitants in the Southwest of England and there was to be a talk by a cryptozoologist that I wanted to hear. I knew the moot was held monthly in one of the two village pubs and I turned up that evening to find the bar contained just the landlord, landlady, a couple of “locals” who looked as though they’d called in on the way home from farm work – and a couple of Labrador retriever dogs asleep. There was no sign of the meeting but I knew the pub had a back room so I asked, rather obliquely, “Is there a meeting on here tonight?” The reply came from the older of the two farm labourers “Oh, you’ll want the pagans in the back room.” I stopped in the bar for a few minutes for a chat with them all as my pint was poured. “We knew as soon as you came in that would be what you wanted” they said. When I looked a bit puzzled they said, “All the blokes in there have beards”. I showed them my sandals just to complete the identification process and went in to join a very friendly moot.

It did strike me how very accepting the pub and the locals seemed to be and how lucky I am to live in an area where even the less cosmopolitan population are so open minded.

:D
"Had I lived I might have been clever" - from the traditional ballad "The Bonny Bunch of Roses"
Some songs https://soundcloud.com/gwionssongs https://soundcloud.com/sthomason-1
Some Pictures http://gwion01.deviantart.com/

Ghyslaine
OBOD Bard

Postby Ghyslaine » 04 Aug 2013, 12:18

On a lighter note and not directly related to the workplace:
Not being very social, I’ve only ever been to one pagan moot. It takes place in a village of about 2000 inhabitants in the Southwest of England and there was to be a talk by a cryptozoologist that I wanted to hear. I knew the moot was held monthly in one of the two village pubs and I turned up that evening to find the bar contained just the landlord, landlady, a couple of “locals” who looked as though they’d called in on the way home from farm work – and a couple of Labrador retriever dogs asleep. There was no sign of the meeting but I knew the pub had a back room so I asked, rather obliquely, “Is there a meeting on here tonight?” The reply came from the older of the two farm labourers “Oh, you’ll want the pagans in the back room.” I stopped in the bar for a few minutes for a chat with them all as my pint was poured. “We knew as soon as you came in that would be what you wanted” they said. When I looked a bit puzzled they said, “All the blokes in there have beards”. I showed them my sandals just to complete the identification process and went in to join a very friendly moot.

It did strike me how very accepting the pub and the locals seemed to be and how lucky I am to live in an area where even the less cosmopolitan population are so open minded.

:D
:D I love Devon (if indeed that's where it was). My experiences of paganism in England have always been very positive and open.

Aphritha
OBOD Bard

Postby Aphritha » 04 Aug 2013, 15:47

“We knew as soon as you came in that would be what you wanted” they said. When I looked a bit puzzled they said, “All the blokes in there have beards”. I showed them my sandals just to complete the identification process and went in to join a very friendly moot.
Haha! I love this "identification process"...

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”