Following Your Path At Work

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
ShadowWeaver

Following Your Path At Work

Postby ShadowWeaver » 06 Feb 2011, 16:23

I am interested in learning how others incorporate their personal beliefs with their jobs/careers. Physical examples might be carrying stones or herbs in a pocket; making an unobtrusive mini-altar on a desk; even the view one takes of one's job.

For instance, I am a substitute teacher in the U.S, so a permanent location isn't possible for me. I carry hematite for grounding around all that teenage energy as well as a rose quartz to enhance my compassion. I try to see the students as the Goddess and God in their impetuous maiden and youth roles. During our daily "moment of silence," I ground and center for the day. During the Pledge of Allegiance (I reside in the U.S.), I omit the phrase, "under God," or I merely place the letter "s" at the end, so it fits my path a bit more.

I know there are many spiritual routes to take on the Druid path, and my example illustrates my own brand of Neo-Paganism.

Please share!

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Re: Following Your Path At Work

Postby Lily » 06 Feb 2011, 16:37

I used to have a tiny "altar" at my previous job but now my desk is sort of free-standing so I'm afraid stuff might drop to the floor, but maybe I should have it again. It was a japanese coaster with a fish (which would obviously be pointed to the west :-)) and a nice pebble.

Other than that I do not feel the need for anything overt, just try to manage stress and generally unpleasant stuff with a druidly attitude. If the topic of religion comes up I'll front my agnostic stance and be quiet about the pagan aspect of it.
I am a scientist and people would probably stop taking me very seriously :duck: - you know, I get pissed off at other religions' (shan't point any fingers right now) proselytizing. So, although I'd love the freedom of being taken just as seriously if I talked about it, I don't think anyone needs to be recruited to paganism and therefore I don't talk about it. One of my former bosses guessed and as a friend, I told him in the end. Then again he was similarly inclined.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 06 Feb 2011, 16:57

Well, I was at an OBOD Winter Assembly and a work colleague was there too :-)

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 06 Feb 2011, 16:59

Well, I was at an OBOD Winter Assembly and a work colleague was there too :-)
so did you know or was it a coincidence? What does one say in such a case :shrug: :huh: ?
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 06 Feb 2011, 17:29

It was a coincidence, although we had worked in the same department together I had moved onto a different one. I had made no secret of my Pagan leanings and a few of us had an interest in tarot, I Ching etc. She recommended a medium/I Ching reader to me, but our OBOD membership had not cropped up in conversation as we both started the gwers after I had left.
I was walking down Glasters High St on the Friday night and saw her with 2 other local OBODs but thought I'd made a mistake, thinking I was seeing things (well c'mon this is Glastonbury!). She'd seen me and thought the same.We actually walked past each other in the street. It was the next day that we met during the Assembly and a huge case of Oh My Gawd :D

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 06 Feb 2011, 19:43

I usually wear stone pendant necklaces to work. I do talk about my druidry freely to a couple of people. Two intellectuals, one interested in Martial Arts and the other interested in Messianic Judaism. Both are open minded.

Another fellow who is from Romania also engages in interesting conversation with me and we talk about historical/mythical topics.

I work at a GE Lighting Systems plant that makes HID and LED outdoor lighting fixtures.
James E Parton
Bardic Course Graduate - Ovate Student
New Order of Druids

" We all cry tears, we all bleed red "_Ronnie Dunn

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/
http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
http://www.burningman.com/

Donagh MacBran
OBOD Druid

Postby Donagh MacBran » 07 Feb 2011, 00:30

Hi,

Some of my teammates know I am a druid. (or a pagan in genaral)

As far as I know I can express my path on my desk if I want to. So I did :) I can express my path at work and there is even a prayer/meditation room.
Happy Druiding :),

Donagh MacBran

Druid Donagh

Nicholaas

Postby Nicholaas » 07 Feb 2011, 03:27

As with Lily, for me it's pretty much a mental exercise. I don't wear any outward signs of my druid-leanings, as I'm not really open about that stuff. Thus, I have no altar or anything of the like - not even at home, really. I've never found the need for one. Following my "path" - whatever it may be - has always been more centered on thought and action, the abstracts or principles I carry in my head and act upon. That's not to say there is no room for ritual of some kind: as I experience it, druidry is in no small part about living a fuller, more richer life - and part of that, for me, has to do with taking care of my body. So I exercise regularly, watch what I eat, and the like. At work, I take regular 10-minute stretch breaks where I walk around, limber up, bang out some push-ups and squats, and generally get the blood flowing, the joints moving, and the muscles working. This not only helps keep my body sharp, but my mind as well, and subsequently my mood and helps me maintain that "druid" outlook and attitude.

Like in nature, it's all connected. :)
"Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe. Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you. Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature. From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return."
-Marcus Aurelius

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 07 Feb 2011, 10:35

I really don't want everyone else coming up to me and pushing their faith as I work with some pretty conservative Christians and less than moderate Muslims. So as not to set a precedent I keep myself to myself and encourage everyone else to do likewise.

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 07 Feb 2011, 12:13

Bob,

Generally I agree with you. I have just found a couple of unusually open minded people.
James E Parton
New Order of Druids

Argenta

Postby Argenta » 07 Feb 2011, 13:38

I tend to see my work as (a part of) my path. I am a teacher of English as a foreign language, and passing on the knowledge of it, the culture it belongs to, and the wonder of its literature is in itself an expression of my beliefs. I don't feel the need for any other type of overt signs, except, perhaps, that I open the windows a bit more often than the average teacher :-) and point out to my students what kind of weather it is... and they know I love the sun.
I am not young enough to know everything. (O.W.)

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 07 Feb 2011, 14:37

Sorry Hawthorn_Ent, when I said that I "encourage everyone else to do likewise" I meant in my office, not generally. If you work somewhere you can discuss these things without sparking off a crusade-jihad then I envy you!

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 07 Feb 2011, 15:42

Here's a beautiful example: one of my colleague's daughter is studying to become translator and interpreter. When year before last our chosen chief came to Germany, she volunteered to interpret for him the whole weekend and enjoyed herself immensely with the druid crowd. So when required to submit a paper on something of the "culture of Britain", she chose Druids, using philipp's words and input from me (and her British father) and the OBOD webiste .. she got an A for it and the teacher quizzed her quite curiously and in a very positive spirit.

So by now most of my colleagues know about me and the Druid path and I find it rather easy to talk about here in Germany, where Druids have a positive image. And no, nobody knows that my religion is Wicca.. that is definitely too :warm: a topic for on-the-job conversation.

And they know to come and get me when a wasp needs rescuing or a plant is sickly,

Serpentia
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Huathe

Postby Huathe » 07 Feb 2011, 17:12

Sorry Hawthorn_Ent, when I said that I "encourage everyone else to do likewise" I meant in my office, not generally. If you work somewhere you can discuss these things without sparking off a crusade-jihad then I envy you!
That is ok Badger Bob. At work I am very careful who I tell. They are some people there who would think I am really weird if they found out.
James E Parton
New Order of Druids

DarcArchona

Postby DarcArchona » 08 Feb 2011, 05:13

Yeah, I work in a Federal Government office, obviously as a Federal Employee, here in the U.S.A. state of Texas. Sort of hard to be out about religion unless you are loudly proclaiming your Christianity. It's not so much that I don't know other Pagan's in my office, there are several of us who have very odd discussions, but once it's out in the open it is very obvious that most people ostracize those that are out.

I'm not necessarily quiet about it, but that is only when I'm asked about it or it's brought up in conversation. Most people just brush it off like I'm talking non-sense and that I believe what they do but I want to get a rise out of them. Hard to contradict them otherwise due to my sarcastic brand of humor, however it is always sad to see such smart people limited by being close-minded about others' faiths.

So as a Druid living in the 'bible belt' of the USA is hard in the workplace, but pretty easy once you find just a few others like yourself. Then it's just laughs and good times at our amazing ability to be openminded! :cloud9:

so to all of us out there dealing with it, good work and keep it up!

(and sit back, relax, have a drink! :gulp: )
Image 2012 Samhain/Beltane Eisteddfod Recipes

ShadowWeaver

Postby ShadowWeaver » 13 Feb 2011, 06:07

I loved reading all the replies.

When I had an office job, I kept a technology-juju charm taped to my computer. I had a hematite and rose quartz (these seem to be the best stones to have at work for me)that were pretty helpful when things got stressful. No one really noticed the stones. If they did, they probably just thought they were ordinary "pretties."

Aitrus

Postby Aitrus » 17 Feb 2011, 01:25

I work in a military setting, and you'll often run into one of "God's Warriors", but I just ignore them and go about my business. The base chapel knows me and has me as their point of contact to refer any pagan to should one show up on their doorstep asking questions. I even made them a informational binder as a resource since they didn't have anything other than a tacklebox labeled "Wiccan Kit" with some tea candles, incense cones, pentacles, a couple of willow stick "wands", some small goblets and some oil vials inside. They've been very receptive of me so far.

As for my immediate workcenter, some know about my religion, such as my boss and my deployment manager (he's in charge of all the dog tags). Most don't know about it, but if they ask I'm open about it. I just explain that what I believe is a lot like what the Native Americans believe, but with Celtic and ancient European roots and flavor. I don't advertise it, but I won't lie if asked. I've gotten some odd looks for not bowing my head during prayers at ceremonies, but it's not all that uncommon since the number of athiests in the military is rising.

I do have a small altar, although it's disguised. It's a Jade plant with whatever ogham stick I've drawn for the month and a something for the season embedded in the soil. Right now, the ogham is Oak and the something is a hand-forged nail in honor of Brigid. It's not much, but it works for me.
You may not be able to outrun Death, but you can sure make the Bastard work for it!
-Opening line from an Andromeda episode

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success - Unknown

Rebecca
OBOD Ovate

Postby Rebecca » 17 Feb 2011, 02:38

I have a beautiful window with lots of sun and I have filled it with plants that other employees have tossed out. All are growing quite well! That is about it.

We don't discuss religion at all - we are more interested in electronics and gadgets. :grin: And that is the way I prefer it.

Crimson Stormfire

Postby Crimson Stormfire » 17 Feb 2011, 03:44

i work retail....as a manager...all my employees, coworkers, boss vendors etc know what i am and they dont question they accept and move on and those i hire i tell within a few hour and follow it up with if you think you cant work for a druid then you shouldnt be in retail cause tolerance is a key factor. lol :grin:

Kima
OBOD Bard

Postby Kima » 17 Feb 2011, 10:09

I work part-time at three different jobs and nobody knows. The fact that they're not full time jobs means that there is less talk involved and when I do chat with colleagues we don't say anything too personal. Then again I'm new to the path so I'm still very much in the druid closet (or oak tree stump? Suits me).

For my PhD work I wrote this: http://druidry.org/board/dhp/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37878

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”