Seeing Ghosts - Advice?

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Caet
OBOD Bard

Seeing Ghosts - Advice?

Postby Caet » 04 May 2012, 21:28

Hello all,

I'm posting this here since it's happening in my workplace (a non-profit organization) though it definitely touches on other issues as well...let me know if the topic should go elsewhere. Also, I'm trying to make it as coherent as possible, but please bear with me - it's a rather emotional subject for me, as will no doubt become clear below...

On March 1st, our organization lost a dearly beloved volunteer. He'd been with the org. for decades, and because he suffered from several long-term illnesses and was on disability he was able to dedicate himself full-time to helping out in a variety of ways around the place. He passed from an apparent heart attack, somewhat unexpectedly, though to be sure he'd never been in good health. It was very sad of course, and he was by and large dearly beloved by everyone here, but at the time I felt that it was a good thing for him, since his physical body had been such a source of pain and hindrance to him over the past 20 years or so.

The night that he passed (I had already been informed of his passing) I had a particularly powerful dream where he came to my office to tell me some things that needed to be done, and to tell me to make sure that they weren't neglected now that he was dead. I found from talking to my co-workers the next day (none of whom are pagan or believe in ghosts, to the best of my knowledge) that many of us had had extremely similar dreams that night. I chalked it up to Marshall's final farewell and had a good chuckle over the fact that he would come all the way over from the other side to take care of his leftover business (very in character for him!) I didn't really hear anything of him after that for a few weeks.

About three weeks or so after his passing, I kept hearing, smelling, and sensing him around the campus (he had a strong and distinctive smell due to the fact that his illness produced open sores on his legs). I heard his voice as if from a distance a couple times, too faint to hear the words but still recognizable, and I often heard his cane tapping around in the rooms he often occupied. I found it unsettling to a degree that I couldn't have expected - by and large I'm comfortable with the concept of spirits lingering in places they loved, and thought maybe Marshall had taken up a role as protecting spirit or genius of the facility he loved so much - but I still felt a sense of paranoia and fear produced in me by the presence of his spirit, more similar to what I've felt in the presence of angry or violent ghosts, poltergeists, etc. despite the fact that I felt no sense of hostility or unhappiness coming from his ghost.

Most recently, he's been visiting me in my sleep - once a week or so, maybe more. Again, the dream encounters have been incredibly positive and pleasant - he's been happy, healthy, at peace, and our conversations have been very friendly and positive. However, upon awakening I've felt that same sense of incredible unease, fear, and paranoia. It's actually at the point where I've been having a hard time participating in daily life with the disturbance.

I'm normally a pretty centered person, not easily disturbed by ghosts - I once encountered a former murder victim in the apartment next door to mine, for example, and had no trouble sleeping or relaxing that night (next door to an angry murdered ghost!). But for some reason, this apparently happy, peaceful ghost is causing me no end of trouble.

I'm not really sure how to proceed. It's at work, so I don't really feel comfortable drawing a circle, holding a seance, or any of the normal things I might try to ask a ghost what's going on. I don't want to ignore or neglect him, since he seems to be working so hard to say something to me...but everything he's said so far has been pretty generic, and I'm not sure how to force the issue.

Anyone who has experience dealing with these kinds of spirits - help is appreciated! :???:

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Re: Seeing Ghosts - Advice?

Postby wyeuro » 05 May 2012, 01:44

i have known many ghosts (i call them 'the blessed dead') including my deceased brother and if i understand you correctly, this man is between the worlds with not much incentive to leave ours, and not yet or ever intending to be focused much on any other. i see it as a kind of astral extension of our material plane, with a lot of resonance with the astral plane - a bit where the irish faerie are but not yet or ever going to be diminished in size. such people may be associated with a place where they have unfinished work to do, or a person whose help they may need or they may have some helpful role to play.

always when interfacing with any people there is a sharing and so it is with the dead, and as with the living it is often polarised. we find the comfortable, good feelings in the centre where the person has found their way to their pure self and becoming self-possessed are empowered, complete personalities. around the edge like a crusty old rind we find the old skin, the old, sick disabled, ulcerous personality being polarised, acting like a forcefield of misery around him. in touching you, he contaminates you with his old habits of being, and of course, is contaminated with your psyche for better or worse as well. 'contaminate' means 'touch together'.

when i find myself dealing with a displaced, sick, terrified or hostile or excessively friendly soul on the astral plane, whether recently dead or just out of their bodies while dreaming, i just pray, give back kindness and strive to understand, keep myself purified and alert and send 'light and love' to the person. i try to honour everything. i try to understand how we two came into contact, and i listen. i love seeing and hearing them, so i don't mind sharing their burdens a bit, though as you say it sometimes is debilitating. for me, it's a labour of love. but for a person fully employed in our world, it can be hard. you do have to be nice, even when you're scared, uncomfortable and couldn't be bothered, because they can turn nasty of you threaten or scare them. they're just people and they live closer to fear than we do, and yeah, sometimes they share it with us.

i'd actually build a healing shrine for this man and tell him about it. the intention is to heal the man not drive him away, so as to enable him to become independent and free to come and go. at the full moon i'd make my first gift a bulb of garlic or an onion and honey or sugar with lemon balm, eucalyptus and thyme to heal the wounds, then at the half moon waning would be wormwood and wine to expel residual parasites, a big bunch of basil and a handful of gold coins and/or perhaps a key or gold watch to restore dignity and sense of self worth at the dark moon, and a pure white candle symbolising freedom and farewell should be burnt for him on the first quarter waxing. basically, i'm medicating the physical problem as well as the personality and you should feel the problem diminishing as the moon wanes and health returning as it begins again to wax. leave offerings for a full day before cleansing the shrine for next time. flowers, cards or crystals can be put there ad lib between times.

obviously, knowing the man, you'd select appropriate symbolic offerings - healing and driving out disease on the waning moon and rebuilding on the waxing. i'd invoke the appropriate quarter as well.
hope this helps :)
wy

Caet
OBOD Bard

Postby Caet » 05 May 2012, 07:34

H'm, that does help quite a bit actually. I think I was having a hard time putting the situation into logical perspective, due to my own feelings for him and my ongoing grieving for his loss, so you've really clarified the whole situation for me.

As far as the offering...I actually think he WOULD appreciate a gift, but in terms of the practical concerns... Must the shrine be in the place he manifests most often (aka my workplace) or would it be acceptable to leave it someplace more private? He seems to have visited me on my "home turf" through my dreams, but he was never at my home in life so I wouldn't count on his finding it or wanting to cross the threshold. Still, if its logistically possible I'd prefer having the shrine away from the office...not sure my job would be secure if they found me doing magic on the grounds!

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Postby wyeuro » 05 May 2012, 11:16

the shrine might be anywhere. the symbolic offerings act across the metaphysical bridge that forms when you intend to reach the person in ritual, and transcend geographical place in the same way that the internet does - a sort of psychospace instead of cyberspace. your loving-kindness acts as a lubricant, and your intentions are the all-important ingredient that makes it work. so it's more important to find a spot where you feel relaxed enough to meditate and feel out for the soul of the man. there's much beauty in this sort of work - releasing the purified soul from the old rags it wore in life. angels will guide you, so feel confident.

Hobbitonian
OBOD Bard

Postby Hobbitonian » 09 Aug 2012, 05:47

Thank you, Caet for putting this out there and Wyeuro for your input. As I am finally getting back in touch with my spirituality, I anticipate this may start happening again, and I rather welcome it. My first experience with a departing spirit happened when I was 12. It happened at the same time (around 3 a.m.) that a friend of our family was killed in a snowmobile accident. In the dream, I was standing outside at a cross-road. The snow-covered ground, the road, and even the sky were white. The friend of the family was dressed in white. His snowmobile (appeared as a motorcycle), helmet, clothing, everything was white. Although his face was covered in a visor (black) I knew who he was. As he rode through the cross-road, he turned and waved as he disappeared into the mist ahead.

I had a similar experience with a much beloved pet(dog) who passed on. After he passed, I kept having dreams of him, at first every night, but never while waking. In the dreams, he was back in his prime and I knew he'd passed on. He was always gloriously happy in each dream. The dreams persisted for several weeks, with decreasing frequency, until in one dream, I told him I would be okay. The dreams stopped after that.

I like Wyeuro's explanation, and advice. I do wonder if your dear friend may be staying around for a while, leaving gradually, until the people he loved and is leaving behind are okay.

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”