Druid justice and austerity

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Dragon

Druid justice and austerity

Postby Dragon » 22 Nov 2012, 22:48

In this age of (UK) austerity opps for work are less and less. If one is a lone parent the opps are even fewer and employers more despotic in their requirements for the employee.
And now austerity is global and many people are suffering.
Should not Druids worldwide be highlighting the INJUSTICE and doing what the Druid calling requires of them in the name of responsible justice?

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Re: Druid justice and austerity

Postby ShadowCat » 23 Nov 2012, 08:26

In the Netherlands there is a longstanding tradition of protecting the employee against losing their job by only allowing three ways of ending employment:
1 by contracting at the start for only a limited amount of time, that is only allowed three times or three years in a row, then it has to become permanent employtment
2 by asking a judge to end any individual employment, the judge wil most likely be very critical and decide that even then terminated, the employee has to be payed an extra fee, depending on age and years of employment
3 by asking a special bureau for a licence to terminate: this is only possible, for instance if the company is in financial dire straits and has to cut employees and/or divisions. After termination, individual employees can still seek justice for loss of their jobs by starting a legal procedure. Also, in this procedure, its a matter of "last in first out" (with a differentiation on agegroups) so the employer can not cull "unwanted" employees willynilly.
Special protection is in place for pregnant women, sick people, people with an active participation in employer advisory boards and special needs-employees.

That said, due to economic circumstances it's getting easier to let people go. Judges are less critical. And there's a politic shift in the air, more towards the American "hired today, fired tomorrow" mentality. That's not a good thing.

As I own a lawfirm, employment and termination cases are my bread and butter at the moment. Still, we always advice our clients to be as humane and forcoming as possible by offering voluntary termination payments, outplacement, education and/or other assistance for their to be ex-employees. It's the right thing to do, but also (and that's our sellingpoint to reluctant clients) it prevents the employees often from seeking justice in long costly procedures. We make less money per case, but clients are happy, results are good, and that brings in more clients. And it makes us able to look at ourselfs in the mirror without wincing because we've started on our own, because we didn't want to be the archetypical moneyhungry pinstriped lawyers.

That said: if I can influence it I will, if I can't I have to let it go... otherwise I'll go crazy. Taking the weight of the world on my shoulders might be noble, but it is paralyzing and prevents me from doing my small contribution.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”