What oath do I take in court for a tribunal ?

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
quiet pilgrim
OBOD Bard

What oath do I take in court for a tribunal ?

Postby quiet pilgrim » 10 Jun 2015, 08:21

Good morning , I am looking for some advice or ideas...I am being called to an employment tribunal at my place of work, as a witness in an employee case. The barrister has told me that as I am called to the witness stand I will be asked to swear/ take an oath on the holy bible or any other way that fits my beliefs. I don't want to swear on the bible despite not having a problem with it personally. I would like to take my Druidic vow and really mean it, but don't know if one exists, or if I should make my own and take that with me......does anyone have any expertise to offer me ?

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: What oath do I take in court for a tribunal ?

Postby Heddwen » 10 Jun 2015, 09:38

I don't know if this helps or not, but I read of a pagan oath that you could swear by, on the internet. I'd have to search for it again. My mother who is a Buddhist swore on a non christian oath when she went to court. They had one especially for her. As for a Druidic oath, I wouldn't know if ours is applicable or not.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 10 Jun 2015, 13:15

Have a look at this, you have a fair amount of choice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sworn_testimony
As a Druid you could use a piece of Oak or Ash for your oath or simply use an Affirmation
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 10 Jun 2015, 15:22

Whenever I have been called to the witness stand I have made an affirmation, it covers the legal niceties, doesn't compromise my beliefs and allows the court to get on with the job in hand.

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Postby Oakapple » 10 Jun 2015, 16:26

There's mention of the pagan oath here

http://www.pagan-network.org/forums/ind ... ic=20399.0

When I was a doing jury service I ended up affirming to save trouble, but I felt it a bit unsatisfactory. I asked the jury clerk afterwards and they seemed to think that in order to swear rather than affirm you needed a Holy book, which would have been a problem. I did send a message to the judge who promised a letter to clarify, but that was six months ago and no reply!

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 10 Jun 2015, 16:43

Aha! that's where I saw it. If it helps, there is a pagan police association. They may be able to advise you.

http://www.policepaganassociation.org/

Green Raven

Postby Green Raven » 10 Jun 2015, 19:09

I always affirm:

Witness Affirmation
"I do solemnly, sincerely and truly declare and affirm that the evidence I shall give shall be the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth."

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/giving-evidence-in-court

This is the simple, no-drama way to do the necessary. Judges and other court regulars also know that this is the format preferred by the devoutly religious as well as the atheistic, as they tend to see swearing on holy books as blasphemous. All in all it gives the impression of being thoughtful and trustworthy.
“Listen, O little pig! are not the buds of thorns
Very green, the mountain beautiful, and beautiful the earth?”
- Myrddin Wyllt, Hoianau / Greetings (to a Pig)

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Postby DJ Droood » 10 Jun 2015, 20:38

I guess it depends on what you want...to make a public/work statement about your druidry or just avoid using the Bible oath when making your promise to testify truthfully.. When I was presented with this not too long ago, I opted for the affirmation...I actually didn't say much of anything...the clerk said something to the effect of "Do you promise to tell the truth, etc." and I said yes. Simply promising to tell the truth is quite Druidic, imo, and a primary statement of spiritual conviction for me.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

quiet pilgrim
OBOD Bard

Postby quiet pilgrim » 11 Jun 2015, 00:11

Thanks for the replies, really helpful.i think I will go for the affirmation, as it's about keeping integrity rather than needing to share my Druidic. I've really valued your input. Xx

ShadowCat
OBOD Ovate

Postby ShadowCat » 17 Jun 2015, 14:15

Simply promising to tell the truth is quite Druidic, imo, and a primary statement of spiritual conviction for me.
In the Netherlands there is the choice between Christian or secular. They are both performed in much the same way (rarely any biblebanging either way). The question is much the same, but you either answer "Zo waarlijk helpe mij god almachtig (So truly, may god help me)" or "Dat beloof ik/dat verklaar ik (So I promise/so I declare)". I feel too that the standard secular option is druidic enough for all intents and purposes: it puts all responsibility with yourself, rather than with deity.
Three sounds one should treasure:
the whisper of the wind through the leaves
the songs of one's heart
the callings of the universe

BS13 I BS13 II LI13 SB13 IL14 LI14 SB14 BS15 LI 15
Sacred spaces and places

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”