Bringing nature into the workplace.

Gainful employment is a reality for most Druids. This forum is a place to discuss challenges and opportunities facing Druids in the workplace.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Brendon

Bringing nature into the workplace.

Postby Brendon » 19 Nov 2015, 18:36

The office where I work is not the most pleasant of environments to spend time in.

The office is situated in the centre of a busy factory so I do not have any windows and the only light available is supplied by florescent strip-lights

I thought about bringing in my own little bit of the outside world but I am struggling to find a suitable plant that will survive in that environment.
I have also considered it may be too cruel to subject another living thing to that office. :cry:

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Oakapple
OBOD Druid

Re: Bringing nature into the workplace.

Postby Oakapple » 19 Nov 2015, 19:55

I'm not a plant expert , but hopefully someone will be along soon with suggestions for that. I'm sure commercial greenhouses run on artificial light.

In the meantime there are always stones, crystals and maybe feathers and water, an LED tealight? You can see the elements theme going on here. I also read that pictures of natural scenes are as calming and effective as the real thing, so that may be the way to go.

Do you have somewhere more pleasant to escape to at lunch time?

Nothing's forgotten......nothing is ever forgotten

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 19 Nov 2015, 19:56

Oh I sympathise Brendan. When I worked in an office like that there was a rubber plant that was really neglected & its pot used as an ash tray :-( but I adopted & cared for it till I left and it went with me, lived together over 30 years! You could try a peace lily, don't over-water but give it a regular misting. And there's always the good old spider plant! Google might give you some more ideas.Most plants will respond to your love and care. I hope you find one happy to share your office with you.
Blessings.

Armitage
OBOD Bard

Postby Armitage » 19 Nov 2015, 21:10

Brendon, this link to the Mother Nature Network might help--it lists the common house plants that NASA has recommended for helping to filter chemicals from the air--

http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-space ... op-desktop

Several on the list need bright light, but there are also several that seem to thrive in low light settings, and help clean the air besides--if you work in a factory office, that might be a real bonus. Best of luck!

Brendon

Postby Brendon » 19 Nov 2015, 21:28

Thanks for the advice, I will be on the look out for a rescue plant but in the meantime I will try getting a selection of the objects mentioned and put up a copy of a picture I took of my favourite tree during a walk in local parkland(see below) I have heard that Yew and Holly are both hardy plants which will grow in containers so I may try and get a few cuttings and do a little experimenting.

Unfortunately there is nowhere pleasant to escape to during lunch breaks as a lot of the outside space is taken up with industrial extraction units and the like. I live locally so I do walk to work and this gives me a few quiet moments on the way to and from work.

winterfire
OBOD Ovate

Postby winterfire » 19 Nov 2015, 21:44

Beautiful. May the spirit of that tree refresh you every time you look at it and spread its influence throughout your workplace. Visit it often and thank it for its friendship. And thank you for sharing the photo.

Return to “Druidry in the Workplace”