New Cycle of Ogham Study Group?

Subforum for the study of the Ogham
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Re: New Cycle of Ogham Study Group?

Postby Heddwen » 19 Oct 2010, 15:26

And if anyone could recommend some literature or websites I'd be most grateful

D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Postby D'Arzhur » 19 Oct 2010, 17:57

And if anyone could recommend some literature or websites I'd be most grateful

Hello Heddwen,
Those are some of the books I got :
- A druid herbal of sacred tree medicine -ellen evert hopman
-ogam the celtic oracle of the trees -paul rhys mountfort
-the green man tree oracle -john matthews
-the healing energies of trees -patrice bouchardon

-the druidry handbook & the druid magic handbook -john michael greer (both with chapter on Ogam)

(I got most of them second hand on Ebay)
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage
Image :daraoi: :awen:

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Postby merryb » 19 Oct 2010, 19:08

I would be interested in studying the Ogam in more depth.

I drew an ogman stick Nuin Ash when I was trying to decide whether or not to sign up for the bardic course. With the message that inner and outer worlds were linked - it had to be yes.

Today I have spent two hours digging out grass and weeds to plant a crab apple tree on my plot by the sea edge in Hampshire. I love trees on my walk to the allotments, in urban Portsmouth, I have found fourteen native trees amongst the ornamental trees in the parks and hedgerows.

With Blessing and light
Merryb

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 20 Oct 2010, 01:40

I drew an ogman stick Nuin Ash when I was trying to decide whether or not to sign up for the bardic course. With the message that inner and outer worlds were linked - it had to be yes. b
I'm just curious here, just trying to understand how you did this...

How did you arrive at a simple "Yes" - "No"... or was it something else?
As a Tarot reader I usually dig deeper and stay away from 1-card readings if possible

Confused- is this from Caitlin Matthews book or another source?
There are four definitions offered in her book; listed by cardinal direction
Nin (Ash) in the North
Your way is clear, obstacles have been removed

Nin (Ash) in the South
Check the coordinates, something doesn't tally

Nin (Ash) in the East
Probe more deeply beneath the surface, there is more to discover

Nin (Ash) in the West
Your are not harnessing your full potential, seeks its freedoms

From 366 Celt; Carl McColman
Ash stands for bringing different energies together in service of a greater whole. "The whole being greater than the sum of its parts"... We must be willing to make a sacrifice in order to obtain that great unifying good
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

Heddwen
OBOD Druid

Postby Heddwen » 20 Oct 2010, 09:44

That's grand, D'Arzhur. Thanks.

It seems a good time for starting at Samhain with Beith/Birch, so where and when do we kick off? :where:

D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Postby D'Arzhur » 20 Oct 2010, 10:18

Since I have posted a small list of books on the subjects of books and Ogam I would like to add that although I am very interested by what others have to say about each tree or each few, it would not mean a thing to me if I did not have my own experience with the trees and the Ogam...
I look first to the tree/shrub as a specie and then to individual one in my life to make (or develop) a personal connection. I need to find a concrete tree in our world (as well as in my inner world).
For the Ogam although I started with an Oracle set of cards I like very much, I did made on my birthday (strong energy) my own set using trimmings of one of the yew tree in my garden...I love to feel the wood in my hand as I hold a little few :)
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Postby merryb » 20 Oct 2010, 12:42

Hi Wolf,

There are many ways of approaching the Ogham, intutition is one of. Nuin the Ash is said to have its roots in hell and its branches in heaven. Its fruits are a key to the linking of things such as the inner and outer world.

Before I drew that one stick I had been walking through a beech wood and as I walked I thought about/ meditated on whether I wanted to take the bardic course, could I afford to do it (money) could I afford not to do it (my Tao)..... In amongst the beech were ash trees perched on the side of the steep hillside reaching through the dense beeches seeking for the light.

When I cam back home I drew one stick from my ogman set - Nuin - Ash and felt the answer was yes joining OBOD and taking the Bardic course was the right path..

At other times I would use ogam sticks and a direction stick, sometimes a layout of ogam cards. Many different and varied ways.

Always when I use ogam for myself or with others I use meditation and Reiki to find the question and understand the answers.

Hope this helps you to uderstand how I got this answer.

I use Caitlin Mathews Wisdom sticks, The Celtic Tree Oracle Liz and Colin Murray
and a handmade set of ogam which i carved from the saille - willow I have planted as a hedge on my plot at the allotments.

I have read various books on tree law,etc. I am really hoping to learn more about Ogam and tree lore from all of you here.

with blessing and light
Merry B

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 20 Oct 2010, 14:37

How do we get hold of the "stickies" Darc? Can you tell me what to do :oops:
I think you just need to ask the wonderful Selene - stickies are a mod job :)

For Ogham stuff on the Web I used this link which has reviews (although I'm not sure how upto date it is currently)
http://www.evertype.com/standards/og/ogmharc.html
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Postby merryb » 21 Oct 2010, 08:48

[quote="

It seems a good time for starting at Samhain with Beith/Birch, so where and when do we kick off? :where:[/quote]

I also feel that starting with Beith/Birch at Samhain is a good starting point. I would love to know more of the lore and messages Beith can bring.

"when and where?

Finding this subform is difficult it seems to be lost in the forest of the OBOD web and it is not listed as an active topic - or is it just me that is lost?

With blessings
Merry B

wolf560

Postby wolf560 » 21 Oct 2010, 10:51

I am just keeping an eye on my "recent posts"....

This hopefully will help me as I learn the Ogham again

:henge:
The Druids wrote nothing down, and memorized everything...
/|\ Mark /|\

Image Image
2011 BS
Speakers Corner (Sep 2011) A lesson in the Ogham
Divination method; The Awen Stones

Guild Chief; ADF Scholars Guild, Scribe GotRP ADF, Bandarach Council member, NOD Council member

ImageImageImageImage

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 21 Oct 2010, 19:55

Finding this subform is difficult it seems to be lost in the forest of the OBOD web and it is not listed as an active topic - or is it just me that is lost?

With blessings
Merry B[/quote]

You can go to the bottom of the page & bookmark it. Then if you want to get right to it just go to your user control panel under the bookmarks tab, click on the link & here you are! :)

I like the idea of starting at Samhain with the birch. I chose birch as my user avatar because this is the beginning of my Bardic journey. It just seemed fitting. I also have the Celtic Wisdom sticks by Caitlin Matthews & Ellen Hopman's books & will check out the others that have been mentioned here. (ebay is a great idea!)

Aside from what has been written about Birch, on a personal level I've noticed that in the Spring it is one of the first to flower (I love those birch catkins) & in the Autumn it is one of the first to start to change color. To me it heralds the beginning of the change of the seasons on both sides of the cycle.
Blessings
Sue

singe
OBOD Ovate

Postby singe » 22 Oct 2010, 12:21

Hi All

I'm just about to begin studying the Ogham though I am likely to fall behind (as with everything) but will contribute as and when able.

Singe

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 22 Oct 2010, 13:52

Not to ask for anyone to give too much away but isn't the Ogham covered during the Bardic or more likely the Ovate course?
I would imagine this would be part of it somewhere along the line.
Blessings for your day.
Sue

D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Postby D'Arzhur » 22 Oct 2010, 16:47

Not to ask for anyone to give too much away but isn't the Ogham covered during the Bardic or more likely the Ovate course?

Yes (intensive) work with trees & the Ogam is part of the Obod Ovate path :treehug1:
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage

merryb
OBOD Ovate

Postby merryb » 22 Oct 2010, 19:04

I hope the Bards are not going to be locked out of this topic because of the hierarchy of OBOD.]
Sue thank you for the tip about bookmarking the page.

I like what you wrote about the birch.......

I like the idea of starting at Samhain with the birch. I chose birch as my user avatar because this is the beginning of my Bardic journey" To me it heralds the beginning of the change of the seasons on both sides of the cycle."

It is a beautiful tree I alway find it awe inspiring that when an area has been devasted by fire, over grazing, etc birch saplings spring up and are the first tree to begin the process of renewal. It also seems to be its role in the ogam renewal after the cleansing of the Samhain.

A group of us meet on the eve of Samhain and perform a cermony we call the "burning bowl" where we write notes about what we want to clear away from the past year and then burn them in a wooden bowl and bury the ashes. We follow this with a simple gratitude cermony and speak our hopes for the new year.

With blessing and light
Merryb

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 23 Oct 2010, 15:00

[/quote]

Yes (intensive) work with trees & the Ogam is part of the Obod Ovate path :treehug1:[/quote]
Ah, this makes me look forward to continuing my journey from Bard to Ovate even more!

A group of us meet on the eve of Samhain and perform a cermony we call the "burning bowl" where we write notes about what we want to clear away from the past year and then burn them in a wooden bowl and bury the ashes. We follow this with a simple gratitude cermony and speak our hopes for the new year.

I have done this also in the firepit in my backyard. It's been a while & thinking about it makes me want to have a Samhain gathering & make it part of the night.
Blessings
Sue

Sadhbh

Postby Sadhbh » 08 Dec 2010, 17:47

Hello to all!

I've just started finding my way around the forum, so please forgive me if I miss out on the procedures a bit... :oops:

I fell in love with the Ogham since the first moment I saw it in one of Phillip Carr-Gom's books... :cloud9:

I am truly passionate for Nature since I was very young, and I am finally starting to be able to get where I want to be in life.
The Bardic course has been helping me a lot with this, and the Ogham is one of my favorite subjects...
Even though I have some knowledge regarding trees, from studying Environmental Sciences in College, I am now trying to go back to the beginning and build that in with my spiritual path.

So I am hoping that you don't mind if I come by every now and then to learn from you all! :hiya:

In case anyone finds this useful, there are a few "places" that I personally think provide really good information:
The Wisdom of Trees (book by Jane Gifford)
The Celtic Tree Oracle (for obvious reasons hehe)
http://www.thegoddesstree.com/
http://www.celticbirthtrees.com/

Thank you all for doing such a wonderful work with your posts about the subject!! :hug:

Brightest Blessings to all!!

Sadhbh :kitty:
"Jesters do often prove prophets." (Shakespeare)

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 05 Jan 2011, 22:13

I apologize to all of you who wrote in YES way back in October - literally, the day after I asked the question or 2 days at the longest.

There is a subforum which has sections dedicated to each tree of the ogham. At least one person wrote in about having a strong affinity to the ogham. That's awesome, because quite honestly, I really don't. I do better with the trees themselves than with the ogham at this point. As it is part of the Ovate training I have that uncomfortable feeling that there's not any real simple way to get around it. I was hoping working together with some of you would help me, since I will tend to like the interactivity.

Right around where I live the majority of the types of trees used as ogham letters do live around here. "The Germans love their forests", and these villages are as "house proud" as the English and have lavish, tended gardens and hedges. There is a street which sports silver birch, many pedestrian and bicycle 'short cuts' between the streets sport beech hedges. These are just first examples off the top of my head. I don't think I would recongize the glyph in ogham for either tree which causes a pang of guilt as I have been an Ovate since 2007 but still haven't learned my ogham....However, during the first half of this year I have to prioritize learning German as its actually what my neighbors speak and while I can speak conversational level German I get lost by my ignorance of the language so easily that it has scared me about going out and socializing much and I want to have a full social life here.

Please take a look at the ogham boards: there are posts for each tree.

Thank you all for writing in: I have no conscious understanding of why it has taken me months to respond. That was an accident.

Miriam "the American in Germany who has lived in England"

MiriamSPia

Postby MiriamSPia » 05 May 2011, 20:00

Update from the American in Germany.

OK, I just spent months learning more German. I'm still not fluent but in truth 'that really helped'.

Being a hands on learner, I finally have made a few pieces of ogham - I mean the letters, out of sticks of the tree or shrub of the type the letter I formed with it signifies. 'Slow but deep' learning? I love trees - in fact the real reason I ever joined OBOD was not to have a religious conversion [sorry, if that's what someone thought] but because 'chatting with trees' and 'true magick' are not covered at my church - I don't think they really need to be, but I wanted to learn more of that anyways and OBOD offered it, so here I am.

We don't all find the same part of the training easy or difficult. If you're 'like me' whatever comes easily one tends to take for granted but whatever is difficult we really notice. Only when someone told me that writing poetry was actually hard for her, did I realize why for me, the Bardic grade was such a breeze. I had already been taught the wheel of the year rites, and basics about the directions and I write for a living and am very creative with words so stuff like that was fun and easy.

Getting intimate with the actual trees of the ogham seems sensible and natural enough: its finally Spring here so they are more open to contact, as are the people. I am a little :oops: about how slow going this is being for me, but I am continuing on.

At this point I have done 16 gwers, and finally realized: it does matter very much to be precise with the ogham tree species because of the medicinal applications and whether or not they are edible. If it were purely a matter of having another written alphabet then it wouldn't matter, any oak would do, so to speak.

Anyone who cares at all, is appreciated.

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Postby DaRC » 06 May 2011, 10:26

Yep, I still struggle with the glyphs for the ogham; is the bar for Beith on the left or the right?
The glyphs for the extended Ogham totally lose me!

However as memory keys I find the Ogham quite powerful, then when relating the Ogham to plants it's very useful. I can now recognise the local plants that fit the Ogham - as you say a Holm Oak is very different to an English Oak which is very different to a Red Oak :roll:

Glad to hear ihr Deutscher ist gut - my german is purely basic enough to get me fed and watered when travelling.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Return to “Ogham Study Group”