ogham specifically for grounding

Subforum for the study of the Ogham
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Tilia

ogham specifically for grounding

Postby Tilia » 23 May 2011, 21:58

Hi there

I have been tasked with learning about the concept of grounding, or rather how to stay grounded.

I am very much a "floating around up there" sort of person and find being "down here" very difficult at times, but I realise this is something I need to learn to do.

I can ground on command as it where but I need to learn to stay grounded.... One of the paths I was given to explore was Ogham.

I have a set of sticks that I collected when I first came to paganism and I work with them in my crystal healing practice but I never really learnt many of their properties. I know a few, and connect to Willow very well, but others I am not so sure about.

I am drawn to Oak for this but I wonder if there is another that is more applicable. It is likely that as I don't like being grounded I do not connect to the tree that would help me ground.

Can anyone help me explore grounding through the Ogham?
Live life as if the world is as it should be, to prove that it can be

Explorer
OBOD Druid

Re: ogham specifically for grounding

Postby Explorer » 24 May 2011, 06:37

Hi there

I have been tasked with learning about the concept of grounding, or rather how to stay grounded.

I am very much a "floating around up there" sort of person and find being "down here" very difficult at times, but I realise this is something I need to learn to do.

I can ground on command as it where but I need to learn to stay grounded.... One of the paths I was given to explore was Ogham.

I have a set of sticks that I collected when I first came to paganism and I work with them in my crystal healing practice but I never really learnt many of their properties. I know a few, and connect to Willow very well, but others I am not so sure about.

I am drawn to Oak for this but I wonder if there is another that is more applicable. It is likely that as I don't like being grounded I do not connect to the tree that would help me ground.

Can anyone help me explore grounding through the Ogham?
I believe many people have that problem. And I also think that a tree could indeed help you to find some balance and grounding.

I think that the trick is not 'connecting' to certain oghams, but more to approach a tree in a different way. An Oak would indeed do well, or a Beech, or even a Chestnut. But I think it is more important to find a big firm tree than one of a specific species, because that image gives a sense of firmness and grounding already.

What you could do is try to leave out all the 'spiritual' meaning' for a bit. No spirits, souls, dryades or whatever you normally project onto it. Just see it as a big tree, a fellow life form, rooted in the firm earth that you walk on also. You are already connected to the tree that way, through your common genes, the air you breath, the ground under you feet. You don't need to close your eyes and think spiritual thoughts to do that. Be as down-to-earth as possible.
It may even help to visualise how to (respectfully) chop it up for firewood that can warm you in winter, just to get the overly devout floaty spirituality out of your system a bit, and find a sense of balance there. (You wanted to ground right?).

After this meeting, or meditation even, you could take something with you, some twigs, acorns, a piece of dead wood. And whenever you start floating off again, focus on that object and remember the down-to-earth meeting with the tree.
:warm:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 24 May 2011, 08:13

Excellent advice by Nico.

You could just find a nice old tree and start regularly sitting at its base, feeling how it is a bit like you, living on this planet. And how it is different.
Say hello to it and ask its permission, you might need to try a couple until you find the one that is most welcoming. Tell it your name.
And when you can't go there physically, visualize, but physical would be better if the objective is truly grounding in the here and now.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Tilia

Postby Tilia » 24 May 2011, 16:19

Hi there

Thanks heaps for the replies... did you hear the gasp when I read "It may even help to visualise how to (respectfully) chop it up for firewood that can warm you in winter" :D But I do understand what you were saying.

I have an Ash tree that I talk to in the garden... when it's in a talkative mood. Thing is it's been copiced and then pollarded so it's a bit of a tortured soul.... so maybe not suitable for this... or maybe it is.

I will definitley give this a ponder tho (Scorpio need to get it straight in my head first :whistle: )

I am aware that this is not going to be a quick thing and there is going to be a fair bit of sulking on my part before I get past "knowing I should" into "wanting to" :oops:

I guess I was thinking of the Ogham because I could maybe draw the symbol on my ankle to see if it had any effect (looking for an easy option I guess)

Thanks again.... off to ponder trees while I am waiting to get out of work :wink:

Tilia

Postby Tilia » 24 May 2011, 16:29

I will add that it was a willow tree that tasked me with this...... now you really will want to lock me up.

This Willow tree has been a teacher of mine for many many years and it sent me away and told me not to come back until I have learnt this.

Many if the issues I am facing in my life at the moment are connected to me learning to hold the light down here rather than run away and head "up there" where it is safe. If I can learn to ground strongly and stay grounded I will be able to draw the light down and stay connected and more able to cope with people that I don't resonate with.

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Postby Lily » 24 May 2011, 21:27

I have an Ash tree that I talk to in the garden... when it's in a talkative mood. Thing is it's been copiced and then pollarded so it's a bit of a tortured soul.... so maybe not suitable for this... or maybe it is.
ah. we had two discussions about this recently. Mind two things: trees are modular beings, as are all plants. They are not designed to feel pain, and so you can safely assume that the coppicing wasn't too horrible for the tree.
Also, coppicing/pollarding, and that was in the other discussion, might even allow trees in some situations to grow really old, much older than they would otherwise. So it's somewhat beneficial to some of them.
You could ask that tree how it feels about it.
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Tilia

Postby Tilia » 24 May 2011, 21:53

Hi Lily

Thanks for your reply.

I have asked the Ash and I got a "meh" back... he's really not that talkative.. or maybe I don't listen too well yet, which is probably more the case.

It does have a nurturing soul as it told me to get all the crystals I have collected over the years that aren't "natural" so it could heal them... I also decorated it to make a wishing tree, which it seems to like. It also hasn't minded me continuing the pollarding... in a sympathetic way.... as there is no way it can grow to full size where it it. I get the impression the boundary between our house and the one behind was a hedgerow as there is a bit of it still left and we have field maple, sycamore, blackthorn and hawthorn growing there... but it is REALLY close to the next house so can't be allowed to get that big.

I always ask before I cut pieces off... in fact, thinking about it, it taught me a lesson whilst asking me to take off a dead stump.

I've only been here a year so I am still getting used to it.... I am sure we will build up a great bond.

And thinking about it, ash is ygdrasill (sp??) the bridge between "up there" and "down here" as I put it.... so I am sure it knows more than it is letting on about this.....

Return to “Ogham Study Group”