question about direction....

Subforum for the study of the Ogham
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Crimson Stormfire

question about direction....

Postby Crimson Stormfire » 22 Jun 2011, 07:24

can the ogham be written in a "Y" {downward}

pattern or must they be in a ">----" {read left to right } or "/\" {read upward}?

or does reading them downward invert their meaning if you are using them to symbolize say strength and protection?

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Re: question about direction....

Postby Lily » 22 Jun 2011, 08:11

You have to make a distinction between the original ogham inscriptions...
In orthodox inscriptions the script was carved into the edge (droim or faobhar) of the stone, which formed the stemline against which individual characters are cut.
The text of these "Orthodox Ogham" inscriptions is read beginning from the bottom left-hand side of a stone, continuing upward along the edge, across the top and down the right-hand side (in the case of long inscriptions).
(Wikipedia)
- here it depends on where you are on the stone! So all three options exist.

... and reading ogham staves/cards, looks like some people do read reversed. My Green Man Tree Oracle doesn't give reversed meanings.
Either you decide for yourself or wait for someone to give another opinion...
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

ebhadh
OBOD Druid

Postby ebhadh » 22 Jun 2011, 12:05

The feather-mark always show the direction the reading should take. Ogam really should be written ascending, essentially as if you were climbing a tree. This is not so practical on putting it down on paper, but really it was not designed with that purpose.
To write it going downwards it not really appropriate.

ebhadh
May the Long-Time Sun shine upon you; All Love surround you; the Pure-Light-Within guide you all the way on.

Crimson Stormfire

Postby Crimson Stormfire » 27 Jun 2011, 08:26

i was actually using them in a spell etched into short oak staves, standing in the ground. so they should be read ground to sky? or if i want to draw power from the sky should they be read sky to ground? that is the heart of the question. thank you for your responses so far.

JohnPaulPatton

Postby JohnPaulPatton » 20 Jul 2011, 00:17

To write it going downwards it not really appropriate.
ebhadh
Some of the Ogam stone writing goes up, over and down the stone- so there seems to me no reason why Ogam could not be written downwards. Though I appreciate it was usually upward on stone, it was also carved crossways eg the lintel at Owain na gat. The manuscript Ogam are mostly written left to write, as we do.

JP

JohnPaulPatton

Postby JohnPaulPatton » 20 Jul 2011, 00:20

i was actually using them in a spell etched into short oak staves, standing in the ground. so they should be read ground to sky? or if i want to draw power from the sky should they be read sky to ground? that is the heart of the question. thank you for your responses so far.
I think like any magical operation-go with your instinct. Inverted ogam, like an inverted pentagram seems a pretty good way to 'bring down' the spirit (or intent) into matter, etc.

Crimson Stormfire

Postby Crimson Stormfire » 24 Jul 2011, 05:23

thank you for all the responses i appreciate the knowledge given and have decided that to draw the power from the sky they need to be written skyward down, at least thats what my initial instinct to do is. :D

Return to “Ogham Study Group”