Isaac Bonewits

This subforum is reserved for posts honoring the memory of a person who has crossed over.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
WhiteRaven

Isaac Bonewits

Postby WhiteRaven » 11 Aug 2010, 01:42

crossed over today... :candle:
Blessings,

Raven

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." ~Nora Roberts

wyeuro
OBOD Druid

Re: Isaac Bonewits

Postby wyeuro » 11 Aug 2010, 02:46

that's so sad. he was sick for so long. gone to a better place we hope. his spirit gave so much.
wyverne /|\

Nightfalls
OBOD Bard

Postby Nightfalls » 11 Aug 2010, 03:31

that is sad, i still have some of his books i have yet to read. I hope he enjoys his time in the Summerlands.
Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance, I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears, Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.

Davin Raincloud
OBOD Ovate

Postby Davin Raincloud » 11 Aug 2010, 07:26

Guys, I think he's still around. Not quite yet.

But it's a matter of hours.
Ar nDraiocht Fein: A Druid Fellowship Rumors have been spreading on FB that Isaac had passed. These rumors are false, he is still with us, thankfully :)
9 hours ago via Selective Tweets

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 11 Aug 2010, 23:11

That was misinformation. Per Phaedra on Faceboo this afternoon, Isaac is still with us, in pain, and the end is near.
Say a prayer for his peaceful passage.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Serpentia
OBOD Ovate

Postby Serpentia » 12 Aug 2010, 09:28

I am so glad I was able to meet him and Phaedra last year and I only wish it had been sooner so I could have enjoyed more of him than just his books and memories. My thoughts are with them.

Serpentia
Facilitator of www.druidryonline.de, the NEW German Druid Community on the web

Astrid
OBOD Ovate

Postby Astrid » 12 Aug 2010, 17:53

Hey everybody I just checked the wild hunt and Isaac passed away this morning :cry: http://wildhunt.org/blog/

May he have a safe journey to the other world :awen:
Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve.
Dr. Napoleon Hill
ImageImage

WhiteRaven

Postby WhiteRaven » 12 Aug 2010, 18:26

Isaac and Phaedra Bonewits: This morning, August 12, 2010 at
approximately 8 AM ET, Isaac Bonewits passed away peacefully in his
sleep. All his brothers and sisters arrived at his side last night.
His family and friends surround him now.

Pllease pray and send estrength to this family.
Blessings
Rev Francesca Hedrick
Blessings,

Raven

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." ~Nora Roberts

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 13 Aug 2010, 04:40

The information below provided by CHS past board chair Kirk Thomas, current ArchDruid of Ár nDraíocht Féin (ADF):

"We members of ADF are filled with great sadness at the news of the death of our founder, Rev. Isaac Bonewits. Our thoughts and our hearts go out to his widow, Phaedra, his son, Arthur, and his entire family at this unhappy time.

"ADF shall hold a special service to celebrate his life, followed by a wake of remembrance on Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 9pm EDT at the Summerland ADF Festival at Camp Clifton in Yellow Springs, OH. We invite everyone who loved Isaac or who has been touched by his works and writings to remember him at that time by lighting a candle or holding a ritual in his honor.

"At Thursday's Memorial Service we shall welcome Isaac into the ranks of the Ancient Wise, those of our ancestors, the Sacred Dead, who are willing to join with us and grant us the wisdom we need to bring back the old ways.

"On our website we also have a special memorial page for Isaac where there is a eulogy by Ian Corrigan and links to a special guestbook page where anyone may leave their condolences. It may be reached at http://www.adf.org/about/leaders/isaac-bonewits/.

"My the Gods ease Isaac's passage into the Otherworlds, and may the Ancestors welcome him with open arms. We also pray that they ease the pain of his family and of those who shall sorely miss him. And we pray that his blessings and wisdom will cross the veils to us here for the benefit of ADF and of us all."

I am so glad that we got to see him at the Northern California Gorsedd last summer. Those of us in the S. F. Bay Area remember him well. He initiated many of us as Druids in the Rose Garden in Berkeley in the early 1980's. He is the author of the seminal "Real Magic", which was his college thesus at U.C. Berkeley. He obtained a degree in Magic signed by Ronald Reagan, when Berkeley offered "design your own degree" programs! An unforgettable, charismatic, eccentric and loveable man.
Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Spirit Bear
OBOD Bard

Postby Spirit Bear » 13 Aug 2010, 11:11

:candle: May the Nature Spirits guide him Home and may he rest in Peace :candle:
:brnbear: Spirit Medicine Bear :brnbear:

“Every animal knows more than you do.”—Native American Proverb
≈✿≈ We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals ≈✿≈ ~ Immanual Kant ~

Image Image Image

Argenta

Postby Argenta » 13 Aug 2010, 11:18

:candle:
I am not young enough to know everything. (O.W.)

starbird
OBOD Ovate

Postby starbird » 13 Aug 2010, 14:32

:candle: Safe journey to the Summerlands.

Fitheach
OBOD Druid

Postby Fitheach » 13 Aug 2010, 15:54

Tha gliocas an ceann an fhitich
Image Image Image

Busker

Postby Busker » 14 Aug 2010, 00:51

Thank you for your life Isaac.

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Postby Cosmic Ash » 14 Aug 2010, 23:03

lotuswelcome
OBOD Ovate

Postby lotuswelcome » 15 Aug 2010, 14:53

'Please believe me,
the River told me ,
very softly, want you
to hold me'
-Jim Morrison-

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 17 Aug 2010, 00:07

Peaceful journey to the Summerlands, Isaac. :awen:

:dryadia: /|\
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

Philip
OBOD Druid

In Memory of Isaac

Postby Philip » 17 Aug 2010, 08:53

isaac-bonewits-big.jpg
ISAAC BONEWITS 1949 - 2010 Photo by Ava Francesca
isaac-bonewits-big.jpg (167.19 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
Isaac Bonewits has begun his journey to the Summerlands today (August 12th 2010). He died peacefully in his sleep at his home in Nyack, New York, this morning surrounded by his family and friends. Isaac was a seminal figure in the Druid movement – his keen wit and far-seeing mind was admired all over the world. Only a few days ago his German publisher was talking to me and we were both enthusing about his writing and his humour. I remember giving a workshop in the room next door to the one where Isaac was also holding a workshop about 15 years ago. So much laughter came from his room we seriously considered abandoning our workshop to join him.

In the Foreword to his book Bonewits’s Essential Guide to Druidism I decided John Lennon’s words described him best, and wrote:

“Some kinda druid dudes lifting the veil. Doing the mind guerrilla, Some call it magic – the search for the grail.’ John Lennon – Mind Games.

If you want a Druid dude to lift the veil on Druidism, you’ve come to the right place. Isaac is like an eccentric and dedicated botanist who has decided in this book to recount his view of the exotic jungle that is modern Druidism. He’s well placed to do this because he’s been in the thick of it for some time. In fact he’s played a crucial role in its development in the modern era.”

Last year Isaac and Phaedra came to London and he gave a talk at London’s oldest occult bookstore – The Atlantis Bookshop. That was the last time Stephanie and I saw him. I am so glad we did. He was in fine form: as radiant and as witty as ever. I asked him if we could record his talk and he was happy for me to leave a voice recorder beside him. You can hear his talk here.

Isaac was not only historically significant, he was a warm, generous, funny, and very very bright guy. We will all miss him very much. May his journey to the Summerlands be swift and sure. Now is the time of the spectacular Perseids meteor shower, named after the descendants of the god Perseus. He’s taken off during Nature’s most spectacular firework display – it’s just like him to do that! Many blessings and condolences to Phaedra and all his family.

You can read a memorial to Isaac on the website of ADF (the group he founded) here.

Addition:

Here is the official announcement that is now being posted on a number of sites:

Philip Emmons Isaac Bonewits, founder and Archdruid Emeritus of of Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship, one of North America’s leading experts on ancient and modern Druidism, Witchcraft, magic and the occult, and the rapidly growing Earth Religions movement, died today after a short struggle with cancer.

Mr. Bonewits first came into the public eye when he graduated from the University of California at Berkeley with a Bachelor of Arts in Magic and Thaumaturgy (1970). During his tenure there, Mr. Bonewits worked with many renowned professors including Nobel Prize Laureate Owen Chamberlain. The work he did for that degree became his first book, Real Magic: An Introductory Treatise on the Basic Principles of Yellow Magic (1971).

In 1983, he founded and became the first Archdruid of Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship (ADF) an international fellowship devoted to creating a public tradition of Neopagan Druidry. In 1995, he retired from a leadership role due to complications from eosinophilia- myalgia syndrome. ADF has grown to become the best-known Neopagan Druid group based in North America. At his death, Mr. Bonewits held the title of ArchDruid Emeritus.

During his forty years as a Neopagan priest, scholar, teacher, bard, and polytheologian, Isaac Bonewits coined much of the vocabulary and articulated many of the issues that have shaped the rapidly growing Neopagan movement in the United States and Canada.

Mr. Bonewits was internationally known as a speaker who educated, enlightened and entertained two generations of modern Goddess worshippers, nature mystics, and followers of other minority belief systems, as well as explained these movements to journalists, law enforcement officers, college students, and academic researchers.

His personal papers will become part of the American Religions Collection at the Library of University of California at Santa Barbara.

One of his most influential contributions was the Advanced Bonewits Cult Danger Evaluation Frame (the “ABCDEF”), developed in 1979 as a response to the Jim Jones People’s Temple tragedy. It has been translated into many languages and used around the world to evaluate how dangerous or harmless an organization might be. It was the first such scale to use theories of mental health and personal growth to judge rather than theological or ideological standards.

His other books include Authentic Thaumaturgy (1979, 1998), The Pagan Man (2005), Bonewits’s Essential Guide to Witchcraft and Wicca (2006), Bonewits’s Essential Guide to Druidism (2006), Neopagan Rites (2007), and Real Energy (2007), which was co-authored with his wife, Phaedra, as well as numerous articles, reviews and essays. As a singer-songwriter, he released two albums, Be Pagan Once Again (1988), and Avalon is Rising (1992).

He is survived by his wife, Phaedra, his son from a previous marriage, Arthur Lipp-Bonewits of Bardonia NY, his mother Jeannette, his brothers Michael and Richard, and sisters Simone Arris and Melissa Banbury.

seabhac star
OBOD Ovate

Postby seabhac star » 17 Aug 2010, 16:47

Thank you Isaac :candle:
2011 SB
Whosoever would be a man would be a non-conformist-Ralph Waldo Emerson.

ladydragonstar

Postby ladydragonstar » 19 Aug 2010, 03:56

Goodbye, Isaac. I truly loved the brief time I got to know you. You truly are a light on the path for so many. :where: Your 20 Laws of Magic are part of the core of anything I teach students. If they don't get the Laws, they don't get to learn any further magick from me. It's that important. His ABCDEF (Advanced Bonewits Cult Danger Evaluation Frame) so named because "evaluating these groups should be elementary." Is used by law enforcement all over the world.

Most importantly at this time, his family NEEDS our help. Even before this health crisis, they were suffering financially. Now they have lots of medical bills to deal with. Due to the tryptophan poisoning Isaac suffered from in the early 90s, he has been unable to hold down a "regular" job for quite some time. So please visit www.neopagan.net and donate to help them. This weekend, I am organizing a simple memorial service, during which I will take up a collection to send to them. :idea:There are paypal buttons on the website, please use them, even if it's only $1 or 2. None of us can ever repay what he has done for our community, but we can at lease help out a bit.

The Merlin of America has passed beyond the Western Shores...
:candle: :ravens: :calinash:

Return to “In Memoriam”