Madison my feline friend for almost 20 years

This subforum is reserved for posts honoring the memory of pets or other animal friends who now wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Branta
OBOD Bard

Madison my feline friend for almost 20 years

Postby Branta » 10 Sep 2009, 04:58

I got Madison for my eighteenth birthday. It is hard to remember being that young. Starting university, not yet married, not yet a mother, not yet divorced. He was my only responsibility. We grew up together. Twenty years he was my friend. I would connect with old friends and they would be amazed that he was still here. I would joke that he was a special breed that would live forever. As the years piled up it hurt my heart to think of the day that he wouldn’t be part of my life. There are a million ways that he brought me joy. Madison was just always there.
I moved to a smaller city 3 years ago and found a kind vet who probably thinks I am a little nuts. She would weigh him, tell me how much he had lost and then as gently as possible remind me that we were seeing a old cat getting older. It made no difference, I would cry for the whole visit while trying to have a normal conversation. Yep, three years, twice a year I would cry the whole time. Then the 2nd last visit, she told me that he had infected teeth that we couldn’t do anything about. I was to keep giving him his kidney and arthritis meds and watch to make sure he was eating. Then it happened first one feeding than another, then three days went by without him eating.
Morning of the 11th I woke up with Madison snuggled up against me as he had for almost 20 years, I looked at him and realized that he didn’t have any more time. It felt like the end of everything. I made the call to Dr. Sherry and spent the morning with my friend. I didn’t think I was going to be able to walk into the vet but I did. I held him tight in my arms as his breathing slowed and his eyes closed and then he was gone. He liked to sleep on my head sometimes (crazy cat) and I would lay there and listen to his heart beat, thinking it sounded so fast, marveling at how long it had beat in his chest, and now it has stopped.
And just like that I am older and he has moved on. I will see him again and there will be joy in our meeting. For now, it is raining.
Some people might think it silly to morn a pet but I would rather see it in the way described by a wonderful woman "In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.
Mother Teresa"
Madison: October 1989 - August 11 2009 - my small furry man who I cared for with great love.
Stand still, the forest knows where you are, you must let it find you.

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Re: Madison my feline friend for almost 20 years

Postby Crystal Dragon » 10 Sep 2009, 08:29

:candle: for Madison, clearly a much loved feline companion

:hug: for you Branta
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Wolfdance
OBOD Bard

Postby Wolfdance » 10 Sep 2009, 16:18

I feel sorry for those who would say it's silly to mourn a pet, for it means that they have never felt the great love that comes from bonding with a companion animal. Mine are all family members.

:hug: for you, Branta. You made a hard choice, but it was the right one for your little man. You'll see him again.

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 10 Sep 2009, 16:24

I know how you feel. :hug: There is no shame in mourning over a furry friend the same way as doing it for a human.

:candle:

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Dryadia2
OBOD Druid

Postby Dryadia2 » 10 Sep 2009, 21:49

For Madison :candle:
For you, Branta :hug:
I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than any city on earth - Steve McQueen

D'Arzhur
OBOD Druid

Postby D'Arzhur » 10 Sep 2009, 22:00

:candle: for Madison and :hug: for you Branta

So sorry about the loss of such a dear friend...
I know and share your pain...

D'Arzhur
(2 cats & 2 dogs)
D'Arzhur
Tradu/i\re
ImageImage
Image :daraoi: :awen:

Selene
OBOD Druid

Postby Selene » 11 Sep 2009, 20:05

Sometimes our fur-friends are the best ones we ever have. Who else loves us unconditionally?

Safe journey to the Summerlands for Madison and comfort to you, Branta. Yes, there is rain now, but he'll be there at the Rainbow Bridge for you. :hug:
"I've learned so much from my mistakes...I'm thinking of making few more."

OBOD Druid Religious Tolerance No hotlinks! Image Image

Branta
OBOD Bard

Postby Branta » 01 Oct 2009, 16:11

Thanks to all for your kind words and gentle thoughts.
Stand still, the forest knows where you are, you must let it find you.

lavouivre
OBOD Ovate

Postby lavouivre » 09 Oct 2009, 21:49

:rainbow: :panther: to Madison! May he run forever free in summerland. Very sorry about your loss and you must feel lonely and so sad... A big hug to you. You will find him again.

People who do not bond with animals miss something very important. Mostly, they don't know what it is to be loved for whatever you do, always, for ever... Pets are family. Pets are your babies.

You were lucky, your cat had a very long life, and a happy one, it seems. Big hugs again!

Return to “Rainbow Bridge”