For Rita

This subforum is reserved for posts honoring the memory of pets or other animal friends who now wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge.
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Twig
OBOD Bard

For Rita

Postby Twig » 26 Jan 2010, 09:15

My best friend's dog, a rascally rescued Papillon, quit eating about two weeks ago. As she had always been a picky eater, my friend didn't get too worried until the second week. Rita was also just lying around -- not her usual behavior even though she was 10 years old.

(Oddly, prior to the two-week decline, Rita started craving cigarette ashes, and would knock over ashtrays to get to the ashes. [Diane has tried to quit several times over the years, to no avail]). No one she talked to -- professional or amateur -- could explain the behavior. Rita must have known that there was something in those ashes that would help her, but what?)

The vet sent Diane home with a diagnosis of anemia for Rita, some liquid iron, and liquid food for force-feeding. Finally, Rita quit drinking water and was unable to go up the stairs, in spite of Diane's care.

On Friday night, Diane carried her up the stairs and put her in bed with her. However, over these past two weeks, Rita had chosen to sleep in a chair instead of the bed. Diane woke up during the night, and saw that Rita had moved to the chair. When Diane woke up on Saturday morning, Rita had apparently used up the very last bit of her energy and had gotten in bed right next to Diane -- which she'd never done before. She would lie in the bed, but never right next to Diane. Who knows what happened to her before Diane adopted her...

Rita was still warm that morning, but her eyes were wide open, with no sign of life. Neighbors came over to certify that Rita had died. Diane is, of course, devastated and is feeling guilty that she didn't do enough. My feeling is that the vet didn't do enough. Nevertheless, she keeps re-living that moment of waking up with her dear doggie at her side, lifeless.

So, if anyone feels like sending some healing energy to her, it would be most appreciated. She is very private with her grief, but I know how badly she is hurting.
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Re: For Rita

Postby Cosmic Ash » 26 Jan 2010, 21:18

:candle: For Diane.
It's always hard to lose a pet and that is a particularly sad story.

Aurora
OBOD Bard

Postby Aurora » 27 Jan 2010, 06:24

:candle: For Diane and her precious baby
ImageImage

Wisdom begins in wonder-Socrates

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 27 Jan 2010, 10:52

:candle: for Rita

Prayers for Diane, I know how hard it is to accept that a loved animal is gone, and how easy to blame yourself....

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Twig
OBOD Bard

Postby Twig » 28 Jan 2010, 09:02

Thanks for the good thoughts, everyone.

Diane is doing a little better now, but of course, still has moments of collapse from the grief. I cannot image... I am a "death virgin," having made it to 63 years of age without having to grieve the loss of a pet. I love my dog so deeply and completely that losing him seems like it will just kill me. Seeing Diane soldier on with life gives me hope.
"...some part of me is tree." -- Stephanie Kaza (Buddhist author)

"It takes courage to live ordinary lives." -- Connie Schultz (newspaper columnist)

:awen: :terra: :seasons:

http://www.elephants.com

Crystal Dragon
OBOD Druid

Postby Crystal Dragon » 28 Jan 2010, 09:52

<candle> For Rita
(apologies for some reason my smilies aren't all working)

:hug: For Diane
ImageImageImage

When the Power of Love over comes the Love of Power, the world will know peace. (Jimi Hendrix)

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened
Anatole France (1844-1924)

Try to remember to be more Cat like... meditate regularly, be boundless and
purr a healing vibration!

Return to “Rainbow Bridge”