To Find your Power Animal

A forum for discussion of the Shamanic path.
Forum rules
The focus of this forum is on the positive aspects of Shamanism, especially in connection with Druidry. Please feel free to discuss, ask questions and share your ideas and experiences. This is a public forum, viewable by guests as well as members, and is cataloged by most search engines.

If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

To Find your Power Animal

Postby Donata » 14 Aug 2009, 18:18

Basic Shamanic Exercise to Find your Power Animal.

(If you already have your power animal, use this time to contact it and find out what message it may have for you today, or you may find that another power animal will choose to come to you at this time.)

The Center of the Medicine Wheel (as well as being the place of Great Mystery and the Child’s Fire) is the place of the World Tree, or Shaman’s Tree. As a shamanic practitioner, you may climb to either the Lower Worlds or the Upper Worlds on this tree. As you travel, you will discover that the Medicine Wheel is multi-dimensional, layered, so that there is a Wheel in the Upper Worlds, and a Wheel in the Lower Worlds. These other Wheels are not limited by time and space, so will not confine your journey. You may journey freely. The Medicine Wheel above and below provides protection and security. In the timeless space of other worlds the Medicine Wheel offers a sense of direction.

Either drum for yourself, or use a tape/CD designed for shamanic journeying. Create sacred space in your usual way. The drumming will help you on the journey. Drumming in person or on tape/CD will let you know when to end the journey and return to normal consciousness. The classic beat during a journey is a heart beat, with 4 sharp beats to sound the end and time to return. If you choose not to do either, set an alarm clock to tell you when to return.

Start by centering, and deeply relaxing. Here’s one way. Imagine that you are a tree. Feel your roots reaching deep, deep into Mother Earth. As you exhale release more tension, toxins, all negativity, deep into the Earth where it will be recycled and become compost. Feel your roots sinking through the earth level, down through the stone level, through the water table, deep into the fiery heart of the Earth. As you inhale pull up grounding, nurturing earth energy of all these elements. Let this energy gather in your heart center. Now imagine your branches reaching high up to the sky. Again, as you exhale, release any tension, toxins, or negativity that remains. As you inhale pull down healing cosmic energy from the sky, from the life-giving sun, the moon and stars. Let this energy gather in your heart center.

Feel Earth and Sky energy mingling in your heart center. Sense the energy as a golden glow or a small sun in your heart center. Now sense the golden light as it begins to flow throughout your entire body. Take your time. Sense the warmth of the golden light filling your chest, abdomen, flowing down to your legs, your feet. The golden light flows upward to fill your head, and flows down your arms to your hands. Your body is a glowing body of light! Breathe in and out, and enjoy the sensation

Now visualize a great tree growing at the center of the Medicine Wheel. Your first journeys will be to the Lower Worlds. You may climb down the roots of the Tree into the Lower Worlds or you may find a knot hole and enter the Tree itself. As you do this, you find yourself traveling into the root, and down the root into the Lower Worlds.

Once in the Lower Worlds, look about you. Now look about you. Notice the scenery, colors, scent. Be aware of any sounds. Are you flying? Walking? Look about you even more. Ask for your power animal to come to you. It may already have joined you! When an animal appears, trust your own intuitive feelings – you will know if this is the power animal meant for you. If you wish, you can ask the animal to show itself to you in four ways. This is a classic confirmation that this is your power animal. I haven’t always found this to be necessary. Respect is important, so ask your animal if it wished to work with you, and if it is willing to come back with you.

Once your power animal agrees to work with you, spend time together. You may ask whatever questions you wish. Take your time, and listen to the wisdom of your animal. Fe sure to thank it for coming to you and agreeing to work with you.

When you are ready, quietly stand up and begin to move…. Dance your animal… that is, move as your animal would do. Return the way you came, back up the tree, to your sacred space. Open it in your usual way.

Journey regularly, at least once a week, with your power animal. Always show it gratitude and respect.

It's good to journal your experiences.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Bealltainn

Re: To Find your Power Animal

Postby Bealltainn » 23 Mar 2010, 16:32

Hi.
In this last period I changed my Power Animal. I think I have 3 different animals that appear in specificate situations.
I know that I must tell anybody which animals are with me, but it would be interesting to know the meaning of their presence.

Edana-Rona

Postby Edana-Rona » 23 Mar 2010, 21:59

I have found my power animal, but I have never called him that. In fact, I am not sure if he is even a power animal. He doesn't have a specific shape, he just changes shape to different animals, but I know he will settle eventually. His name is Demetrie, or Dem. I have never had to meditate to see him. I see him all the time, as he is always with me. What do you think he is? We would really like to figure this out!

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 23 Mar 2010, 23:42

I know this must get really repetitive, but here goes again....

The very best source for information about your power animal/s is from them. You can do this in meditation or journey. Trust what you receive - you really aren't making it up. Talk to them often and get the guidance they offer.

Good luck and happy journeys!

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

ImageImage ImageImage

Bealltainn

Postby Bealltainn » 24 Mar 2010, 19:14

I have found my power animal, but I have never called him that. In fact, I am not sure if he is even a power animal. He doesn't have a specific shape, he just changes shape to different animals, but I know he will settle eventually. His name is Demetrie, or Dem. I have never had to meditate to see him. I see him all the time, as he is always with me. What do you think he is? We would really like to figure this out!
You must ask him: Are you my Animal Power?
He must say YES for 3 times.

Edana-Rona

Postby Edana-Rona » 26 Mar 2010, 16:41

You must ask him: Are you my Animal Power?
He must say YES for 3 times.
Thank you Bealltainn. I have asked him, and he has said no. I think I actually saw my power animal in a dream last night. He is a horse. Thank you for your help!

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 26 Mar 2010, 16:49

Dreams are another powerful way to meet your power animal! again, trust your intuition and check with the animal later, after you wake up. I've met a couple of powerful allies in dreams.

Good luck!
Donata

ImageImage ImageImage

Brigantia
OBOD Bard

Postby Brigantia » 21 May 2011, 03:47

Can this process be done without listening to drumming....sorry but it makes me psychotic bordering on violence (this happens to a number of my friends as well). I've been told that this happens because I'm not much of an earth bound spirit.

Donata
OBOD Druid

Postby Donata » 02 Jul 2011, 21:34

Many find drumming helpful. Personally I prefer a tape I have of women chanting - they are either Sammi or Finnish. It's more soothing for me. I also find drumming can be jarring.

Everyone is different and so our power animals will come to us in their own way. BTW, while it's current belief that you must see your animal 4 times from different directions and that it must ans. you 3 times that it is your power animal, I find that this may be the norm, but isn't necessary. I don't see my animal several times - actually they are waiting so impatiently for me to be aware that it's immediately obvious who they are. Trust your intuition. Don't think you are making it up.

Good luck
Donata

ImageImage ImageImage

Return to “The Shamanic Druid”