natural/organic skin care

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Islamicelt

natural/organic skin care

Post by Islamicelt » 09 Dec 2011, 19:43

Salaams and hello everyone,

I am on a hunt for a good natural/organic skin care line. I have sensitive skin that gets dry very easily so I have to use lotion every single time I get out of the shower. I also get dry in the winter. Therefore, I would really need a thicker lotion without perfumes. I would really like it to smell nice though, so if it has scent from essential oils, that would be awesome.

Ive had my eye on a brand called 100% Pure which I found at a local homeopathic pharmacy today. I used the tester and so far it seems pretty good. The only thing that sucks about natural skin care is that I feel like most of the available scents for it are beany scents like vanilla or cocoa. I like herbal scents or flowery scents. Not beans at all.

Let me know if you guys have one that you love :)
Qur'an 13:2 "And it is He who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm and (flowing) rivers: and fruit of every kind He made in pairs, two and two: He draweth the night as a veil o’er the Day. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who consider!"

http://islamicelt.blogspot.com/

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Re: natural/organic skin care

Post by Cosmic Ash » 10 Dec 2011, 15:58

Hi Islamicelt!
I use Weleda moisture cream for my face. I use the Iris one, which is flowery scented, but they have a whole range for different skin types.
For my body I have used Jason's moisture cream. The one I used to buy was vanilla scented but really good, and they do other fragrances too. These days, though, I use almond oil on my skin and I put a few drops of essential oil in. My favourites are cedarwood, juniper berry and patchouli. Sometimes I make a body scrub where I mix the oil mixture with seasalt and use it the shower. There's no need to moisturise after that.
It's always worth checking the ingredients list before buying a new brand.
Best wishes
CA

Islamicelt

Post by Islamicelt » 13 Dec 2011, 18:17

Cosmic Ash wrote:Hi Islamicelt!
I use Weleda moisture cream for my face. I use the Iris one, which is flowery scented, but they have a whole range for different skin types.
For my body I have used Jason's moisture cream. The one I used to buy was vanilla scented but really good, and they do other fragrances too. These days, though, I use almond oil on my skin and I put a few drops of essential oil in. My favourites are cedarwood, juniper berry and patchouli. Sometimes I make a body scrub where I mix the oil mixture with seasalt and use it the shower. There's no need to moisturise after that.
It's always worth checking the ingredients list before buying a new brand.
Best wishes
CA
Thank you much Cosmic :)

I used to use the Jason lotion but it was so long ago and I dont remember what I thought of it. lol. I also used to use grapeseed oil with a few drops of lavender for scent (almond was too heavy for my skin) but it just didnt seem to want to work with me. I still got dry and gross during the winter.

Right now I am using Kiss My Face's Peaceful Patchouli which I really love. The smell grew on me big time and I love that it doesnt have alcohols in the lotion which are drying and the Peaceful Patchouli doesnt have perfumes. Some Kiss My Face has perfumes in it but I checked the label twice on my bottle and perfume/fragrance was not listed.

I will check out Weleda. Do you think it's thick enough for a sensitive face in a harsh Wisconsin winter?
Qur'an 13:2 "And it is He who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm and (flowing) rivers: and fruit of every kind He made in pairs, two and two: He draweth the night as a veil o’er the Day. Behold, verily in these things there are signs for those who consider!"

Muddy Fox

Post by Muddy Fox » 13 Dec 2011, 19:13

I've just made a blend up for someone who has severe psoriasis that was not responding to the cream prescribed by the doctor and they had been using it daily since last week.
I have used Peach Kernal oil and Evening Primrose oil, with essential oils of Lavender, Tea Tree and Roman Chamomile. I have applied it twice to the affected areas in the last four hours and already the skin is showing an improvement.

Disclaimer: this is purely from personal experience and usage and one should always consult a Doctor/Medical Practioner/Dermatologist before applying any unprescribed creams/ointments or oils to severe/chronic skin conditions.

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Post by Cosmic Ash » 13 Dec 2011, 21:01

I use the moisturising lotion which is quite thin, probably not what you're looking for. The shop didn't have any one time so I got the Day Cream instead which was quite a bit thicker. I don't really know if it would be good enough for you or not. They do have a large range though so there might be something that suits you. :)

Islamicelt

Post by Islamicelt » 14 Dec 2011, 03:22

I actually have been having some issues with my face lately which is why I am asking about natural skin care. My body is totally fine but the skin on my face is very pink. It's not pink like rosacea, but more like a light sunburn all the time, or like I am hot or blushing. The rest of the skin on my body is totally pale (Irish/Scottish genes. lol) but that is also because no skin except my face and hands ever see the sun.

I got to wondering if maybe this was a sunburn issue so I put sunblock on my face everyday which really didnt help much. I still got all pink and blushy. Finally, I started applying moisturizer like 2-3 times a day instead of at night and I am starting to see improvement. I wonder if my pink face was due to dry skin all along and not necessarily sun exposure. Does that sound like something that can happen?

Islamicelt

Post by Islamicelt » 14 Dec 2011, 04:09

Oh, and the natural products that I have been using are Diane Lai's Soothe and Rejuvinate (http://www.dianelai.com/)

and also Sibu (http://www.sibubeauty.com/index.php)

I use the Diane Lai's Soothe moisturizer or the Sibu night cream before bed and after shower and then throughout the day I use the Sibu Repair & Protect because it is lighter (too light for me to use after washing my face).

The products may be a tad pricy but they last a really long time. I really love them so far.

WrenWyrd
OBOD Ovate

Post by WrenWyrd » 17 Dec 2011, 11:10

I would recommend Weleda, Dr. Hauschka (but it's thinner and on the expensive side) and Lush.

I love Lush but it contains a small quantity of preservatives. I find it more moisturizing since it's water-based, whereas the two others are oil-based. Best lotion: Dream Cream.

For me the essential oils in Weleda products tend to be too present, and some contain alcohol which irritates my skin. Their (body, bath, massage) oils however are great.
Hedge-bandit, song-bomb, dart-beak, the wren
hops in the thicket, flirt-eye; shy, brave,
grubbing, winter's scamp, but more than itself–
ten requisite grams of the world's weight.

—Carol Ann Duffy

Islamicelt

Post by Islamicelt » 18 Dec 2011, 16:42

I tried weleda in the store and it felt a little too "wet" and not moisturizing enough for me. I actually have been using Peaceful Patchouli from Kiss My Face and even though KMF isn't as natural as other lotions, it's working wonders. My skin is super soft and really glowing (Ive also been drinking more water).

But I would still love recommendations :) Im always looking for good skincare

Aigeann
OBOD Druid

Post by Aigeann » 30 Dec 2011, 00:11

If I may suggest this....try making your own. I really mean it, you can. Go to your local herbal store (preferably brick and mortar) and start exploring. Essential oils added to their bases may be just the ticket for your needs.

Blessings
ImageImage

katie bridgewater

Post by katie bridgewater » 30 Dec 2011, 01:01

I found when I finally stopped putting stuff on my face and let the natural oils rebalance, my skin problems improved a million times and over. I don't use anything at all except water, and if my face is properly dirty, a tiny amount of olive-oil soap. I also stopped using shampoo at the same time. (see http://druidry.org/board/dhp/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34929). Skin and scalp problems reduced dramatically. I found all the SLS related chemicals are the most obnoxious and are in many products, even stuff that claims to be all natural and non-toxic... :shrug: Even most Weleda toothpaste contains foaming agents, and when I finally switched to Weleda salt toothpaste (which doesn't have anything I couldn't make myself in it) it was a relief.

Fresh air, plenty of water, and a good diet will have more positive effect on skin than even the most 'natural' (what is that anyway) 'beauty' (aren't we all already beautiful?) products.

When I look at faces of really old people, I always find the faces that have had the least crap applied to them seem the most interesting and beautiful, carved by time and experience. And you can tell who has smothered themselves in moisturiser everyday! And as for moisturising, our skin is designed to produce exactly the right amount of protective oil, if only we would let it do so!

I don't have perfect skin, by any means, but the dryness and flakiness, and the acne I used to get stopped once I let my skin do it's own thing!

Silverleaf_Willow
OBOD Ovate

Post by Silverleaf_Willow » 30 Dec 2011, 19:21

katie bridgewater wrote:Fresh air, plenty of water, and a good diet will have more positive effect...
I agree!

I haven't used make-up or store bought face creams/moisturizers for years. My skin stays fairly clear of blemishes and is self-moisturizing most of the time. When I do need a moisture "boost" I usually use a little bit of aloe vera gel mixed with vegetable glycerine ( a little goes a long way) on my face before bed. I let the mix dry on my skin, it may remain a bit sticky and the skin may feel a bit tight after its dry, and rinse with warm water in the morning.
Like going without shampoo products, going without face products needs a bit of an adjustment period.
At 48 I do have some facial lines (that match some gray hairs) but as I spend most of my days out-of-doors I prefer to think of them as my "weathered" look as well as age. As for the gray hairs, I raised two children, I earned those marks of passage!
-silverleaf willow-

ImageImage

stardust
OBOD Ovate

Post by stardust » 23 Jan 2012, 16:12

I´m using Weleda-Products too, aswell as Lavera-Shampoos. All 100% vegan and organic.

afallonia

Post by afallonia » 05 Mar 2012, 21:15

I've thought about Weleda too, but it has alcohol listed as its third ingredient and fragrance as its seventh. No thanks; too drying.

I've been using organic rolled oats to cleanse my face, and it makes a wonderful exfoliator as well. You take a small palmful of oats, run them under warm water until soft, smash then in your hand and then wash your face. It's a little messy, but I've seen fantastic results. It doesn't strip your face of its oils and it leaves your skin feeling very soft. Afterward I put Kiss My Face C the Change serum on, and then I moisturize with Dr. Hauschka Normalizing Day Oil.

Phyto
OBOD Ovate

Post by Phyto » 09 Apr 2012, 21:01

Diet and fluid all have an important aspect. I also think that olive oil following a simple wash helps greatly. Foods rich in Vitamin E such as avocado and some nuts and seeds (if you haven't any issues with allergies) are all important too plus getting good sleep and not drinking toxins such as alcohol all can make a difference imho.
When the wind blows, watch the clouds...

Equidae

Post by Equidae » 10 Apr 2012, 00:20

The Dead Sea brand skin care line is great, and from what I can tell it's all natural. It's been amazing at keeping my eczema in check, but it is a little pricey.
“So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

“Recognize that the very molecules that make up your body, the atoms that construct the molecules, are traceable to the crucibles that were once the centers of high mass stars that exploded their chemically rich guts into the galaxy, enriching pristine gas clouds with the chemistry of life. So that we are all connected to each other biologically, to the earth chemically and to the rest of the universe atomically. That’s kinda cool! That makes me smile and I actually feel quite large at the end of that. It’s not that we are better than the universe, we are part of the universe. We are in the universe and the universe is in us.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Lily
OBOD Ovate

Post by Lily » 10 Apr 2012, 02:27

Still looking?

I made a very rich cream out of extra virgin olive oil and about 20g/500ml of beeswax- love it for dry hands, lips, cracked fingers, feet - a body butter of sorts, could be made even to a softer consistency with less wax for an almost lotion-like texture. just melt the wax in the oil, add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil, e.g. mint ...
bright blessed days, dark sacred nights

Lily

"You cannot reason people out of a position that they did not reason themselves into"
-Ben Goldacre

Ghiúis
OBOD Ovate

Post by Ghiúis » 22 Jun 2012, 23:10

I have a severe allergy to petrochemicals, and have been on a lifelong journey to find alternatives that work well.

Suki has a fantastic line of products for skin care. More pure than Weleda or anything else out there, although their hair care stuff is not quite as good as skin care stuff. Their ethics cannot be faulted.

Terressentials has a hair mud that I have used for 3 years with very good results. Absolutely the best I have found ever.

Finally, 'The Herbal Body Book' ISBN 0-88266-880-3 is a great resource for DIY body care products. I use this book when I cannot find good solutions at the local bio-mart.

Good Luck!

Ghiúis

Ghiúis
OBOD Ovate

Post by Ghiúis » 22 Jun 2012, 23:15

I should say that I lived in Minnesota for 7 years, and this is the skin care stuff I used then. It worked really well for the harsh and dry cold conditions of the upper Midwest.

My ultimate fallback has always been honey, your skin absorbs all it needs and you just wipe the rest off, and it is healing and antibacterial all at once. I have extremely dry and sensitive skin, and it is the best. Always.

Ghiúis

Aghaveagh

Post by Aghaveagh » 26 Jun 2012, 14:24

Ghiúis,

Thank you very much for the book recommendation. I just found myself a copy. I've got eczema and psoriasis issues, and I'm always looking for remedies I can make myself from ingredients I can pronounce.

To Islamicelt,
If you are still looking,
I want to second the suggestion by Ghiúis regarding honey. My DH jokingly says that I have the permanent smell of honey to my skin, I use it so often. I get spots in the bend of my elbow that dry out, crack open, and are very painful. If I manage to catch them with some honey before they get to that point, it works wonders.
I know honey has it's own set of complications regarding how it is harvested, but if you are comfortable buying it, give it a try!

Also, I don't know if you ever mentioned if your problem was really a sunburn, or just the natural look of your skin (my face is also a consistent shade of pink, while the rest of me is lily white :-) ), but oatmeal pastes work great for sunburns. Here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/50421 ... rned-skin/ is a great link with quick info on that.
Blessings,
Sparrow

Return to “Health and Healing”