Natural Remedies for pain

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
TristessaKC

Natural Remedies for pain

Post by TristessaKC » 25 Mar 2014, 22:57

I have severe arthritis in my knees, and pretty much every other joint in my body. I have a bad back injury from playing softball. I destroyed two disks and cracked a couple vertibre (I know I spelled it wrong). I have a pinched nerve in my neck, a torn meniscus in my left knee after a fall, a cracked rib (it healed wrong). I've been to chiropractors and this gives me temporary relief. I'm sick of popping pills and my tolerance to them is beginning to build up. My muscles are always so tight. I know a lot of it is stress. I'm only 30 and I hate always being in pain. I am overweight and I have lost a considerable amount of weight which has helped a lot. I just miss physical activity and I've tried to do it but it's just so painful. I used to run everyday. I just want to go to a batting cage and hit some balls. Chenzen and I go for walks and afterward my hips, knees and back just ache. I tried doing the swinging motion like I was swinging a bat and OUCH.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to relieve some of this? :thinking:

Thank you!
Life is not about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain

illion
OBOD Ovate

Re: Natural Remedies for pain

Post by illion » 26 Mar 2014, 05:32

Oh, I'm so sorry for you :( It doesn't seem very nice to be in so much pain all the time.

I really don't know about any natural pain relievers that could help you, but I just wanted to pop in with a few words about physical training. Have you tried to walk just as short a walk as it doesn't make you hurt that much? It doesn't have to be more than a few metres or a hundred metres or...well, whatever you think you can. Do the same distance every day, and after a while increase the length. Don't walk faster than you can. It doesn't have to be much at all.

I don't know if this is a good advice for you, but this approach helped me a lot after a year I had been so sick that I almost couldn't get up from the sofa. I found myself a path in the forest, walked a few metres, slept on the moss for half an hour and walked back. I felt much better after a while with this treatment both mentally and physically, but I don't know if it would help you.

I wish you all the good luck with your health problems :)
Image Image

xidia
OBOD Ovate

Post by xidia » 26 Mar 2014, 09:47

For the muscular part, I really can't recommend a deep tissue massage from a sports therapist enough. It'll hurt. It'll really hurt. But, once they've worked out the knots and scar tissue and tension, you will feel a whole heap better. (I have a double scoliotic curve, and it takes a combination of deep tissue and chiro to keep me manageable.)

You can also use energy flow visualizations: ground/connect yourself the earth and draw healing energy (often pink, but not always) and visualise it working its way into all the sore bits. Optionally, visualise all the painful energy leaving your body, and being replaced by the healing energy. (I tend to use this for acute pain, and/or if I can't get to a professional for a day or two). You could also look into reiki, which I believe has a much more structured way of teaching you to manage energy flows in the body.

Fire oak
OBOD Ovate

Post by Fire oak » 26 Mar 2014, 11:50

I was going to suggest massage too or Bowen therapy if there is anyone near you who practices. After a car accident when massage was too much Bowen helped realign my body and also released a lot of the anger and frustration I'd been feeling.

I also used Reiki (I'm a Reiki Master) after the accident and confused my doctor by refusing any pain relief, it really does help.

Sometimes it is about trying a few things and finding what works. This changes over time as your body heals too.
Fire Oak

ImageImage

Caorthann
OBOD Ovate

Post by Caorthann » 26 Mar 2014, 12:13

I agree with the previous posts re: massage and try a non weight bearing exercise like swimming ,it will stress your joints and muscles less than walking or hitting balls .

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Post by Donata » 29 Mar 2014, 19:06

I can't diagnose or recommend any supplement - however, I can let you know that I find relief from arthritis pain with Glucosamine with Chondroiton. I also to regularly to a gentle chiropractor. He does energy work, no cracking. Helps very much.
I agree that exercise helps. I like Tai Chi.

Good luck
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

TristessaKC

Post by TristessaKC » 29 Mar 2014, 19:20

I've tried Glucosamine and Chondroiton. It didn't really do anything for me and it made my breath bad :shrug: :oops:

Chenzen has been rubbing my back which has helped considerably. He also found that by picking me up a certain way pops my back in a place I can't get helps too.

I haven't gone for a walk in a couple days. I've been sitting a lot at work...not the best, kinda stiff from that.

Anyway, I'm going to try your other suggestions. Thank you so much!

EagleEye

Post by EagleEye » 19 Apr 2014, 02:59

You may want to take a look the quality of your sleep, too. I've found that my fibromyalgia pain is reduced a lot with consistent moderate exercise and sufficient sleep. Not getting enough of either makes my muscles tighten up and the pain gets worse. I'll also ice my knees when they're acting up. Maybe you could get some recommendations from a physical therapist on what would be appropriate for you in terms of exercise and how much would be OK?

I recently started taking turmeric in caplet form after looking into the 'anti-inflammation diet'. So far, it seems to have helped.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon!
Let us drink the Sun
and paint every tongue
with the light of Hosts
with honey.

TristessaKC

Post by TristessaKC » 24 Jun 2014, 08:57

I think a lot of it has to do with stress. I've noticed that when I am more stressed the pain is worse. Also, my back. I do a lot of bending at work because I am tall and the counters are pretty low. I am also VERY large chested. I am going to start looking into getting them reduced. I just have to find a doctor (I really, really don't like doctors!) and find one that takes my insurance. Hopefully it will cover most if not all of it. Chenzen has been rubbing my back...it's best when he gets the muscles right next to my spine. The relief I feel after he does it is so....ahhhh.

I haven't been sleeping the best either. I do agree that good sleep helps.

I'll have to do some research on the turmeric. I'm very sensitive to medications and herbs and the like so I like to do some investigating before I try anything.

Thank you all!

Skogsvandrare
OBOD Bard

Post by Skogsvandrare » 25 Jun 2014, 09:58

Unless you have access to opiods -- no comments on any *other* aspects on that -- the best you can do for pain is salicylic acid, i.e. almost the same stuff as is in asprin tablets. But beware: they are harder on the stomach than the acetylated version you buy in the pharmacy/chemists/drug store.

The classical sources are the bark and leaves of any plant of the Salix genus (willows, etc). Another source is meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria), there you use the leaves and flowers (and get the methylsalicylate instead, but that makes very little difference once it is inside the body). In either case about 3 dl (3/10 of a litre) in 0.5 litres of boiling water, keep simmering for 20 min or so gives you about one asprin tablets worth.
images/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gifimages/icons/goldharp.gif

Mannan

Post by Mannan » 26 Aug 2014, 13:03

Many of the 'salicylates' in the herbs mentioned have no aspirin-like activity, and as some of these herbs were traditionally used to ease indigestion, I wouldn't worry - they are way safer than aspirin. They are not converted to aspirin in the body.
I'd recommend chewing willow shoots for mild pain such as headaches. As well as being effective, a nice walk in the springtime to go and find some makes it all the more effective!
The psychological aspects of pain cannot be understated. The cycle of pain>caution>hypervigilance>introspection chronically amplifies the perception of pain. Chronic analgesic use causes dependence and 'rebound pain', further complicating things. It all becomes 'crippling' and makes you a helpless dependent wreck, inevitably depressed.
By engaging in activities which avoid the above factors you can maintain a centred sense of independence: you may be a sufferer, but you won't be a 'victim'. If you suffer bravely, with dignity and (on the whole) in silence, you will find that other people behave towards you in a more 'healing' and nourishing manner.

Mountainheart
OBOD Bard

Post by Mountainheart » 27 Aug 2014, 16:17

I've found that soft blue cheeses such as Roquefort seem to have an anti-inflammatory effect; as does ginger.

Thx
David

Mannan

Post by Mannan » 29 Oct 2014, 02:09

Fish oils are also anti-inflammatory. They contain eicosopantenoids (I think!)...

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Post by DaRC » 30 Oct 2014, 12:08

Also try something like Yoga, Tai-Chi or Pilates and build up a daily practice. When damaged the body, muscles in particular, can get stuck in the painful position during healing.

A daily practice, just 15-20 minutes, of mastering certain positions can be a way of re-balancing the body and reducing the pain. At the start it may take 5 minutes to just do 1 position. So in the 15-20 minutes you may only manage a few.
Daily practice will mean that you just chip away at it. After 3 months you will (hopefully) find those few positions now only take you 10 minutes... so add more positions.

Our bodies are designed to move & the systems within it, such as the lymphatic, respond well to movement which helps the body heal itself.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

Return to “Health and Healing”