Stoptober (smoking) support group

Discuss health and harmony of the body, spirit, the Earth, and environment...
Forum rules
Prior to administering anything, homeopathic or conventional to anyone's diet, pets especially, we feel that personal health history must be considered, and a medical professional should be consulted. There are many instances where even the most "harmless" additive has had contraindications and caused more harm than good. We believe everyone here is responsible and understands that, but it is important to re-state.
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Stoptober (smoking) support group

Postby PeteBranduir » 30 Sep 2014, 19:27

I think this is the most appropriate place for this. If I'm doing anything wrong, please let me know and I'll stop.

Anyway, it's the first day of October tomorrow and, for a large number of British smokers, this marks the start of the 28 day challenge of Stoptober. The idea being that if you can go smoke free for 28 days then you're 5 times more likely to quit for good.

I'm making an attempt at it and I was wondering if anyone else here is. Then I thought it might be good for us quitters to support each other in this tough time.

Put simply, I couldn't find one so I though a stop smoking help thread might be a good thing to have. Anyone care to join me?
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

DJ Droood
OBOD Druid

Re: Stoptober (smoking) support group

Postby DJ Droood » 01 Oct 2014, 02:22

Are e-cigs popular in your area? I know a couple of smokers who have made the transition quite effortlessly, and i myself indulge occasionally....sure, they still feed a nicotine habit, but they are possibly less harmful, far less stinky and obnoxious, and their use far more stealthy. Over here, they inhabit a legal grey area, and there are no definitive health studies that I am aware of, but some anti-smoking advocates (at least the one I heard on the radio) are supporting them as a "clean" (water vapour instead of smoke), less harmful alternative. Similarly, vaporizing of marijuana is a more socially respectful way to consume that product, imo...you don't stink out your neighbours or your clothing or your breath ....I think vaping will become a growing trend, and one that may even save some lives.
2010 LI
2011 LI
2013 BS
12/10-Ancestors
"If organized religion is the opium of the masses, then disorganized religion is the marijuana of the lunatic fringe."
Kerry Thornley

Badger Bob
OBOD Druid

Postby Badger Bob » 01 Oct 2014, 08:51

E-cigs are not only popular over here they virtually qualify as a hobby. You can see kids with their steampunk vapourisers most places on a Saturday night, weird brass and chrome contraptions with dials, gauges and cogwheels. Customised vaping is the cool thing to do these days, I heard a vaper calling a regular smoker an "analogue vaper" a few months ago. Even one-horse towns have got rid of the horse and put a Mr Smoke shop or similar in its place. I am almost tempted to try one and I stopped smoking twenty years ago!

I stopped smoking using snuff when I went down't pit, virtually all miners used snuff back then as it helps to get the black clag out of your nostrils on a regular basis. The only problem now is that I have been a very low level snuffer ever since. I still enjoy a pinch or five once or twice a week.

So go for it Pete, you won't regret it. The morning coughs stop after a couple of weeks, you start to taste food again and the headachey, jittery phase doesn't actually last that long at all. It will be the best decision you ever made and you can then become a self-righteous ex-smoker like me :wink:

PeteBranduir
OBOD Bard

Postby PeteBranduir » 01 Oct 2014, 20:31

Are e-cigs popular in your area?
Extraordinarily popular. See the above comment for more details.
E-cigs are not only popular over here they virtually qualify as a hobby. You can see kids with their steampunk vapourisers most places on a Saturday night, weird brass and chrome contraptions with dials, gauges and cogwheels. Customised vaping is the cool thing to do these days, I heard a vaper calling a regular smoker an "analogue vaper" a few months ago. Even one-horse towns have got rid of the horse and put a Mr Smoke shop or similar in its place. I am almost tempted to try one and I stopped smoking twenty years ago!

I stopped smoking using snuff when I went down't pit, virtually all miners used snuff back then as it helps to get the black clag out of your nostrils on a regular basis. The only problem now is that I have been a very low level snuffer ever since. I still enjoy a pinch or five once or twice a week.

So go for it Pete, you won't regret it. The morning coughs stop after a couple of weeks, you start to taste food again and the headachey, jittery phase doesn't actually last that long at all. It will be the best decision you ever made and you can then become a self-righteous ex-smoker like me :wink:
I've tried them myself. Kept the cravings only just at bay, though at the now 20hr mark I feel like it didn't really have even that effect. Had to stop it because (apart from losing the blasted thing) it gave me....let's just say that I finally understand how the middlingly severely lactose intolerant feel after a bowl of ice cream.

I found out after that there's been surprisingly little research done into their safety, though this may have changed now.

So yeah, it's the boxing day sandwich route for me. But I'm doing better than I thought. This time next year, Bob, we'll have to meet up and cough sarcastically at smokers somewhere.
If at first you don't succeed, I hope it wasn't brain surgery.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Return to “Health and Healing”