BOAR - TORC

Subforum for the study of the Druid Animal Oracle
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

BOAR - TORC

Post by Donata » 02 Feb 2007, 00:53

The Warrior Spirit, Leadership, Direction.

The card shows a boar in the forest. In the foreground lies a bronze carynx, with its mouth in the form of a boar's head. Such a battle-trumpet has been found in Grampian, Scotland. By the path, and also from Scotland, is the Boar Stone, beside which as all Pictish kings took their oaths. To one side we also see the discarded bronze helmet of a warrior, complete with boar crest - as found in Powys Wales. In the foreground grow mugwort, dandelion, and wild asparagus.

Torc can open you to the warrior spirit, and help you to find your direction in life.He calls you into the forest to discover a secret about yourself and about the world. The ritual boar-paths exist in the Inner world too, and if you follow them you will come face to face with an animal embodying the wild and untamed power that lives within each of us. Stare closely at him and you will discover he is a representative of the Goddess - his skin can heal you, he can inspire you to write music and poetry, his primal power can make you leader or chief. See if you can use your wildness and your energy for genuine acts of heroism in a world hat longs for insight and healing.

The Divine Hunt was seen as more than sport. It was a sacred act in which the hunter and the hunted entered into a special relationship The Hunt became the symbol for the journey of the Spirit - in which both life and death play their part, and in which healing is found through the process of hunting. The Celts linked these two concepts.
We are called to renew ourselves. In the forest in the ritual boar-path. First we must ask for the blessing of the gods/dess. Then if we dare to follow the path into the darkness, we will come face to face with the terrifying figure of the Wild Boar. If we face him with courage he will allow us to absorb some of his power.
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Post by Tynan Elder Oak » 09 Feb 2007, 23:17

do you think that could be why the neck ornament indicating power and wuthority is/was called a torc?

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Post by Donata » 09 Feb 2007, 23:22

Interesting idea! maybe! does anyone know?

Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Post by Tynan Elder Oak » 26 Mar 2007, 16:48

I thought I saw something last week on the Irish language site... but couldn't find it again... and I am sure it related torc/boar and leadership together.

scopulus
OBOD Ovate

Post by scopulus » 26 Mar 2007, 19:32

I know that in some Celtic tribes the boar was described as the most powerfull animal, a very strong totem. Since boars are very protective about their family, might indicate this leadership abilities.. as he guides his family to safe territory.I am unsure where it was however, in a book or on a site. Perhaps someone else can help me on this.

Warmest regards.
Words, mere words, Vivid, clear and sometimes Cruel!!!
Yet ... they have a subtle magic in them.

'Oscar Wilde' The picture of Dorian Gray.

Faolan
OBOD Bard

Re: BOAR - TORC

Post by Faolan » 03 Jan 2008, 21:49

Arthur, even though his name comes from Art or Artos, the Bear, was known as the Boar of Cornwall!
Faolan /|\

~~~
If a man walks in the woods for love of them half of each day,
he is in danger of being regarded as a loafer.
But if he spends his days as a speculator,
shearing off those woods and making the earth bald before her time,
he is deemed an industrious and enterprising citizen.
-Thoreau

Toadflax
OBOD Druid

Re:

Post by Toadflax » 27 Feb 2009, 17:37

Tynan Elder Oak wrote:do you think that could be why the neck ornament indicating power and wuthority is/was called a torc?
Donata wrote:Interesting idea! maybe! does anyone know?

Donata
I seem to have come in on this discussion a couple of years late :hiya: but I've just looked Torc up in the Oxford English Dictionary online... it says the derivation of Torc as a neck ornament is from the Latin torques/torquis meaning 'a twisted neck-chain or collar' .

Can't help with the Irish derivation I'm afraid...

Toadflax

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Post by Tynan Elder Oak » 27 Feb 2009, 19:03

Thanks for that.... i still wonder though.

Toadflax
OBOD Druid

Post by Toadflax » 28 Feb 2009, 10:54

Tynan Elder Oak wrote:Thanks for that.... i still wonder though.
Me too. It's possible I suppose that the Romans took the root of their 'Latin' word from the Celts in the first place. Or it could be a Latin word coined by antiquarians in the seventeenth century. If I remember correctly (don't have the OED in front of me now) the etymological notes on the OED seemed to suggest the word's first recorded use was around that time. I can check again when I'm back at work. You really need a more learned linguist than I am!

Toadflax

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Post by Tynan Elder Oak » 28 Feb 2009, 17:42

well at least you are a linguist ! lol I still have problems with English !!! :)

Toadflax
OBOD Druid

Post by Toadflax » 01 Mar 2009, 11:08

Tynan Elder Oak wrote:well at least you are a linguist ! lol I still have problems with English !!! :)
Don't we all? Such a rambling language with so many words from other different languages in it! Anyway, as usual the answer is a resounding 'don't know' on this one :grin:

Toadflax

Kernos
OBOD Druid

Post by Kernos » 01 Mar 2009, 15:57

Something to think about... The boar was a chthonic symbol to the pre-christian Celts. See "The Role of the Boar in Celtic Iconography and Myth"

http://www.writer2001.com/boars.htm

:zen:
ImageImageImageHelp I'm Falling Thru A Hole in the Flag

"Time is the Image of Eternity."

Time is the Fire in which we burn.

aine of cnocaine

Post by aine of cnocaine » 24 May 2009, 21:55

is/was called a torc?[quote][/quote]

In Irish history its a thick solid gold necklace which was worn by the High Kings and Clan leader and/or his immediate family. A sign of high status/warrior/knowledge.

The Irish History museum in Dublin has a large selection from Iron/Copper age until more recent times - I think they were also worn by Iceni in Uk, as there are mentions of Boadicea wearing one in battle to show her status.

Nowadays you see them in a lot in traditional Greek jewelry shops with sheep/goat/snake heads on the ends - very pretty but the original purpose is long lost in history.

Toadflax
OBOD Druid

Post by Toadflax » 24 May 2009, 22:12

I've just had a thought re the derivation of torc (neck ornament) - if it's from the latin torquis... presumably the same root as torque (spelling?) in car engines - that has something to do with twisting too, doesn't it? (I watch Top Gear, but don't understand all the technical stuff :D )

Toadflax

LuisV
OBOD Bard

Post by LuisV » 12 Dec 2009, 08:28

Hi all,

Sorry but fair warning this will be a bit of long a post. The following is a direct quote from John Rhy's book, "Celtic Folklore; Welsh and Manx." On page 413 it begins thus:

"Let us consider the Hunt somewhat in more detail, with special reference to the names mentioned; and let us begin with that of Twrch Trwyth: the word Twrch means the male of a beast of the swine kind,, and twrch coed, 'a wood pig,' is a wild boar, while twrch daear, 'and earth pig,' is the word in North Wales for a mole...the word orc occures in the genitive as uirc, and it means a 'pig' or 'boar;' in fact it is, with the usual Celtic loss of the consonant p, the exact Goidelic equivalent of the Latin porcus, genitive porci. "

He continues: "But we have here a discrepancy, which the reader will have noticed, for twrch is not the same word as Irish orc, the nearest form to be expected in Welsh being Wrch, not Twrch; but such a word as Wrch does not, so far as I know, exist. Now did the Welsh render orc by a different word unrelated to the Goidelic one which they heard? I think not; for it is remarkable that Irish has besides orc a word torc (emphasis mine), meaning 'a boar,'and torc is exactly the Welsh twrch."

So here Mr. Rhys suggests that the etymology of Torc fits nicely with its Welsh equivalent. Here we also have the Latin transliteration of "torc," or its Goidelic equivalents, to the Latin porcus (hence, pork). To be honest, when I read "orc" in this snippet the first thing that came to my mind were J.R.R. Tolkien's "Orcs." For a moment I lapsed into a fantastical mind-set...but I digress. :whistle:

The Gaelic word for what the Romans called torques is "munice" and its Welsh equivalent is "mwnci." The etymology is as follows:

Muin: the back, Irish muin, Early Irish muin, back, neck; Welsh mwn, neck: *moni-, neck; Sanskrit mányâ, neck; Latin monile, necklace; Old High Germanmenni, neck ornaments, Anglo-Saxon mene, neck-chain; Ch.Slavonic monisto, necklace (Source: MacBain's Dictionary - http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/mb27.html)

Researching this helped me a lot. Hope it helps somewhat :D

Bright Blessings,
~Oracle~
Image Image

Return to “Druid Animal Oracle (DAO) Study Group”