What do people use the DAO for?

Subforum for the study of the Druid Animal Oracle
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Greygnome
OBOD Bard

What do people use the DAO for?

Postby Greygnome » 08 Jun 2007, 23:20

I have used the DAO, Tarot and other packs over the years and find that Tarot is good for giving me more direct, sometimes startlingly accurate observations on my query.  DAO readings seem more related to pschological/spiritual underlying patterns so I have used DAO more for queries about motivations, directions etc rather than specific advice.  What is the experience of others?

All the best

Greygnome

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Postby Donata » 09 Jun 2007, 00:29

I agree with your assessment. I also use the DAO for meditation visualization.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Greygnome
OBOD Bard

Meditation using DAO

Postby Greygnome » 11 Jun 2007, 23:08

Thanks for your reply Donata.  When you say meditation visualization, how do you apply this to the DAO?  I have come across similiar ideas with Tarot where one 'meets' the archetypes in a guided meditation, or is it a case of dialogue with the animal archetype?

BB

Greygnome

Donata
OBOD Druid
Location: Watching the seasons change in the woods at my home in Western NY

Re: Meditation using DAO

Postby Donata » 11 Jun 2007, 23:56

Thanks for your reply Donata.  When you say meditation visualization, how do you apply this to the DAO?  I have come across similiar ideas with Tarot where one 'meets' the archetypes in a guided meditation, or is it a case of dialogue with the animal archetype?
Both. I focus on a card, and visualize meeting the animal. We may have a conversation or I may have inspiration from viewing the card in a meditative state. Similar to doing it with a Tarot card.

BB
Donata
In some mysterious and wonderful way you are part of everything. And in that same mysterious and wonderful way, everything is a part of you. ---Nippawanock, ARAPAHOE

If I destroy you, I destroy myself. If I honor you, I honor myself. --- Hunbatz Men, MAYAN ELDER

http://www.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com
http://www.Donata.ChrysalisHeartCenter.com

The Medicine Wheel: Path of the Heart (book available through Amazon.com)

ImageImage ImageImage

Lizzy
OBOD Druid

Postby Lizzy » 12 Jun 2007, 11:44

Bit boring, but I agree as well Greygnome.

I use the animal oracle for insight into my own emotions/my emotional state of mind.

Tarot is more to bring my subconcious to a concious level.

I've never used it as a meditation form however, now why didn't I think of that? Thanks Donata!  :shake:

shirley mclaren
OBOD Ovate

Postby shirley mclaren » 13 Jun 2007, 10:37

I use the DAO now and again if I have a question or problem that I just can't seem to sort out.  It has been very helpful sometimes.

BB

Shirley
ALL THAT WE ARE IS THE RESULT OF WHAT WE HAVE THOUGHT

Tynan Elder Oak
OBOD Druid

Postby Tynan Elder Oak » 11 Jul 2007, 09:50

I use the animal oracle to see trends also.  Sometimes it helps me to see things that I hadn't considered and at others it has helped me to confirm what it was I thought I saw but didn't have teh confidence to say for sure that it WAS what I saw.  If that makes sense to any one out there.  :)

Aylyn
OBOD Bard

Postby Aylyn » 11 Jul 2007, 11:22

I use the DAO every morning, trying to find out which animal is foing to be my companion during the day. It is astonishing that very often the same animals seem to come again and again, and then they change for a while - seems to have something to do with my state of mind.

I also use it as decribed before, to meditate on my emotional state of mind, but in the last year it has also started out as a sign which God/ Goddess is currently taking lead role in my life. For Example: This morning I got the Owl, and she is for me a symbol of Cerridwen - darkness and wisdom. So I know She is back in my life for a while...

Also, I associate the Bull and the Wren with Taranis, the Raven with Morrigan and Horse with Rhiannon (what else...) Not all animals have a link to the Gods for me, but it seems the ones that have come up more often...

Image Image Two things are in abundance in the universe: hydrogen and stupidity.

Please help my dragons grow: Image

Deamond
OBOD Bard

Re: What do people use the DAO for?

Postby Deamond » 07 Jul 2008, 13:41

i use it for guidence to questions and advise.
and i use it to give advise to my friends if they wish for me to do one.
We must look to our past to improve our future.

Snægl
OBOD Ovate

Postby Snægl » 07 Jul 2008, 16:58

I tend to use the DAO as a "bonus card" for a tarot reading. Basically, it give the querent a set of qualities upon which to focus the outcome of the reading. For example, if there are hard times ahead, and the querent draws a Swan, I would conclude that it is through love that they will best be able to rise to the occasion.

In my personal practice, I draw one animal, a tarot card, and a rune in the morning, to see what the landwights, gods, and ancestors have in store for me.
Forþan bið andgit æghwær selest ferðes foreþanc. :zen:
Therefore, in every respect understanding is best, and deliberation of spirit.
-- Beowulf 1059–1060
ImageImageThe Druid's Well Blog

Corvin

Postby Corvin » 10 Mar 2009, 01:02

At this point, i just like animal wisdom and find it helpful. i have already learned some things about myself...

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 11 Mar 2009, 08:07

I haven't had the DAO for so very long yet, so I guess I'm in the process of getting to know it, but what I've already found out is that it is a very good tool to find out what other people's motifs in a situation are :wink:

Illion
:paw:

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 11 Mar 2009, 09:17

Really pleased to have found this thread as I just bought the DAO at the weekend and it has given me a lot of suggestions of how to work with it, at the moment I'm just enjoying reading through the text with the cards and learning the pronunciation of the Gaelic names. I'm also in spare moments in the day trying to recall what the text says, though it's quite hard oiling up the wheels of my memory. Hopefully when I've got a bit of a grounding it will become more intuitive and personal, what I like is the meaning speaks through the paintings.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 11 Mar 2009, 09:18

Really pleased to have found this thread as I just bought the DAO at the weekend and it has given me a lot of suggestions of how to work with it, at the moment I'm just enjoying reading through the text with the cards and learning the pronunciation of the Gaelic names. I'm also in spare moments in the day trying to recall what the text says, though it's quite hard oiling up the wheels of my memory. Hopefully when I've got a bit of a grounding it will become more intuitive and personal, what I like is the meaning speaks through the paintings.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

Corvin

Postby Corvin » 11 Mar 2009, 12:56

Does anyone notice animal traits and energies in people and social groups?

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 12 Mar 2009, 07:04

Yes, Corvin.

The spirit of the animals can clearly be seen in people and social groups. And this is what I use the DAO for, otherwise I prefer the Tarot. I sometimes think that the Tarot is not so good at personal traits, but the DAO shows this very well. I use the DruidCraft with the Tarot and I think it is very good.

We had a situation with mining in our neigbourhood. The Friends of the Earth had made a report that said that the environment had suffered and that things needed to be done to secure people using the areas surrounding the mines. Our school and our kindergarten is placed not so long from the mines, a creek is running down from the mine areas and towards the children's playground. The principal of the school said that the report looked more dramatic than it was and that we shouldn't worry about it. I drew one card for the principal and one for the Friends of the Earth from the DAO. I don't remember which card came up right now. But I found out that both were right. Friends of the Earth were right in their report about the dangers the mining had made in the environment, while the principal was right when he said that there wasn't anything we could do about it now, it was too late, we had to learn to live with it..

I think the cards showed the different motifs of the opposing opinions in this situation, and it was useful when I was about to work with this situation.

Sometimes it is useful to know about people's motifs and traits as long as it doesn't become poking in other people's private affairs.

Illion

bohemian
OBOD Ovate

Postby bohemian » 12 Mar 2009, 10:26

Can I ask about doing readings for other people? I've wondered about this in the past... I've drawn cards for myself and got good responses, its down to interpretation and what the card means to me.
If do it for someone else, do they have to be there and pick the card and then interpret it for themself? Or can you draw and interpret on someone elses behalf without them being there? What made me wonder in that case was that the interpretation would be mine and not theirs.
Image Image

"The near fearless braver of nebula shrouded horned beasts, defier of blighting cold and fidgety endurer of sweeping sands"

2009 LI
2010 IL

illion
OBOD Ovate

Postby illion » 12 Mar 2009, 11:11

The person you are doing a reading for does not need to be there, but I like to have a focal point as a birthdate when I do it. The interpretations of the cards are mine.

Illion

Vorador
OBOD Bard

Postby Vorador » 27 Jul 2010, 04:02

I haven't used my DAO cards for about a year. I did a reading about someone else and it was too precise. Scared me a lot.
"Vigilance is our shield, which protects us from swallowed pasts. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future." Thief, The Dark Project. Spoken by Hammerites

"Don't Panic" HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"Excellence is the result of doing more then others think is wise; risking more then others think is safe; dreaming more then others think is practical; and expecting more then others think is possible."

Ciar

Postby Ciar » 24 Apr 2013, 21:55

I own both the Druid Animal and Plant Oracles and I use them as an alternative to other tarot decks I own. Usually, when I use one of the Druid Oracles I will only pull one card for a reading. With the traditional tarot I like to mix it up :)

Return to “Druid Animal Oracle (DAO) Study Group”