Toad

Subforum for the study of the Druid Animal Oracle
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
ravenfolk

Toad

Postby ravenfolk » 25 Jun 2010, 05:40

I have not yet received my Druid Animal Oracle cards as of yet...soooo I was wondering if there is a toad card and if there is, what does it say about the toad?
Thanks for sharing! :)

ravenfolk
:ravens:
~~~Oran Mor~~~Edgewalker~~~

Cosmic Ash
OBOD Druid

Re: Toad

Postby Cosmic Ash » 25 Jun 2010, 22:26

Hi Ravenfolk,
Sorry there's no toad in the DAO, but there is a frog. It's keywords are sensitivity, medicine, hidden beauty and power, but I would think that Toad's would be different.
There are several blank cards included so you could make your own Toad card. Think about what it means to you. You could look at how it lives for clues to its meaning, or look at how it appears in myths and stories. Ooo this is starting to sound like a fun project!!
Hope that's some help :where: ,
CA

Argenta

Postby Argenta » 26 Jun 2010, 06:24

What's the difference between toads and frogs?
I am not young enough to know everything. (O.W.)

ravenfolk

Postby ravenfolk » 26 Jun 2010, 20:59

No toad card huh...okay I will do some research. :where: Thanks for the suggestion of making my own card, it does sound like a fun project. I think that toads primarily live on land... :read: ????
Anyone who wants to join in the search for toad meanings and such are welcome to come along. :)

ravenfolk

ravenfolk

Postby ravenfolk » 27 Jun 2010, 00:34

:hiya: Hey everyone, below is an excerpt from an article I came across on line...

"Frogs and toads have always seemed to be close to the mythic origin of life. When relaxed, they have almost the form of a ball, the most primeval of shapes. They are found mostly in ponds or in moist areas that suggest the chaos out of which living things were created.

People have long believed that frogs were generated spontaneously out of earth and water and that they could survive for centuries in stone. Frogs also seemed to embody fertility when people observed their copulation, which can last for several days. The female frog will often lay tens of thousands of eggs every year. The Egyptian hieroglyphic sign for “one hundred thousand” was a tadpole (Houlihan, p. 122). The transformation of a tadpole into a frog has been a model for all of the myriad metamorphoses in myth and legend. That is why traditional stories so often contain frogs that are transformed into men or women. Evolutionary theory partially confirms the intuition of early mythologists about the primal origin of frogs, since fossils of frogs have been found going back at least 37 million years. The popular distinction between frogs and toads is not fully recognized by professional biologists. Both groups of amphibians are members of the order Anura, and they are almost interchangeable in myth and legend. The word toad is generally, though not always, used for creatures of the family Bufonidae, which have short legs, rough skin, and spend much of their time on land. Toads are generally associated with cultivated places such as gardens, as well as with dark magic. But frog and toad, as the terms are often used, seem almost like words for different aspects of a single creature."

Read more: http://socyberty.com/folklore/toads-and ... z0s0JIf7UI

Here is another link that might interest you all.
http://www.shadowdrake.com/toad.html

ravenfolk

Return to “Druid Animal Oracle (DAO) Study Group”