EARTH DRAGON HELP

Subforum for the study of the Druid Animal Oracle
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
seandmryan

EARTH DRAGON HELP

Postby seandmryan » 07 Mar 2011, 00:49

hi
My DAO is at my partners house so could anyone assist - with any thoughts ?
I went for a long walk today as I did I asked the universe for a sign to hep me in the crossroads Im at at the moment .
In the middle of a field I came across a secluded long barrow I've never seen before ( I live in WIltshire UK so its not that unusual) - I decided to sit on the barrow and journey with my drumming tracks on my iphone(yes when old meets new).

Anyway I was transported really quickly into the depths with an earth dragon and then had those strange feeling of people dancing with crows heads and bulls and badgers heads.

If I'm really honest I havn't really studied the dragons that much in the pack but then again It was a Yule gift - ironically form the person who has possession of then right now !

If anyone could shed any light any thoughts be really grateful ?
I wonder what the message is ?Or maybe i was just connecting to the spirits of the place ?
Thanks and blessings,

Sean
Bardic student.
eggoftruth
http://www.eggoftruth.com

DaRC
OBOD Ovate

Re: EARTH DRAGON HELP

Postby DaRC » 09 Mar 2011, 13:40

I must admit I've not got the DAO, I have the plant one, so i can't specifically help you.

The main reference within the Celtic world is in the Mabinogion with regards to the Red / White dragon's fighting
http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/mab/mab31.htm
although they are more closely related to the Welsh and the English fighting for the land.

When I think of Earth Dragon's I think of 2 things - the Green Dragon and the Glastonbury Dragon field.
The Green Dragon, tends to remind me of pubs which then leads me to Hops, the Green Man and the Green Knight. The vegetative earth energies hidden below the landscape. The Green Dragon is often depicted as the one that St. George slayed and thus Christianity's triumph over Pagan belief or control of the natural world.

Perhaps, without the DAO, you could make your own connections?
The dancing with animal heads certainly seems to relate to an earlier time when people lived closer to the earth's energies.
Most dear is fire to the sons of men,
most sweet the sight of the sun;
good is health if one can but keep it,
and to live a life without shame. (Havamal 68)
http://gewessiman.blogspot.co.uk Image

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 09 Mar 2011, 14:37

hi Seandmryan,
Having a copy of the DAO to hand this is part of what it says - of course for you to interpret.

The Earth Dragon brings us face to face with our own potential, our own treasure house of riches which we can learn to use. At the same time we discover our own beauty and potential we can begin to see it in others and in the earth around us. Earth dragons are barrow guardians. Each of us has a dragon guarding our inner riches. Concerned that non should despoil these treasures of our innermost self the dragon can sometimes deny access to these rescources. If we can face the dragon guardian in the treasure house of our own soul and otherworld with sincerity and humility it may well guide us to the heart of the world to find inspiration and courage to be reborn in time and space.

Meditating with badger I have found him to be a guardian and re-teller of ancient knowledge and the knowledge of the tribe, a powerful ally.
Bull, although of the earth is linked with the sky and heavens. Bull is associated with wealth fertility and virility, but true wealth is found in the heart and soul first and then in the material world (DAO)
Crows haven't really studied but I like as being independent, clever birds, symbolic messengers between this world and the other, gatherers of information, and don't associate them really with death other than as opportunistic feeders clearing away what is discarded.
Hope that helps a little.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

seandmryan

Postby seandmryan » 15 Mar 2011, 00:13

hi
thanks for your helpful comments !!
BB
Sean

WrenWyrd
OBOD Bard

Postby WrenWyrd » 15 Mar 2011, 08:52

Earth dragons are barrow guardians.
Beware of the barrow!
Hedge-bandit, song-bomb, dart-beak, the wren
hops in the thicket, flirt-eye; shy, brave,
grubbing, winter's scamp, but more than itself–
ten requisite grams of the world's weight.

—Carol Ann Duffy

Return to “Druid Animal Oracle (DAO) Study Group”