Druid Fiction/Novels

For discussion of books, movies, plays and other literature relevant to Druidry
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
=West=
OBOD Bard

Druid Fiction/Novels

Postby =West= » 03 Oct 2010, 14:09

Hi All - Seeking recommendations on good novels involving Druidry (or other related forms of Paganism).

Some that I'm aware of:

The Way of Wyrd
Mists of Avalon (Bradley)
Bard - (Morgan Llywelyn)
Druids - (Morgan Llywelyn)
Priestess of the Forest (Hopman)
StoneWylde series (Kit Berry)

Any others you would recommend? I'm hoping to find something along the lines of 'The Teachings of Don Juan' - but for Druids!

Cerys
OBOD Bard

Re: Druid Fiction/Novels

Postby Cerys » 07 Oct 2010, 16:59

Good question - I am always looking for novels involving paganism and druidry (particularly historical novels) and haven't found many I like lately.

One book I enjoyed was Juliet Marillier's Daughter of the Forest. Druidry isn't the main focus, but it is a nice element in the story. Her later books were a bit too repetitive and too heavy on the "romance novel" plot lines for me but this first one was lovely.

Cerys

Cerys
OBOD Bard

Postby Cerys » 07 Oct 2010, 17:11

I wasn't on the message board very often this summer and after posting my reply above, I continued reading through the 14 pages (!!) of posts uploaded since I last logged on :oops: and found this:

http://druidry.org/index.php?module=Pos ... /index.php

I plan on checking it out as soon as I can.

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 07 Oct 2010, 21:20

Glad someone posted about 'Bard' I read it years ago and wanted to re read it but I've been searching for it under Sam Llywellyn -so thats why I can't find it!
Not druid but the Tim Severin Viking book series are good, there's Odin's Child, Sworn Brother and King's Man
Graham Joyce is more a modern writer Tooth Fairy, Dark Sister, Stormwatcher all food with a pagan bent
Joanne Harris mixes magic into her modern stories, I especially liked Blackberry Wine, Chocolat and Sleep Pale Sister but there's loads more.
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

skydove
OBOD Ovate

Postby skydove » 07 Oct 2010, 21:22

Why did I type food when I should have typed books - must be hungry! :-)
Image 2010 SB Image2011 LI Image Image2011 SB
'much of what she heard from the trees was her own self echoed back'
http://www.suerodger.moonfruit.com/.
December 2013 Seminar - Mask Making with Plaster Bandages

=West=
OBOD Bard

Postby =West= » 08 Oct 2010, 11:46

I wasn't on the message board very often this summer and after posting my reply above, I continued reading through the 14 pages (!!) of posts uploaded since I last logged on :oops: and found this:

http://druidry.org/index.php?module=Pos ... /index.php

I plan on checking it out as soon as I can.
Can you check that link, Cerys? It just takes us to the root of the forum...

Cerys
OBOD Bard

Postby Cerys » 08 Oct 2010, 14:56

Oops - sorry about that.

Here is the Amazon link for it:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celtic-Maidens- ... 051&sr=8-1

You can also find it in the "Druid Marketplace" section of the forum, where there are other posts about OBOD members' published works. I posted in this thread before going through the entirety of that thread and now have a couple more books on my list. :)

Cerys

LadyAoftheshire
OBOD Ovate

Postby LadyAoftheshire » 01 May 2011, 10:49

This is an old thread I see, but I was just reminded about the "Wanderers" series.
Historical fiction surrounding druids, being a bard and are amazing.
* The Wanderers Series - Caiseal Mór
‘The Circle and the Cross” - ISBN: 0671037285
“The Song of the Earth” ISBN: 9780671037291
“The Water of Life” ISBN: 0671037307
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.- Davinci
Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day saying "I will try again tomorrow" Mary Anne Radmacher

Cerys
OBOD Bard

Postby Cerys » 06 May 2011, 13:35

Thanks for these suggestions - I'll have to check them out.

And I'd also like to amend my earlier post about Juliet Marillier. I've just reread all of her books that I own ... and then ordered most of the ones I didn't already have. So yes, I take back my former opinion that Daughter of the Forest was the only one I truly loved. I found myself feeling very "at home" with the worlds she creates this time around... and after reaching the end of one new book, I read that she is a member of OBOD! So, no wonder I like them. Having completed part of the Bardic course since the last time I read her work, I can certainly relate better to the druidic themes and rituals she describes.

Vapour Trail

Postby Vapour Trail » 08 May 2011, 22:05

I'm currently half way through a book by Mary Stewart called "The Crystal Cave" which is essentially a story about the early life of Merlin. What with my particular fascination for this character, it's hardly surprising that I picked this as the first fiction book to read in 10 years (all my other 300 have been non-fiction - it's not that I don't read or nuffink!).

You can find out information about this book at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Cave

I highly recommend it for those with an Arthurian interest, or those who want to read an action adventure with lots of druidry built in too. It has the most beautiful engaging prose I've read for ages, and I am really enjoying it. She has managed to completely weave a convincing spell of realism around this mythology and had brought the whole story to life wonderfully.

Mary Stewart - The Crystal Cave.
Positive energies.

Vapour Trail
...and then he was gone...

http://www.hedgedruid.com : The dowsing and druidry blog

Return to “The Reading Room”