The Lorax

For discussion of books, movies, plays and other literature relevant to Druidry
Forum rules
If you find a topic of interest and want to continue the discussion then start a new topic under The Hearthfire with a similar name and add a link back to the topic you want to continue.
To copy a link just copy the url on the top left of your browser and then put in your post, highlight it and press the url button.
Lorraine S.

The Lorax

Postby Lorraine S. » 26 Mar 2012, 11:53

Ok, this is one of my favorite books. It always has been. IMO Dr. Seuss was far ahead of the rest of the world as far as teaching children about the need for caring for the environment. So now they have made this cherished book into a movie. With songs, even. And Betty White and Danny Devito. Man, I am in heaven!

But wait, it gets better! The last song in the movie is a song called "Let it Grow." It is a real catchy tune that actually has a great meaning to it. The refrain is as follows:
Let it grow
Let it grow
You can't reap what you don't sow
Plant a seed inside the earth
Just one way to know it's worth
Let's celebrate the world's rebirth
We say let it grow
So after the movie, I went to the ladie's room (yes, I drank a soda so sue me!) and coming from one another stall I could hear a little voice singing, "Let it grow, let it grow..."

2 movie tickets: $15.00
drinks and snacks: $23.75
The fact that the message reached a 3 yr old via a catchy tune: Priceless!

Now I just hope that the parents that saw this with their kids get the message. Imagine how much less waste we would have if 1/2 of the people that saw the movie took the message to heart. Ok, a gal can dream, right? :wink:

Aynfean
OBOD Bard

Re: The Lorax

Postby Aynfean » 26 Mar 2012, 15:34

I loved the movie. Took my daughter to go see it as soon as it opened. It totally touched both of us. During the one "exodus" scene (trying to avoid too many spoilers haha) we were both sat there in tears.

Susanne
OBOD Ovate

Postby Susanne » 26 Mar 2012, 22:32

I have loved "The Lorax" for years & have the original DVD of it somewhere...actually it may be on VHS!
I was wondering how the movie would be. I hate to say it but I've become so cynical that I figured they'd probably ruin it. Does everyone still need a thneed?!
I guess I'll have to go see it. :-)

Lorraine S.

Postby Lorraine S. » 27 Mar 2012, 09:26

Does everyone still need a thneed?!
Yep,they do! It was a bit updated from the original ("Consumer studies show if you put something in a small plastic bottle people will buy it...") but the essence is still there. It is much better than any of the recent updates to his work, IMO.

Aoife
OBOD Bard

Postby Aoife » 17 Aug 2012, 13:29

Read to me as a child and has had a special place in my heart since. I haven't seen the movie though...anyone know if it's any good?

Bricklayer

Postby Bricklayer » 07 Dec 2012, 22:55

Dr. Seuss was quite the Bard.. I always liked. Green eggs and ham.

RidgeDruid
OBOD Ovate

Postby RidgeDruid » 08 Dec 2012, 02:11

We did a full reading of the Lorax at a bardic circle a few years ago!
Formerly known as A.O. MacLyr

Image Image

Return to “The Reading Room”